dcsimg

Outdoor Smart Plug

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have decide to buy a Outdoor Smart Plug. I want to use it plug our vehicles block heaters into to. By using a app on my phone I can set a timer on both plugs for different times. This way we can plug them in for few hours instead of several hours. I found a article online saying you only need to plug a vehicle in for 4 hours.

I thought this Outdoor Smart Plug would be nice to use for our Outdoor Christmas lights too. As sometimes they get left on overnight.

Maybe I will save alittle on my Hydro bill.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/what-is-the-benefit-of-plugging-in-my-car-to-a-block-heater-and-when-should-i-do-it/article27446878/

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I want to use it plug our vehicles block heaters into to.

What do block heaters do??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

A block heater is a heating element that used to warm the engine. This helps the engine start easier in colder weather.

Greg

Doobie
    Pro

A block heater is a heating element that used to warm the engine. This helps the engine start easier in colder weather.

Some people will even buy battery blanlets to help start their vehicles.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have decide to buy a Outdoor Smart Plug. I want to use it plug our vehicles block heaters into to. By using a app on my phone I can set a timer on both plugs for different times. This way we can plug them in for few hours instead of several hours. I found a article online saying you only need to plug a vehicle in for 4 hours.

Sounds like a good idea, rather than plugging in the vehicle all night just start the juice 4 hours before start-up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Some people will even buy battery blanlets to help start their vehicles.

Yes I have heard of this. I kinda forgot about battery blankets.

Sounds like a good idea, rather than plugging in the vehicle all night just start the juice 4 hours before start-up.

I thought it was a good idea too. I will give it a try. I got Outdoor Smart plug set up. I will give it a try this weekend see how it works.

Greg

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I thought this Outdoor Smart Plug would be nice to use for our Outdoor Christmas lights too. As sometimes they get left on overnight.

Maybe I will save alittle on my Hydro bill.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/what-is-the-benefit-of-plugging-in-my-car-to-a-block-heater-and-when-should-i-do-it/article27446878/

I used to use one ,
    But it was the programmable older style , I gave up on hooking it up now. It’s just used for my Christmas lights lol
    That one you bought looks like a decent idea.

Doobie
    Pro

I actually ran my outside front entrance plug to a programmable switch recepticle just inside my front entrance. I never plug in vehicles, but it works great for Christmas lights.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have eight eave mounted receptacles at all corners and mid points of the roof overhangs for Christmas lights, and I never used it once LOL.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I actually ran my outside front entrance plug to a programmable switch recepticle just inside my front entrance.

That is a good idea.

I never plug in vehicles,

I don’t always plug my vehicles. I plug my vehicles in when the temps get down around -18C.

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We don’t see a lot of issues on gas engines around here but the block heaters are a great help when starting a Diesel. We have them on our skid loaders, Forklift and Dump Trucks and use them regularly if they are not kept inside

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

We don’t see a lot of issues on gas engines around here but the block heaters are a great help when starting a Diesel. We have them on our skid loaders, Forklift and Dump Trucks and use them regularly if they are not kept inside

My vehicle’s start find in the cold weather. I am just wanting to reduce the warm up time and make things easier on everything whens cold.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I found out this morning I unplugged the outdoor smart plug last night while plugging my wife’s van into the extension cord.

Once the outdoor smart plug has been unplugged . You have set it back up to wifi and the app on your phone. The app on my phone couldn’t find the outdoor smart plug. I ended up removing the outdoor smart plug from the devices on the app. I added the smart plug again and it worked fine. I really not sure what happen.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I found out this morning I unplugged the outdoor smart plug last night while plugging my wife’s van into the extension cord.

Doesn’t that always seem to happen. One thing I don’t like about these smart devices lose power and they forget everything and you have to set them back up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Doesn’t that always seem to happen. One thing I don’t like about these smart devices lose power and they forget everything and you have to set them back up.

Haha yeah , welcome to the world of technology 🤔 unless they have a small backup battery.

I think @doobie has the right idea. You will have much better luck finding smart switches that will have timer abilities and smart phone and app control. You just have to make sure the outlet and device you are switching doesn’t exceed the switches load capacity.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh ,, I see. So it’s like a freeze plug and the trans radiator inside the cars main radiator. Something I never need.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Clev08
    Pro

I have a magnetic engine block heater but I don’t use it very much. From what little I know it helps warm the oil so that it can lubricate the engine properly and reduce wear while the engine is warming up the oil. I have a switch in my house that controls a circuit in my garage so I just flick the switch when I’m wake up in the morning.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have a magnetic engine block heater but I don’t use it very much

That is basically how some work, others warm the water in the cooling system, depends on where the element is.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have a magnetic engine block heater but I don’t use it very much. From what little I know it helps warm the oil so that it can lubricate the engine properly and reduce wear while the engine is warming up the oil. I have a switch in my house that controls a circuit in my garage so I just flick the switch when I’m wake up in the morning.

Never heard of that. So it’s basically a magnetic on a cord , is it permanently installed on the car/truck and you just plug it in. Or can you place the magnet anywhere on the engine.
    I’ll have to Google this.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.545 seconds