dcsimg

osha ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

how manny of you have ever had to deal with osha? to day i saw a loco contractor with a pic on a 2×4 l brace nailed to the side of the house to do soffit. so has any one ever had to deal with osha?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Never personally. I hear that thy visit commercial sites frequently in my area though.

to day i saw a loco contractor with a pic on a 2×4 l brace nailed to the side of the house to do soffit.

What?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

il try and take a pic tomorrow

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have dealt with OSHA a few times. The best thing to do if the co. owner is not there is to politely decline to talk to them on the account you don’t want to incriminate you boss or self. Call the owner and get him there. The fines are huge! The foreman should not talk until he’s been trained to do so. Once the owner shows up he will deal with them. The OSHA person then will interview each employee alone. DO NOT LIE!!! They hate that, everyone story should match. The OSHA person will take the pics or video back to their boss and they will deal with the fines and talking to the GC.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

…should not talk until he’s been trained to do so. Once the owner shows up he will deal with them. The OSHA person then will interview each employee alone. DO NOT LIE!!!

Well said on the whole thing.
    Respectfully request they start at the top, if only so your boss knows where you are and what you’re doing.
    Answer any question and shut up. A long pause afterward from them is so you will keep talking, … and talking … .
    I haven’t dealt with OSHA, but interview techniques are the same with any agency. Been there, done that.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

what is the canadian equivalent of the osha?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@r-ice
    Same governing body here by the looks of it.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs/faqs/ohsa.php

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous
    Inactive

never dealt with them, but they scare me, and every single job site procedure manual that comes in my business email I order. Make forms and sign off sheets..and religious about doing on-site safety meetings.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have not had to personally. I have been told story’s of what real pain in the tail’s they can be if they show up on the job site. And there fines can be ruff.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@r-ice,
    Same governing body here by the looks of it.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs/faqs/ohsa.php

That and the CCOHS

http://www.ccohs.ca/

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Only once, They were not to bad to deal with, we had a couple of things we had to change and got a small fine. It make us more aware that they are around and we have changed how we do things since that visit.

Some things are frustrating that you have to do and seem silly like tying off on a 4 pitch roof, until you see a guy slip that is tied off and the tie off stops him before he gets to the edge of the roof. At that point you think to yourself “man, that just saved ma a huge WC claim, maybe it is not such a bad idea”

The long and short of it is they are there to protect our employees. It does slow down some things, but an accident slows them down much more.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

There were a few years around here that OSHA was hitting residential sites pretty hard. The inspector would head into new developments and stop at jobsites. I know several guys who got fined – some deservedly so but others I think were the OSHA inspector flexing some muscle…Overr the last 5 or 6 years I haven’t heard of any OSHA activity localy.

Kurt is right, OSHA serves a much needed purpose. There are far too many contractors who disregard jobsite safety. I am a small time remodelor, at my largest I had 3 employees and for the last couple years I have worked solo and I have more safety equipment than some local companies 10x my size. I know a guy who owns a big roofing company – he has 7 crews that work pretty much non stop. His company doesn’t own a single life line or harness. Companies like that need to be hit by OSHA, he has had guys hurt in the past and I am sure he will have guys hurt in the future. I actually would not mind seeing a larger OSHA presence on the residential side.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Companies like that need to be hit by OSHA, he has had guys hurt in the past and I am sure he will have guys hurt in the future. I actually would not mind seeing a larger OSHA presence on the residential side.

Chad one thing is if there is no where to be trained in the area it’s hard to hit co. with fines on what they have no where to be trained. They must offer training before they hit you with fines.

Dirty

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Saw a guy a while back cutting a compound bevel on a 2×12 held by one hand acrosss his knee while standing.
    If anyone had asked I’m sure it would have been the ‘Been doing it for years and haven’t been hurt’ answer.
    He did it successfully, but I’m glad his crew was working in the hospital district at the time.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Saw a guy a while back cutting a compound bevel on a 2×12 held by one hand acrosss his knee while standing.
    If anyone had asked I’m sure it would have been the ‘Been doing it for years and haven’t been hurt’ answer.
    He did it successfully, but I’m glad his crew was working in the hospital district at the time.

That sounds like quite the feat..I can’t say I’d try it myself. I’m sure we’ve all done some less-than-intelligent things on the job site though. I like the idea of OSHA, but they have too much power, IMO.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

once. our scaffold wasn’t even close to being compliant. were able to get the fines lowered substantially, though

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the idea of OSHA, but they have too much power, IMO.

The power they have is given to them by the co. having their employees work unsafe. If you comply they have no power.

Dirty

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Companies like that need to be hit by OSHA, he has had guys hurt in the past and I am sure he will have guys hurt in the future. I actually would not mind seeing a larger OSHA presence on the residential side.

Chad one thing is if there is no where to be trained in the area it’s hard to hit co. with fines on what they have no where to be trained. They must offer training before they hit you with fines.

Lots of places here offer training. The local HBA and the local Remodelors Council offers the OSHA 10 free to their members and their employees and Sherwin Williams offers the 10 hour pretty cheap a couple times a year. The HBA also has other OSHA courses for a fee.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

Thankfully, I never saw any OSHA reps in 40 years of contracting. I tried to be safe, but I’m sure I wouldn’t pass everything.

What about you guys that remove the guards off your table saws? Or change the plug on your power cord?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Table Saws are a no no, but you can fix a plug on a power cord, but you have to be sure you maintain polarity and test it. They would reather see a new end on a cord than a missing ground or cuts and nicks on the length of the cord.

We have a bunch of odd length cords because it they get bad nicks or cuts, we cut them at the cut and add new ends.

We had a newbe that we showed hot fix cords, he understood the wire colors and polarity but I guess he did not understand the concept of male / female plugs. he made up one with two males. Now when we ask him to get a cord, we ask him to make sure he gets a heterosexual one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.608 seconds