dcsimg

Outdated cordless tools

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    sergey061478
    Blocked

I tried to build up and old ni-cad , changed it to a lipo r c battery , wow the thing lasts forever, from my old 2.4 amp hour I went to a 2.8 does not seam like a big jump, but I tell you it is so so much lighter in weight , and it runs for a longer time. it only cost 35 dollars and I did have to buy a special charger, for 20 dollars, but it was well worth it,

but still might make the change to the new Bosch lithium. esc now with the 4 or 5 and 6 amp batteries ,

The lithium batteries by Bosch are pretty sweet. I’m not saying to freeze them but I put the 12v through some serious outdoor testing this Winter. One 12v was in the FL12 and buried under snow for over a month and the other a fully charged 12v left in the snow. Both worked 100% after the massive cold snaps and crazy Winter we had this year. I’m not so positive you can do that with the Ni-Cad. Congrats on giving yourself some more juice with the upgrade to the 2.8

Oh yeah I definitely remember that,
    That was a great test, and the Fl 12 still worked flawless, but don’t you have two lights now ;). BTW the ni-cads actually work better in the cold. I have even put them in the freezer for an hour, then put it in the drill and tap on the battery a couple of times, it apparently knocks the dentrites off the battery cells. For longer life. Don’t do it often, but it seams to work.

@Maukarunner, I will take a picture later today when I get home. It is the same battery pack accordingly the original, just replaced the battery pack to the R C lipo. Plus I bought a charger. I will post a picture of the charger also.

yes, changing cell type is another option. I have not done that, but there are plenty of youtube videos showing the process. I just replace NiCd cells with new ones from e-bay. works well for me and quick and cheap to do.

@Maukarunner, I will take a picture later today when I get home. It is the same battery pack accordingly the original, just replaced the battery pack to the R C lipo. Plus I bought a charger. I will post a picture of the charger also.

Could you please, Brian. I’d also like to see how the cells were connected. I know there are cells which are solderable but just wondering how your’s are connected.

For my Makita, I have a long enough area for the RC LiPo to be slid in with very minor modifications. I just have to solder in a Dean’s connector and I should be good.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

@Boschmanbrian I am wondering how do you avoid the power tool from over-discharging the LiPo battery?

Could you please, Brian. If you could, I’d also like to see how the cells were connected. I know there are cells which are solderable but just wondering how your’s are connected.

For my Makita, I have a long enough area for the RC LiPo to be slid in with very minor modifications. I just have to solder in a Dean’s connector and I should be good.

This is what it looks like, I removed the old pack, solder the new leads, and fit it in the case, and it’s done. The next one I will do. I will also use the small plug, it is for balance charging.

@Boschmanbrian I am wondering how do you avoid the power tool from over-discharging the LiPo battery?

I could put a small buzzer, to much trouble. I just go by experience. But I can tell you one thing, the battery is very powerful and long lasting. Plus about a 1/4 of the weight of the original. As I mentioned to Eric @Maukarunner the next one I will use the small plug with the 5 wires, it is for balance charging.

I could put a small buzzer, to much trouble. I just go by experience. But I can tell you one thing, the battery is very powerful and long lasting. Plus about a 1/4 of the weight of the original. As I mentioned to Eric @Maukarunner the next one I will use the small plug with the 5 wires, it is for balance charging.

So are you using the Bosch charger to charge the pack? Thought the LiPo’s were supposed to be charged with the LiPo charger?

So are you using the Bosch charger to charge the pack? Thought the LiPo’s were supposed to be charged with the LiPo charger?

Correct Eric, like I mentioned earlier, I bought a separate charger for them. Was fairly cheap 20 dollars, good for all types of chargeable batteries. I will post a picture later tonight.

Awesome. I replaced my nicad with lithiulm ion tools. They last forever. I was out of state and didnt use my 18 volt tools in over 5 months. They still had a charge and was able to work with them this past week. They hold a charge for a long time.

It is cheaper to buy new tools then too replace the battery. I have a whole set of 18volt bosch power tools. Each tool bought came with a battery and combo set comes with 2 batteries. So yes im covered with many batteries

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I replaced my nicad with lithiulm ion tools. They last forever. I was out of state and didnt use my 18 volt tools in over 5 months. They still had a charge and was able to work with them this past week.

It is cheaper to buy new tools then too replace the battery. I

One of the advantages of LithIon over NiCad is that fact that LithIon holds a charge on the shelf where Nicad starts losing the charge once it is off the charger.

Curios deal but you are right sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new tool with battery and charger than it is to just buy a replacement battery. Who knows why.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Maukarunner, hey Eric. This is a picture of the chargers and battery, plus you can notice the difference in weight.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

@Boschmanbrian that is a really neat idea you have changing the cells to make use of the old tools you have. You are a lot more dedicated to saving your old tools than most people would be.

@Boschmanbrian that is a really neat idea you have changing the cells to make use of the old tools you have. You are a lot more dedicated to saving your old tools than most people would be.

I know , I just feel bad , all my Cordless Bosch tools are working great, I have 2 hammer drills a drill driver 3 impactors, 2 circular saws, jig saw, sawsal, planer, the power box, 3 flashlights.
    it just seems ashame to just get rid of them, if I didn’t have that many cordless, I would go for the newer lithium, even if I sell them ,nobody wants the old tech. and I would not get much either. and the lipo battery cost me 35 dollars , plus a charger at 20 dollars.

I hate getting rid my old tools as well.
    Great idea there.

Doobie

Getting ready to dump an old nicad Milwaukee 18V. Gonna miss her.

Question is, do I cash piggies towards a Bosch, or spend real coin and get a Festool. Struggling with this.

Both great tools

I cant afford festool. But i do want their sander. Bosch 18v is great as well

@Maukarunner, hey Eric. This is a picture of the chargers and battery, plus you can notice the difference in weight.

Wow, large weight savings! How does the charger connect? To the positive and negative terminals on the battery pod? If you ever tear it apart again I’d like to see how the battery configurations is. Pretty cool! I have my in-law’s Dewalt and would like to see if I can get it back to use by doing what you did.

If you do end up retiring a tool, there are charities out there that can use working tools, even if they have to go spend money buying/refurbing batteries.

Charlie your right
    Tools will always be put to good use.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.457 seconds