dcsimg

Our Van Remodel

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Very well thought out and exucuted. Well done

Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

Hi Andrew, Very well designed and built van. How is the weight balance, any issues with being heavier on the one side? Also, you obviously prefer the van versus a dedicated, any reason in particular?

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Gotta show these pics to my son-in-law. He really needs a van remodel for his drywall business! Good job!

Pat

looks great. How long do you think it will stay organized?

Hi Andrew, Very well designed and built van. How is the weight balance, any issues with being heavier on the one side? Also, you obviously prefer the van versus a dedicated, any reason in particular?

Hey Andre. It is probably a bit heavier on the driver’s side, but it always has been. It’s the nature of having more storage length on that side because of the doors on the passenger side. It is a super duty 350 so it doesnt feel offbalance. In reality we did add more tools, but we eliminated a lot of useless cases and eliminated excess fasteners and equipment that we just didn’t need to carry.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

looks great. How long do you think it will stay organized?

So far so good! It is easy and quick to put everything back so it gets put back. Today we had it full of material for a job. We had out a lot of the boxes and tools. It was all put back together in less than 10 minutes. That was our main objective…if it’s difficult or annoying to put things back, they won’t get put back. We had a client look in there yesterday and say how impressed they were of the organization. As silly as it may sound, the van can generate work for us too.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It is a super duty 350 so it doesnt feel offbalance.

Did you say it’s a Ford 1 ton?

It is a super duty 350 so it doesnt feel offbalance.

Did you say it’s a Ford 1 ton?

Yep. Extended with the 7.3 diesel. It’s an 01 and has held up pretty well. It has a little bit of rust but nothing very noticeable.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yep. Extended with the 7.3 diesel. It’s an 01 and has held up pretty well. It has a little bit of rust but nothing very noticeable.

I just looked at a chevy 3500= one ton today for a good price too. It looked good and had a new motor put in 6 years ago but do I need a one ton? I think a ¾ ton should be plenty?

I just looked at a chevy 3500= one ton today for a good price too. It looked good and had a new motor put in 6 years ago but do I need a one ton? I think a ¾ ton should be plenty?

3/4 ton would be fine. When we bought this it was our only tow vehicle. It needed to haul our gear and our 18′ covered trailer or our Bobcat and trailer.

I can’t think of a downside to the one ton though if it’s a good price for you. Big plus for you is no rust…red dirt…but no rust…lol!

Andrew

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

The van looks much better and very well organized . nice work !

Looks great man! When you have some time… Im curious to see just how much you can fit in the XL and also curious about the drawer model. Im thinking of getting both, but I don’t know if they will work for me.

We use the drawer unit as our main fastener organizer. This isn’t for nails, those are in buckets in our trailer. We keep screws, tapcons, etc. in this. We cut down oil quarts to give us some more small fastener storage. Our trim box on the passenger side has cabinet screws, pocket screws, etc.

The XL boxes are our everyday tools. They hold quite a bit. I know Dirty keeps his Makita kit in his. Here is what is always in mine less the tool belt. I also keep my impact and an extra battery in there.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I can’t think of a downside to the one ton though if it’s a good price for you. Big plus for you is no rust…red dirt…but no rust…lol!

The down side is the bigger motor and more gas. Also with not a lot of weight in the back the amount of bounce over the back wheels and my compressor and things bouncing around? Isn’t the ride on the one ton very rigid till it’s loaded?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@iFixHomes here all the goods in my T-box.

@iFixHomes here all the goods in my T-box.

Thanks Dirty. I can fit 4 batteries, circ saw, two drills, impact, flashlight and grinder in a medium but I have to have the tray out to do so. I don’t like that so I usually keep the circ saw out.

Ill have to get a couple bigger boxes.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That is the big boxx. The sander is not in there, it bends up the sanding pad. I do keep 2 4½ grinders in there tho. Also 4 batteries. and charger.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh so sorry bout the derail
    Was the me or Kam?

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I just caught this thread. Nice job re-working the van! It looks really efficient and organized. Do you think it has helped you to speed up jobs or save you some time in general?

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Nicely organized Over! I started out in a caravan many years ago. That didn’t last too long due to suspension (or lack thereof!).

I moved up to 1 ton Fords, and then went to hauling a 5×8.5 trailer. Out grew that, so started hauling a 6×12. Out grew that, so I decided I was going to order the ultimate trailer…..one I’d never out grow….a 7×20 with extra height. Guess what? It’s like garages…..you can never build them too big or have too much space!

I do a lot of different types of things in a day and never know what may get added when I get to a job. I also keep a supply of things I regularly use for repairs so I don’t have to run to the store too often. It’s nice not getting to the job and realizing I left a tool in the shop that I really need.

But I’m NOT buying a bigger one! I just keep reworking things as I acquire new tools. Tool Buyers Anonymous has really worked for me! I think I’m on about my 7th revision of the 2012 trailer I have!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

here all the goods in my T-box.

I’m still impressed whenever I see you post that much can fit into a T-BOX. That’s pretty awesome.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.356 seconds