dcsimg

Our Spring/Summer 2014 Reno

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 417 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like a fun project. Hope it goes well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Looking at the house in the pictures it seems if you do a good job here there will be more work for you.

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hey all!

No pics from Thursday, because it was mostly demo day and prep for roof framing/sheeting.

Here we go. It was spec’d out as a 1.5/12. We decided to bump that up to a 2/12 because where the ledger board landed below the windows.

We left such a huge over hang to allow the home owner to come and select their own. We ended up matching it up with the existing house.

Ice and watered the whole roof for water protection until the roofers can come and do the torch down.

Boss sent the apprentice over from the other job to help get this moving, and it was a good thing. It started to rain last night. I am glad, I didn’t want another Friday of staying late.. haha.

Carpenter-Hockey Fan-Cheap Beer Connoisseur

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see someones got a rope on their a55 on that nasty roof Man what we have to do to work today!
    Is that sub-fascia and does it get covered? Our fascia is almost always left exposed and we always 45º cut the corners.

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

There’s been a safety blitz by labour board these days. Tickets for unsafe work being handed out everywhere..

Sub fascia will be covered with 1×10. I think it’s going to be a pvc product. Not 100%sure oon the final decision yet..

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

brutus have you guys actually seen any saftey reps lately, i know down in the south end they linger, but in the area im working in their pretty much non existant

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

@Jkirk

Nah, other than our own safety rep, no labour board.

Our rep comes out bi weekly and won’t leave until she finds something wrong. Last time it was because I was using a step ladder leaned against the wall instead of opened up… she doesn’t issue fines, just writes it down and says how we can fix the issue.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

Sounds like its the boss’ s wife or do you actually have someone on payroll for that

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Payroll

She also does the safety for Cresco, Integrity and some other builders. We do have a guy as day to day safety officer, but this lady deals with all our PPE as well and will get stuff for us if we need it. Coworker ordered some glasses and a respirator from her.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

brutus have you guys actually seen any saftey reps lately, i know down in the south end they linger, but in the area im working in their pretty much non existent

That’s the thing is they are non existent till they pull up and you not in line. Then it’s the work stoppage and the interviews, fines, meeting to talk about the BS ect.ect.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man safety reps sound like a hassle.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Asbestos guys came in today to tear out old plasterand flooring to make the new eat in kitchen. This wall is going away.

So after we moved everything out of their way (light fixtures, plumbing fixtures and other things), I went to help the other crew on the big deck job. 2000 sq ft.. wraps all the way around to the front of the house. I was brought in for my framing experience. This thing is massive.

Asbestos guys will be another day or two. I’ll be working on the deck some more tomorrow. Setting all the rail posts

Wow! That is massive! The flashing detailing looks great!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

brutus have you guys actually seen any saftey reps lately, i know down in the south end they linger, but in the area im working in their pretty much non existent

That’s the thing is they are non existent till they pull up and you not in line. Then it’s the work stoppage and the interviews, fines, meeting to talk about the BS ect.ect.

thats what i hate,, ive only dealt with em once,, they were bitching about us not having the guard onteh table saw.. they wanted to know why it wasnt on the saw.. i told them straight up. im doing tapered cuts which require having the guard off . if its on i cant see what im cutting and it binds the material.. the worst part about it was how one of the saftey inspectors didnt even know what a table saw is

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@Brutus This is a great thread.
    Do these threads in Pro Projects need to get a OK from Aaron? Does it get any extra piggys?

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

@DirtyWhiteBoy

No extra points or anything.

So today, I was on the big deck project again. Set most of the posts. Apprentice and labourer did a few others and took care of issues on the front. Part I was setting posts on was right in the sun, so I took a break and cut the stringers. Then helped the lead map out for the roof that is getting extended over the cooking and eating are of this deck…. yea.. it’s big. 3 times bigger than my apartment haha.

Only took pics of the stringers… posts are boring.

Heading with the guy I regularly work with tomorrow to look at another job. It’s supposed to rain all day, so deck crew is off for the day.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

how do you guys lock your posts in, do you block them both ways to ensure they stay plumb? handrail posts that is

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

@jkirk

Oh yea, blocked both ways.

Laggs used on privacy walls on top of the blocking

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

for our handrails we drop our posts down through leaving them 2″ off the ground this provides nailing for the skirting framing.. no bolts needed. once its all assembled our rails are twice as strong as a rail thats bolted

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Part I was setting posts on was right in the sun,

When you block em both ways do you use glue too? I guess these post are on the inside of the deck.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 417 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.656 seconds