dcsimg

Outdoor Smart Plug

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I know decades ago it was mandatory to have the block heaters on new cars sold here in Canada, but with engine technology advancements over the years, I’m not sure this is still the case. Most people just didn’t know where the plug was stashed in the engine compartment which was typically in and around under the battery holder. But nowadays, engines are not as susceptible to cold weather start damage as they used to be apparently.

It’s actually the battery you need to keep warm to get the car going. You can have a nice toasty engine, but if the battery is near the end of its life and it’s a super cold one morning, it just won’t deliver the necessary juice to start the engine. For that. they have plug in battery blankets.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Clev08
    Pro

I have a magnetic engine block heater but I don’t use it very much. From what little I know it helps warm the oil so that it can lubricate the engine properly and reduce wear while the engine is warming up the oil. I have a switch in my house that controls a circuit in my garage so I just flick the switch when I’m wake up in the morning.

Never heard of that. So it’s basically a magnetic on a cord , is it permanently installed on the car/truck and you just plug it in. Or can you place the magnet anywhere on the engine.
    I’ll have to Google this.

It’s supposed to go on the bottom of the oil pan. The instructions say to remove it after each use and before you drive, unless you use a metal strap to secure it to the oil pan. I think the only reason is so that it doesn’t come off if you hit a big bump.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Most people just didn’t know where the plug was stashed in the engine compartment which was typically in and around under the battery holder. But nowadays, engines are not as susceptible to cold weather start damage as they used to be apparently.

My 2001 GMC pick up had the cord for the block heater fasten to the frame by the fender well. You could see it when looking in behind the tire.

The truck I have now has a battery blanket around the battery. I don’t think you can plug it in.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have a magnetic engine block heater but I don’t use it very much. From what little I know it helps warm the oil so that it can lubricate the engine properly and reduce wear while the engine is warming up the oil. I have a switch in my house that controls a circuit in my garage so I just flick the switch when I’m wake up in the morning.

Never heard of that. So it’s basically a magnetic on a cord , is it permanently installed on the car/truck and you just plug it in. Or can you place the magnet anywhere on the engine.
    I’ll have to Google this.

It’s supposed to go on the bottom of the oil pan. The instructions say to remove it after each use and before you drive, unless you use a metal strap to secure it to the oil pan. I think the only reason is so that it doesn’t come off if you hit a big bump.

Sh okay , thanks for the info.
    I have had a few cars or trucks with the block heater elements.
    Basically just a heater that gets put into the engine block in place of those frost plugs on the engine block.
    I used to use it on my Honda Civic made a huge difference , had a programmable timer. Set up to go on about 3 hours before I left for work.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I found out this morning I unplugged the outdoor smart plug last night while plugging my wife’s van into the extension cord.

Doesn’t that always seem to happen. One thing I don’t like about these smart devices lose power and they forget everything and you have to set them back up.

Haha yeah , welcome to the world of technology 🤔 unless they have a small backup battery.

I am not sure I like technology sometimes. I think the biggest problem was the app not the device.
    Amyways I still happy with outdoor smart plug.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Most people just didn’t know where the plug was stashed in the engine compartment which was typically in and around under the battery holder. But nowadays, engines are not as susceptible to cold weather start damage as they used to be apparently.

My 2001 GMC pick up had the cord for the block heater fasten to the frame by the fender well. You could see it when looking in behind the tire.

The truck I have now has a battery blanket around the battery. I don’t think you can plug it in.

I wonder if it is not hooked up also when you plug in the heater? What does the owners manual say?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I wonder if it is not hooked up also when you plug in the heater? What does the owners manual say?

I am not sure Kevin. I will have a look.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I couldn’t find anything in the owners manual about it. I didn’t see anything about a block heater.

I took a picture of the battery blanket. I didn’t see any wires coming from it.

@doobie

Greg

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.414 seconds