dcsimg

Oscillating spindle sander

This topic contains 118 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  crotalusco 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • Author

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have seen oscillating spindle sanders in a ton of shops and I guess I never considered getting one until now. Do you guys use them in your shop?

Hey you could always get crazy like this guy and make one?

They come in quite handy sanding curves or inside a cut. Rigid makes a highly rated one that converts from a spindle sander to a belt sander. I certainly like mine. You will find lots of uses for it Jason.

As another approach you can find drums that attach to a drill press.

Attachments:

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

It looks like rockwell makes a pretty decent machine too:

I do like that the you can keep you material on a flat plane while sanding.

I think I would have to go with Ridgid since it has that belt sander option.

Edit: They are the same price point so I would think the Ridgid is a no brainer.

I have had the Grizzly G0538 1/3 HP Oscillating Spindle Sander
    for couple of years and I find it to be a great asset in the shop. I do a lot of cuts on the band saw and this cleans them up great.

Attachments:

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’ve always wondered if I would get any use out of one of these. I could see it being great for cleaning up bandsaw cuts. For me it’s more about space in the shop than anything else, Just not sure if I can give up the work surface space to dedicate to it.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I hear you Matt on the space issue. I am currently leaning towards a drill press that I could put a drum spindle on. I wont get the oscillating action but it will do for most of my applications.

Anonymous

I have a few similar grinding stones for metal for my drill press, They work fine. I’ve been wanting to get a sanding drum for it and I would say one thing I’ll need is a wood top to put over the metal table with a hole big enough to set the drum down in. It would be best to have it thick enough to adjust the depth so as to use the entire drum length.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Adjust the table off to the side so the drum can drop below it, , then just clamp a wooden table to it so it overhangs past the drum. To make it oscillate make a simple pedal, piece of plywood with a short 2X4 attached with a hinge. Run a cable from that to the drill press handle. Now you have a foot operated oscillater

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I’ve always wondered if I would get any use out of one of these. I could see it being great for cleaning up bandsaw cuts. For me it’s more about space in the shop than anything else, Just not sure if I can give up the work surface space to dedicate to it.

I know the feeling, I have been looking at the Ridgid for awhile but I don’t really have the space in the shop for another tool that size.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Adjust the table off to the side so the drum can drop below it, , then just clamp a wooden table to it so it overhangs past the drum. To make it oscillate make a simple pedal, piece of plywood with a short 2X4 attached with a hinge. Run a cable from that to the drill press handle. Now you have a foot operated oscillater

Now there is an idea. I’ve been wanting to incorporate my drill press into my table some how, just haven’t put enough though into it yet.

I have a General International one — do not use it all that often, but I have kept it around for cleaning up after the bandsaw or jigsaw. I keep it in a cabinet — it is the same version as the Jet or any of the other imports. Works OK, but I think that the Ridgid would be better.

Orange County, CA

Anonymous

Wow good for you, That’s the way to think outside the box and I like it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

When space is a consideration multiple use tools come in handy. We’d all like a tool dedicated to just one thing so you can move from to tool but space limitations sometimes make that impossible even though you can afford the tool.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If you can store the spindle sander when not in use, then the space consideration goes away. They are not that heavy and they save a ton of rasp work and hand sanding!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I have a General International one — do not use it all that often, but I have kept it around for cleaning up after the bandsaw or jigsaw. I keep it in a cabinet — it is the same version as the Jet or any of the other imports. Works OK, but I think that the Ridgid would be better.

I would be surprised if the Ridgid could outdo the General International – they’re pretty heavy duty machines aren’t they?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I would be surprised if the Ridgid could outdo the General International – they’re pretty heavy duty machines aren’t they?

Pretty heavy duty and a bit more cash than the ridgid. I would say the GI is right up there with the Jet sander that I have been keeping a keen eye on.

Yeah — they are pretty much identical. I scored mine off of Craigslist for a great deal — it was pretty much brand new when I bought it. They can be had for good prices if you keep a lookout. Now if you want industrial duty, look at a Clayton model…:)

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I use my old 8″ drill press as a dedicated drum sander since the quill is a bit worn anyway so I’m not concerned about all the sideways pressure. I’ve always wanted an oscillating spindle sander but never had enough of a need for one to justify getting one. I’ve looked at the General International at my local supplier a few times and it looks pretty decent.

Dan

danpattison.com

I use my old 8″ drill press as a dedicated drum sander since the quill is a bit worn anyway so I’m not concerned about all the sideways pressure. I’ve always wanted an oscillating spindle sander but never had enough of a need for one to justify getting one.

Interesting… I had never even considered doing that Dan – I assume you don’t use your drill press very often as an oscillating spindle sander though, right? But does it actually work decently for you?

John S

I would think it is a lot easier to burn the wood because the drill press quill is not going up and down like a spindle sander would. If you were not too agressive and took your time, it could be an inexpensive alternative though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.751 seconds