dcsimg

OSHA Tip of the day

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

Thanks for the tips @MKE_Voltage, keep them coming even if dirty makes fun of them. =)

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thought I would add one:

Balance the weight of your tool belt.

Tool belts sure are small and handy but they have the ability to pull your body out of alignment. That is unless you keep its weight balanced. If you find that one side of your belt is heavier than the other, then make the necessary adjustments by transferring tools to the lighter side.

http://www.safetyservicescompany.com/industry-category/construction/5-safety-tips-for-construction-workers-on-avoiding-stress-and-injury/

I like to go to the chiropractor to get put adjusted and put back in alignment!

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Me too, I usually go about once every other month. I used to only go when my back went out but I found that regular visits helps to keep my back from going out.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Me too, I usually go about once every other month. I used to only go when my back went out but I found that regular visits helps to keep my back from going out.

That’s what happened to me. I was kneeling down and just stood up and I was in pain. Didn’t know that could happen. Went to the chiropractor and he fixed me right up. Lower back pain is terrible I could harldy move.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

My doctors say I am beyond repair . It is hard to fix nerve damage .

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That’s what happened to me. I was kneeling down and just stood up and I was in pain. Didn’t know that could happen. Went to the chiropractor and he fixed me right up. Lower back pain is terrible I could harldy move.

Back pain sucks – I have 2 fused disks in my lower back and some Sciatica issues. Before I started seeing the chiropractor on a regular basis I would average a couple days a month down with back pain. Now my back only goes out once every few months and it is easier to get back into place.

A buddy of mine has fibromyalgia- that is a dam tough disease. You got to be a tough SOB to do all the work you do in your bird houses and your house….I know about the only thing my buddy does is get high.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I don’t know if I would suggest this to anyone but my GF only weights about 110 pounds and I get her to walk on my back. Never on the spine but everywhere else. It always straightens out my back and makes me feel like new.

A Working Pro since 2004

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t know if I would suggest this to anyone but my GF only weights about 110 pounds and I get her to walk on my back. Never on the spine but everywhere else. It always straightens out my back and makes me feel like new.

I used to have my little sister do that years ago. She’s 16 now and probably heavier than I would want to tolerate.

My wife keeps talking about taking a white t shirt and drawing roads all over it so our daughter can drive cars on my back. Not the same, but it will do until she’s big enough to walk on my back.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for the tips @MKE_Voltage, keep them coming even if dirty makes fun of them. =)

Look I take safety very seriously. If I made funn anywhere in this thread of anybody please quote it. Just don’t accuse me of being disrespectful and running. Quote it.
    I own over a thousand dollars of safety equp. How about you??

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I own over a thousand dollars of safety equp.

Impressive array of equipment there Dirty. Glad you practice work site safety.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I own over a thousand dollars of safety equp

That is a nice array of lifelines you got there Dirty. I need to get a couple more to add to my collection.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I own one lanyard and one harness. For when I am working in lifts.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Look I take safety very seriously. If I made funn anywhere in this thread of anybody please quote it. Just don’t accuse me of being disrespectful and running. Quote it.

Awesome collection of safety gear there Dirty! Very impressive!

I know someone else was asking about checking your harness over and I found a great link that is about 3 min long. If you have never used a harness before, take a look at the video so you have an idea when it comes around to putting one on 🙂

A Working Pro since 2004

For what it’s worth, didn’t think you were making fun of safety, thought you were venting about the continuance of rules and regs that continue to come out of bureaucratic offices

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Here is my tip of the day
    Never ever lean a A-frame ladder ageist anything to use it! It must always be opened like it’s intended use, as a A-Frame. Also never stand on the top of the ladder or the top step as is indicated on the ladder. Most jobsite accidents happen from a ladder.

According to the place I work, you must also hang all ladders on edge horizontally on the wall or they will warp. I can see this with a wooden ladder but I can’t imagine fiberglass or metal warping…(we have no wooden ladders)

Dirty, that video reminds me of the dozens of safety video’s we had to watch during the OSHA certification.

They opened up the class by telling us a story of how a guy had his balls explode because he fell from a lift and didn’t have his safety harness tightened properly. If that doesn’t give you chills I don’t know what would.

The guy then promptly died of shock from the pain…

Thought I would add one:

Balance the weight of your tool belt.

Tool belts sure are small and handy but they have the ability to pull your body out of alignment. That is unless you keep its weight balanced. If you find that one side of your belt is heavier than the other, then make the necessary adjustments by transferring tools to the lighter side.

http://www.safetyservicescompany.com/industry-category/construction/5-safety-tips-for-construction-workers-on-avoiding-stress-and-injury/

I bought a new belt last year for just that reason.

I read these guard open accident posts and I gotta say, Never rely on any safety appliance to save you from injury. They aren’t perfect either and can fail, In the cases of it kicking back and cutting your arm or the cord the guard may or may not have been quick enough to protect ya anyway.

Could/would ya blame it on the guard for not saving ya? Could/would ya sue the manufacturer for it? Just something to think about while I go get me a cup of that Mcdanalds coffee

Depends who you ask(Sawstop…)

I own one lanyard and one harness. For when I am working in lifts.

I’ve never liked the idea of strapping myself to a lift. I’d rather fall or jump straight down if a lift goes over rather than get flung into the ground. Of course I very rarely use a lift.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Those are nice reconciling fall rrestors. I picked up a couple a while back. .much nicer than ropes underfoot.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Sorry to hear that Cranbrook2. You never know with future medicine what can be repaired though.

A Working Pro since 2004

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

If your Canadian and want to follow recent fines or issues related to safety in Canada you can check out this site

http://www.ohscanada.com/

Times are a changing and it’s best to keep up to date to protect yourself and your fellow workers/clients/owners

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

OSHA sucks. They try to make so any wasted druggie can work wasted without getting hurt.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

OSHA sucks. They try to make so any wasted druggie can work wasted without getting hurt.

Well said.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 2.434 seconds