dcsimg

Our Spring/Summer 2014 Reno

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 417 total)
  • Author
    Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Howdy all. We did the footings/ICF foundation and slab earlier on this one. We started framing the small mud room addition this week.

All together, there is going to be this addition, and the main floor is losing bearing walls and getting made open concept. Just in the top of these pics here, there is a roof top deck on a flat roof. That is going bye bye, and we are going with a new 1/12 roof up there to cover over the existing dining room and the new mudroom addition. There are also going to be some window and door changes. Along with flooring, trim, new lights… and all those other little things.

Here’s the pics I got so far, hopefully I remember to upload some more and keep a running journal of the progress. Last big job with this company I did lasted 7 months. And I forgot to take pics..

That black grid kinda stuff is the rain screen. Super easy to install and work with. Just score where you want to cut with your knife and it snaps like drywall. I found using a old, junky pair of tin snips helped for trimming it when I went a little long. Just gotta make sure you line up with the studs, and there are screw holes every 4″.

It’s called Ventgrid (http://ventgrid.com/) for those wondering.

Carpenter-Hockey Fan-Cheap Beer Connoisseur

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

From where I took the pics, there is a small garage behind me. That is getting demo’d and we are making a new shed that will incorporate a covered outdoor living space.

Time for me to get some rest. We tear off that old flat roof with deck tomorrow.

Well… maybe I’ll have a beer first..

Cool project! Will be fun to follow along!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Nice info and great pictures.
    Thanks

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i see your using that new plastic rain screen system.. how do you guys find it.. weve been getting approached regularly by the rep to try it but they have to come down on the price point with it.. another local company we do refferals with when were busy has been using it and find it shatters and its the best design

whats teh time frame for this new job

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

I think the time frame is 4 months all said and done.

Rainscreen is so easy to work with. I just did it today, obviously don’t have the new shingles on yet.. I’ll update when we get to that stage.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

how are you guys applying it. sheating stapler or are there holes in it at the intersection points to nail through. its been over a year since ive seen the stuff.. when we do shingles we use house slicker or lattice.. just depends on what the home owner wants to pay for

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

There are holes every 4 inches. Lined up with the studs and screw through with a 3-1/2‘‘ deck screw. Anywhere that couldn’t hit a stud got a 1-1/4‘‘ screw to avoid the ”porcupine” effect (as my boss calls it haha).

Stop by some day. Corner of Oakland and Waterloo. You’ll see my truck.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ohhh wait,, i drove by there the other day,, i know the house.. i saw debris in the driveway. you guys must not have had the trailer on site or filled it up and it didnt come back right away
    been a while since ive done shingles.. not since young avenue

Anonymous
    Inactive

This looks like it’ll be a fun one to follow, Thanks for the pics and keep em coming if ya can. And yeah I’ve never heard of that rain screen, I’ll check out the link

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Pretty neat little addition. Enjoy.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Looks like a nice project.

It is hard to remember to snap pics all the time. BTDT.

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Started the tear off of he roof top deck today…. so much pea gravel and moss… It was gross. Then when we got down to the tar, it started to get humming hot, and everything got covered in tar..

Oh, and the boys said the metal was just painted lead. I bet them it was copper. I win. Well, actually, we all win. Probably not gong to get that much for it, maybe enough for a pizza on Friday.

We did some kitchen tear out, too. But no pics of that. I forgot.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

those kind of tear offs are always messy, we did one down on black street 3 weeks ago that when it was opened up realizes it was 3 different rooflines framed over old leaking flat roofs.. each one had 2 layers of torch on

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

@jkirk

This was gross… Start the roof framing tomorrow! We looked over it again, and are bumping it up to a 2/12.

Should have it framed and sheeted by the weekend

Looks like fun.

When you say shingles your’e talking cedar?

And lead is worth something at scrap too. Maybe not enough to make a little bit worth your while but I know i can get $25 for an old car battery.

Also just wondering…what is the sqft price on that rainscreen? i was talking to a quarry rep and they were selling rainscreen for behind thin veneer and it was a little over $1 sqft. Not crazy expensive but not soemthing to leave out of a bid either

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

that rain screen system isnt cheap that brutus is using, its over $1 a sq ft i belive,, though home slicker is terrible too, i think its like $90 a roll and thers not much on a roll… lattice is only like $10 a sheet

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice, I haven’t seen copper used since I came out west. Looks like you’ll get lunch paid for.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice project B. I’m subscribed

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 417 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.368 seconds