dcsimg

Oscillating spindle sander

This topic contains 118 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  crotalusco 3 years ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Author

@thedude306

I just finished my implementation of that using the RA1175 edge forming dust extraction hood as well.

Thanks for the awesome idea.

For anyone else who wants to do the same:

Don’t try to rough out the thing using 60 grit sand paper like I did. It stinks up like crazy, use a jigsaw or something to hog out most the material before you use the belt to finish it up. I don’t think it heats up to the point where the ABS degrades and releases hydrogen cyanide but sanding it outside while wearing a respirator with rated cartridges would be a good idea since I found sanding the ABS causes it to heat up to the point it has white smoke when you push it. Get some water or something to dunk it between sandings so it won’t heat up as much. It definitely does melt and the melted ABS will reharden again on the hood. Leaving it on will make it easier to deburr at the end since you can bend the melted on swarf and it’ll snap off clean.

I used the heavy duty velcro that’s the same on both sides for adhering the modified hood onto the support. It seems to hold solidly enough that the pressure exerted by the pool vacuum hose piece doesn’t really cause it to shift but it can be repositioned still.

There’s still a little dust at the front of the sanding belt but it won’t generate the pile on the left any more or anything on the back really.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nice work. It seems like the Velcro will work well. What vac are you using?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

It is dramatic. I will have to get a video. That below table DC is a joke even hooked up to the big DC.

I hooked this up to my iVac control on the rigid with a gate for it or the mitre saw and it’s GREAT. I should really investigate the auto switching gates.

I really like the microswitch controls used in this video..

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/g5qGieHz0Bk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    Look at about the 5 min mark if you want to skip ahead

That is a really cool way to implement dust collection. It helps ensures you close the gate when you are done with the machine.

@jponto07

A Shop-Vac 5872510 with a CV06 Mini cyclone.

I’m thinking of making a back and right side cover, so I can use the left side of the belt sander for large radii sanding and the right side gets dusty still.

Great thread and DC enhancement. Brad is the man when it comes to fixing some of these shortcomings – still like the idea on the plunge router from a few months ago. Good stuff.

Orange County, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

. It seems to hold solidly enough that the pressure exerted by the pool vacuum hose piece doesn’t really cause it to shift but it can be repositioned still.

How do you like the pool vacuum hose for DC? Is it lighter, cheaper, more flexible?

It is dramatic. I will have to get a video. That below table DC is a joke even hooked up to the big DC.

I hooked this up to my iVac control on the rigid with a gate for it or the mitre saw and it’s GREAT. I should really investigate the auto switching gates.

I really like the microswitch controls used in this video..

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/g5qGieHz0Bk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    Look at about the 5 min mark if you want to skip ahead

That is a really cool way to implement dust collection. It helps ensures you close the gate when you are done with the machine.

I’m slowly adding blast gates to the system right at each machine. Eventually I will add the microswitches to control the DC. For now, the remote switch works well enough until I misplace it LOL

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That’s a pretty slick addition to dust collection for sure.

Edit: I went back and looked at what the micro switch thing was. Interesting concept.

Doobie
    Pro

Similar to what Brad did, I use this magnetic dust chute on mine.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30041&cat=1,43053,43885,42837,30041

That magnetic chute proves itself fairly useful at other places in the shop at times. Easily redeployed.

@smallerstick

I only use pool vacuum hose to split the suction off the 2.5″ hose.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

ok for those of you with the ridgid spindle/belt sander are you still enjoying it after some use? Has it held up? Do you still recommend it?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I haven’t used mine lately…don’t have a project right now which requires it.
    its just sitting in the new shelf.
    But I am definitely satisfied with that unit – also because I only paid $50 for it 😀
    I just have to add the DC like the rest of us already did.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

@crotalusco

Used mine recently to sand down 1.5″ plugs in flat stock earlier, worked fine. Just had to watch my feed pressure given it’ll stall if you really wail on it. I find that it works fine to my expectations. Albeit I did get mine at a real bargain of a price and I consider it worth every dollar at that price point.

@madman_us

I’ll probably be doing some extensive DC modifications beyond Brad’s idea of using the router dust chute. I can’t use that for all my sanding operations and it still generates a lot of above table dust. Partially because of how there’s some giant air gaps in the rear where the motor is at (For some reason they didn’t separate the motor from the airflow pathway. Boggles me completely.)

Doobie
    Pro

ok for those of you with the ridgid spindle/belt sander are you still enjoying it after some use? Has it held up? Do you still recommend it?

I have the older gry colored model which I’m guessing is about 10 plus years old. It has seen a lot and still works fine.

woodman_412

I have the older gry colored model which I’m guessing is about 10 plus years old. It has seen a lot and still works fine.

I’m tempted to get one of these to replace the sanding drum on my old drill press setup. I’m holding out and hoping for a sale on them at HD. I seem to remember someone here, maybe Brad getting a good deal on one.

Dan

danpattison.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Still enjoying mine. There is a “wear plate” which helps guide the belt attachment that I need to replace on it. Parts seem to be fairly easy to get and not expensive. I’ll know better later this week if parts delivery is an issue.

I seem to remember someone here, maybe Brad getting a good deal on one.

That may have been me, Dan, I got mine from a kijiji ad.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’m tempted to get one of these to replace the sanding drum on my old drill press setup. I’m holding out and hoping for a sale on them at HD. I seem to remember someone here, maybe Brad getting a good deal on one.

Good luck on finding one on sale. I don’t recall seeing it marked down here at all.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve seen them go for $200 before, but the last time I noticed it at that sale price was many years ago. I rarely ever look at that aisle any longer in ky HD I frequent. There’s nothing there that I want or need so I almost always skip it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good luck on finding one on sale. I don’t recall seeing it marked down here at all.

You’re right Ron for some reason they never do go on sale.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I was looking at it again last night and debating. I really just dont need something like this very often. I think I will hold off until i have a good need and the space for it.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.891 seconds