dcsimg

Outdoor Furniture

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 413 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

I decided to create a topic dedicated to this project and anyone else who is or has done anything like this.

It probably won’t get exciting until I actually start assembling pieces, so bare with me.

It’s kind of funny, but despite being a carpentry contractor forever and having so many routers, I really am a novice in their use. Using them with patterns is just not something I did very often, so it’s kind of neat.

Today I was working the back legs of my chairs. I had previously cut them out of 2×6 with a track saw. I decided to use a pattern to round off the top and now I realize that I could have probably used a pattern and router to cut the whole thing. I’m not sure it would have been any faster, but the size and shape would be identical for all 8 that I had to cut. Not that the ones I made were noticeably off. So I cut the tops and then sanded all the milled sides.

I’ll ease all the edges at another time.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

What kind of fastener/joinery were you planning on using Mark?

What are you going to use for a finish on your outdoor furniture Mark?

I see you have that Bosch half sheet sander I’ll be cashing in my piggies for in the not too distant future. Did it prove to be the needed sander for the job? What areas did it prove itself better than other sander types? I’ve been looking into getting Abranet for it when I get mine. Would yourself have any reason to believe Abranet abrasives would be harmful to the pad? (Sorry if I’m derailing a bit with the Abranet Q’s.)

redwood
    Pro

The joinery will be sipo dominos and TB3 glue.

At this point I’m planning on using a semi transparent stain/sealer. This Port Orford Cedar is surprisingly dense and the samples I’ve done don’t add much color.

I used both the rotex sander and the 1/2 sheet sander. The Rotex to even everything out and the 1/2 sheet sander for the final sanding. I like the 1/2 sheet sander because it has the largest surface area. I have no reason to believe one way or another whether the Abranet would harm the pad.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Routing from a pattern is awesome! It kind of feels like cheating in a way because its so easy.

What did you make your pattern out of? I have only used 1/4 hardboard or a piece I handcut (which becomes the pattern) myself, but I suppose anything would work.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Looks like a fun project! Looking forward to seeing more.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

This is an interesting video I think fits in here.

Doobie

https://youtu.be/p7l3_THa-Yk

Cool video. Not crazy about the armrest design, but cool video.

redwood
    Pro

What did you make your pattern out of? I have only used 1/4 hardboard or a piece I handcut (which becomes the pattern) myself, but I suppose anything would work.

I’m not sure I could run a bearing against 1/4″ hardboard, while routing 1 1/2″ material. I used some scrap 3/4″ plywood.

The chair backs will be interesting since I’m routing the whole top, there is no place to clamp the template, so I am going to try double sided carpet tape to hole the pattern to the 5/4×4 back rail.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

After watching that video, it’s pretty obvious that I need some more tools in my shop.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Interesting chair for sure, some of Frank’s videos are a good watch.

Mark what other tools you thinking you need now?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m not sure I could run a bearing against 1/4″ hardboard, while routing 1 1/2″ material. I used some scrap 3/4″ plywood.

The chair backs will be interesting since I’m routing the whole top, there is no place to clamp the template, so I am going to try double sided carpet tape to hole the pattern to the 5/4×4 back rail.

Carpet tape is a good idea and should work well for you, Mark

For heavier work, I have used 1/2″ MDF for a pattern but, if you have the 3/4″ ply; no problems.

That huge bandsaw in the video would never fit in my shop but would be cool to have.

This is a prefect time of year to have an outdoor furniture thread, thanks, Mark.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

After watching that video, it’s pretty obvious that I need some more tools in my shop.

Me Too Mark! I always enjoy watching his videos.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Don’t we all. I always enjoyed watching the New Yankee Workshop. He had a great layout and a power tool for everything.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great video, thanks Brian, his videos are always cool, I remember someone had posted another sometimes ago about a bandsaw I think,

@redwood
    great topic thanks for starting this one Mark, looking forward to seeing your chairs.

And pick up some good tips for building and or staining

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Mark it would defiantly be easier to rout the whole leg or parts.
    If you screw the pattern to your piece where there will be a screw hole in final assembly it also marks that hole for you. You wouldn’t have to use clamps.
    I would cut the part 1/16 – 1/8 bigger on your band saw or whatever then run the router around and it is done.
    We used to make lots of parts like this using the shaper . After the cnc machines came out they cut most the parts.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Don’t we all. I always enjoyed watching the New Yankee Workshop. He had a great layout and a power tool for everything.

Norm’s shop was the best. Although I consider myself a hybrid woodworker (power and hand tools) more than he did, I still envied his setup.

Doobie

Norm’s shop was the best. Although I consider myself a hybrid woodworker (power and hand tools) more than he did, I still envied his setup.

It wasn’t his shop. The shop belonged to the show’s producer Russell Morash.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Carpet tape is perfect.

When using ply as a template be Very careful that there aren’t any voids in the ply along the edges. If you hit one with the bearing, your piece is ruined…and you’ll have to generate another template on top of that.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I wonder if it ever got covered, does he have his own shop and what does or would it look like?

Doobie

I wonder if it ever got covered, does he have his own shop and what does or would it look like?

I don’t recall ever seeing it even on TOH episodes although I don’t watch that show much ever.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 413 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.911 seconds