dcsimg

Oscillating spindle sander

This topic contains 118 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  crotalusco 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I never thought of the heat build up, I thought is was so you didn’t wear out the sandpaper so fast. I guess it’s a little bit of both

woodman_412

I use my old 8″ drill press as a dedicated drum sander since the quill is a bit worn anyway so I’m not concerned about all the sideways pressure. I’ve always wanted an oscillating spindle sander but never had enough of a need for one to justify getting one.

Interesting… I had never even considered doing that Dan – I assume you don’t use your drill press very often as an oscillating spindle sander though, right? But does it actually work decently for you?

John, yeah I don’t use the drum sander all that often but I don’t want to put the wear on the quill of my newer floor model drill press so that’s why I use the old one. Plus it does save the setup time too since I keep a drum sanding table with a hole in it installed on the small drill press. That way if I need to sand a curve there is no setup time, just turn on the drill press and start sanding.

I have actually thought about rigging something up that would let me make the drum oscillate with a foot pedal while I’m sanding. I’ve never gotten around to actually making something though.

Dan

danpattison.com

Anonymous

Did you see Charles suggestion to me about that? It has potential but I think an electric set-up would be better for me. It seems it’d be like the ole rub my belly and pat my head at the same time thing. If I was going to make one I’d look into a windshield wiper motor maybe.

woodman_412

No I didn’t notice Charles’s suggestion about that but I just looked back and read it. I guess we were thinking along the same lines…you know what they say…great minds think alike 😛

A windshield wiper motor would probably work pretty good Boyd. I think if I did enough curve sanding to make it worth the trouble to rig something like that up I would just spring for a real spindle sander.

Dan

danpattison.com

A windshield wiper motor would probably work pretty good Boyd. I think if I did enough curve sanding to make it worth the trouble to rig something like that up I would just spring for a real spindle sander.

As I read the threads, I was thinking the same exact thing. You get that involved in rigging something, why not just buy the sander itself.

Anonymous

I have the same outlook on it, Although I think a manual one could be put together without spending much at all. But for me that wouldn’t be good enough, Building an electric set-up would be kinda fun and challenging cuz that’s the kind of stuff I like to do. but I’ll bet the final cost wouldn’t be worth it. I’d be better off like you say putting that money towards a real one. Plus I think a real one is safer as it comes up from the table so you can actually get your eyes directly above the work for a good view, You can’t and wouldn’t want to get your head anywhere near that close to a drill press.

You can’t and wouldn’t want to get your head anywhere near that close to a drill press.

Great point Boyd. Hair and the drill press don’t mix favorably.

Anonymous

Oh boy NO they don’t, I wrote in here somewhere in another thread a while back about seeing a guy with a big afro type bushy hair get to close to a drill press, It ripped out a chunk of hair and scalp about 3″ x 4″. It was one of the ugliest things I’d seen at that time and he was lucky. It could have killed him, That was 40 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday

As I read the threads, I was thinking the same exact thing. You get that involved in rigging something, why not just buy the sander itself.

I’m in agreement with you all on this one… By the time you get to tinkering with rigging up your drill press like this, you may as well buy the right tool for the job… Though it would be neat to see the process of how one of you guys decided to rig it up 🙂

John S

Anonymous

I have an extra drill press I haven’t used in a few years. It’s a bench top and I’ll bet I could rig something up on the one. It’s already set up upsidedown so the spindle points upward towards the ceiling LOL. I’ll bet with a little thinking I could build it into a cabinet or under a bench or even figure out a way to get it’s own shelf above it like a real Spindle sander. Hmm…..

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Has anyone picked up that Rigid combo unit? It is getting good reviews. I think I am going to build my bench to store it under the the router. I just need to find it on sale….

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Has anyone picked up that Rigid combo unit? It is getting good reviews. I think I am going to build my bench to store it under the the router. I just need to find it on sale….

I have it Brad. I bought it based on reviews in the woodworking magazines. I liked the dual nature of the tool. It has not disappointed so far but the belt does like to wander somewhat easily. For the money it is a good deal. I do think the higher priced pieces from Jet and others will give you a better cast iron platform to work from but they are strictly spindle sanders.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks Lon, That’s kinda what I have read as well. I don’t think it will be a high use item but will be nice to have the versatility of both options. And it should store nicely.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

It definitely is not built to be heavy. You will not have any problem storing and pulling it out for use.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I bought my step father the ryobi years ago for around $80, wish i have bought myself one as they dont offer them any more. His is still running strong. Though i did see harbor freight has one exactly like it for $100 Might have to give that one a go

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I bought my step father the ryobi years ago for around $80, wish i have bought myself one as they dont offer them any more. His is still running strong. Though i did see harbor freight has one exactly like it for $100 Might have to give that one a go

I picked up an old Ryobi a while back at an estate sale. It’s been fantastic! I’m guessing it was made in the early 90s or so.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

staker
    Pro

I have a bench top general haven’t really used it as I use a belt disc combo most of the time

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I have 2 older spindle sanders that I received in trade for some electrical work I did in a friends shop. One is a Ryobi and the other is a craftsman and they both work well. It’s nice to have a machine to use for the task it was intended. Prior to this I was using a set of drums for the drill press and they were annoying to use and really did not work all that well, I found them to be a big waste of time for me to setup and they cut slow because they don’t move up and down and if you pushed too hard they would get hot. The lateral pressure on the drill press isn’t good either. They are both nice and lightweight and I can easily take them off the workbench to put away on a shelf or under a bench when not in use. I am going to end up keeping the craftsman and giving the Ryobi to my dad to use.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I picked up a Ryobi spindle sander at an estate sale recently… It’s several years old but does the jpeg b remarkably well. I don’t know how I ever did without it!

Jon P.
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

>

I picked up a Ryobi spindle sander at an estate sale recently… It’s several years old but does the jpeg b remarkably well. I don’t know how I ever did without it!

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.504 seconds