dcsimg

Our Spring/Summer 2014 Reno

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 417 total)
  • Author
    Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

No glue.

Carpenter-Hockey Fan-Cheap Beer Connoisseur

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Looking good. Keep up the good work and updates for us.

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

So back to the deck job today… seems like those asbestos guys will never finish haha.

Got a start on the stairs. Threw some temp treads on them, I will be back when the project is nearing the final few days to do the skirt, risers and treads.

Also got a start on the front stairs. Only 3 rises, but 11 feet wide. I will finish those tomorrow.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

brutus, if you glue the posts in conjunction with blocking its even stronger..

when myself or one other guy on our crew do posts we can drive our shoulder into em and hardly move them… ive seen other guys attempt it and i can move the post with two fingers

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

brutus, if you glue the posts in conjunction with blocking its even stronger..

Yup I put a load of subfloor gule in there. After blocking it in I recheck for plumb and if needed I use little wedges to tune it in. Once the Glue sets up they are done!

@Brutus
    I like a shot of the bottom post detail on those wide stairs going up to the deck.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Interesting project. Can’t wait to see what it looks like when it’s all finished. Is it common to find asbestos up there?

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

@svensshutters Asbestos is found on most jobs in renos in that area of town. Lots of really old homes.

@DirtyWhiteBoy
    I didn’t get this message until I got home, I won’t be back there until it’s time to build the roof over the outdoor kitchen or for the stair finishing. Skirt, risers, picture framed treads… the whole sha-bang.

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

So another day at the big deck. Brought my gear as I was working on the opposite side of the building doing the front entry stairs.

11 feet wide. They plan to landscape right up to the sides, so we didn’t do a skirt or mitre’d risers.

I also realized I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to tools. That’s the Hitachi saw I bought a few weeks ago for 75$.

Labourer and apprentice worked on the back decking, and the lead worked on the picture frame and the left side decking. Gone through 3500 screws on the decking alone so far and not even 1/3 done hahah.

I am back to the other job tomorrow. Will return to this one later. The boysshould complete the decking this week and start on the rails. Theres going to be glass all along the back. Going to look awesome.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Nice looking stringers.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

uhhhh for a deck that large why in gods name are you guys using 4″ decking its 30 % more work to put it down and that much more screws

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looking good Brutus. I like the pic frame on the steps.

So another day at the big deck. Brought my gear as I was working on the opposite side of the building doing the front entry stairs.

11 feet wide. They plan to landscape right up to the sides, so we didn’t do a skirt or mitre’d risers.

I also realized I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to tools. That’s the Hitachi saw I bought a few weeks ago for 75$.

Labourer and apprentice worked on the back decking, and the lead worked on the picture frame and the left side decking. Gone through 3500 screws on the decking alone so far and not even 1/3 done hahah.

I am back to the other job tomorrow. Will return to this one later. The boysshould complete the decking this week and start on the rails. Theres going to be glass all along the back. Going to look awesome.

It’s like a bowling lane you made . Nice job on the deck .

Always willing to learn .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow looking good.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

uhhhh for a deck that large why in gods name are you guys using 4″ decking its 30 % more work to put it down and that much more screws

Home owner gets what home owner wants.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Home owner gets what home owner wants.

That would explain it.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ahh… so they want to spend more money on labour…….company i was with before topsail would only use 4″ decking and he had us hand nail it alwasy… but at teh same time we sorta had too.. he was too cheap to get his framing gun fixed.. when we did need a gun we had to borrow one.. although we did frame 2/3 of a 4000 sq ft custom by hand… that sucked especially since he was buying gun nails instead of hand nails and spikes.. i would bill an extra 2 hrs every day because i woiuld sit in front of the tv cutting apart the racks of nails

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Buddy owns the Tantallon Vet Clinic. Money aint an issue

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Back to the reno job today. Did some framing on the rack walls. And cleaned up the connections between the new roof and the exisiting structure.

That’s not that excitig. But the fact that the wall that’s going away is non bearing is sweeeet. Gotta deal with leftovers from some hack plumbers…. we’re surprised the tub above hasnt crashed through the ceiling it’s so bad.

And there is some real effed up framing to the right of the 1st pic…

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

gotta love the old framing from the 1900 era down in that part of town… a few companys have found old military tunnels that date back to the mid 1800’s around there brutus

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Nice, maybe we will find something when we dig the hole for the garage foundation

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 417 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.423 seconds