dcsimg

Oscillating spindle sander

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Has any one made one of these flip top rollong carts?? Looks like a good option for my dewalt and new toy.

FlipStand2 by thedude306[/url], on Flickr

Man that is a good idea, two tools one footprint. Very interesting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dang I better check out my HD, I have times I could use one. But not a whole lot, I still want to make one out of the old bench top drill press I have

That cart is pretty cool. I don’t have room for any carts like that in my shop – I have to move tools to use them one at a time, unfortunately. That is pretty slick, though.

Orange County, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has any one made one of these flip top rollong carts?? Looks like a good option for my dewalt and new toy.

Whoooaa hold the phone, Now there’s an idea I haven’t seen before. Wowwy I’m liking that, As long as ya put two tools on there that ya wouldn’t need at the same time

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’m trying to figure out if the time to make this is going to be worth it. I like the concept, I am just not sold yet on the practicality of it. The sander is pretty easy to move around but that planer is a tank.

I could always put all my sanding needs on the cart as well on the bottom…. I just don’t know if another cart is what my shop needs. It’s funny how fast 1000sq ft fills up. My tool purchases have been epic this year. I am running out of wall space too and I haven’t got a jointer yet.

YIKES

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

woodman_412

I’ve seen a similar idea in a woodworking magazine years ago but with different tools on it. It’s a great idea to maximize floor space and minimize lifting of machines to switch them around. Thickness planer and router table could be an interesting combo too.

I could always put all my sanding needs on the cart as well on the bottom…. I just don’t know if another cart is what my shop needs. It’s funny how fast 1000sq ft fills up. My tool purchases have been epic this year. I am running out of wall space too and I haven’t got a jointer yet.

Epic tool purchase years are always fun Brad 🙂 It seems that nomatter how much shop space you have it always fills up. I thought I was going to have loads of space in my old shop when I built it but it didn’t take long to fill up and start to feel too small.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Ya, I hope the new shop prove hard to fill. We’ll see

I have to say I am pretty impressed with this sander. It not a power house but I think it’s going to be a good addition to the shop.

Brad T

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

The difference in weight between the 2 might require some ballast on the sander side to make it easier to flip. Or maybe a long handle so you can control it

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

The difference in weight between the two might require some ballast on the sander side to make it easier to flip. Or maybe a long handle so you can control it

woodman_412

That’s a good point Charles. It would be interesting to see how easily the flip is done. I suppose if the weights were equal it should be fairly effortless to flip around.

Dan

danpattison.com

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Here is a video showing the build of one. If you go to the end you can see how easy it turns.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

thanks @RonW I watched that last night. The guy takes for ever to build it and does some goofy stuff but his end result is pretty slick.

I think I am going to build one.

Brad T

woodman_412

@thedude306 have you had a chance to use your new Ridgid sander lately? Just curious if you have anymore thoughts on it. I was looking at one in HD today and they had it for $199 and was wondering if it was worth getting.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

For the $199 I think it’s worth it. It’s not a power house as I said but for my needs so far it’s been great. I don’t know if I would want to shape a complete set of chairs for a dining suite… but I don’t really have any reason to think it wouldn’t last.

I have been using it for some kids toys and for shaping jigs that I really find it handy for.

Brad T

woodman_412

How easy is it to switch between belt sander and spindle sander?

Dan

danpattison.com

staker
    Pro

I think your best bet is to look for something used. I haven’t bought used tools out of province yet, but Ontario is huge. I would suggest a used one and either ship it or have it ruckered if you can. Some of the other sites people will help pick up and store machines and help getting them shipped to you. I have had machines stored for a while till I could get shipping figured out.

@woodman_412, I bought one of the Rigid units a few years ago. No regrets, it does a good job. Simple to change from spindle to belt sanding. The changeover can be done in a minute or two. That unit received Best Tool awards in a couple of magazine reviews by the way. One of the reasons why I bought it in the first place.

woodman_412

Good to know, thanks Lon! Right now I use my old 8″ drill press with drum sanders mounted in it as a dedicated spindle sander and I also have a 12″ 1 HP disc sander which works well. I was just debating if it would be worth selling those and getting one machine but I’m sort of feeling inclined to keep what I have for now.

Dan

danpattison.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t have one now, but they are very handy having used one in shop back in the day. I actually burned it more on disc sanders then on oscillating spindles.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

tools that work do have the bonus of not costing more money

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.689 seconds