dcsimg

OSB Room

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author

What kind of mudd are you using???

Premixed (dont trust myself to get it right) Light Joint compound

This one
    http://www.renodepot.com/en/compound-jt-light-09935082

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This one

OK I see, What I don’t like about that stuff is when you’re not using the whole box at once you get the small dry bits on the bag that fall into your mudd and then are dragging and messing up you mudding. It drives me nutz. Mixing the power with water really isn’t that hard. We have some very good mudders here Like OA and Carptr freak. Oh and Mixalot too. Did you looks at the you-tube videos??

This one

OK I see, What I don’t like about that stuff is when you’re not using the whole box at once you get the small dry bits on the bag that fall into your mudd and then are dragging and messing up you mudding. It drives me nutz. Mixing the power with water really isn’t that hard. We have some very good mudders here Like OA and Carptr freak. Oh and Mixalot too. Did you looks at the you-tube videos??

Yup – been looking at a lot of them. Learned a lot so far, but sometimes doing is the only way for it to click. Doing wrong really drives the point home

I would prefer mixing myself too, but want to keep the number of things I can screw up to a minimum, so I can figure out where I went wrong and do better.

So far, I have two coats on over the mesh tape (the self-adhesive one) and the tapered edges are mostly level with the rest of the wall. Using a 14 inch trowel, I am flat to the walls on either side of the mud. The inside corners are less good. I keep missing a little spot or two, and making the mistake of making one pass too many to try to fix it and having to pretty much start over.

When everything looks done, hopefully after the 3rd coat, I will go back and roll on thinned mud and use a squeegee knife to smooth it all over. Youtube had lots of videos making that look good. Anyone do that technique? Supposed to be easier for rookies to do a skim than with hawk and trowel

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Supposed to be easier for rookies to do a skim than with hawk and trowel

I use a pan and wide knife. But I’m not good at it.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

When you get it close enough, use FLAT paint… It hides a multitude of sins

--Steve

A bit of progress. Got the ceiling in and the screw holes filled

Sammy helped, so it was much slower going, but a lot more fun.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Looks pretty pro from the photo. 😀

Doobie

Lookin’ good Eric. What’s next?

Lookin’ good Eric. What’s next?

Did the corners last night, so sand and add more mud over two days. One side of each corner per day
    Have a skim coat to do, then Build out the closet/cabinet.

Wife wants face frame and inset shaker doors. Ive only ever done frameless cabinets and never made my own doors (at least never made more complicated than slab doors). Looking forward to it 🙂 i like trying new things

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Coming along very nicely Eric.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Always good to get the young ones involved.

Eric, still don’t have the picture thing down pat. EH? takes a few seconds to figure out what’s going on when the picture is upside down. LOL Great work

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Eric, still don’t have the picture thing down pat. EH? takes a few seconds to figure out what’s going on when the picture is upside down. LOL Great work

Thanks!
    Wish I could figure out why pics are always flipped…. On the bright side, at least you guys always know my pics are really mine 🙂

Doobie

Thanks!
    Wish I could figure out why pics are always flipped…. On the bright side, at least you guys always know my pics are really mine :)

That was upside down? 😉

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s coming along nicely, how do you like mudding??

Thanks!
    Wish I could figure out why pics are always flipped…. On the bright side, at least you guys always know my pics are really mine :)

That was upside down? 😉

Thanks!

That was upside down? 😉

Well, wife wanted an open floorpan, so I anchored everything upside down to the ceiling 😉

Thanks Dirty.

Its starting to grow on me. When I rush, I screw it up, but if I take my time, Its kind of zen

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks Dirty.

Its starting to grow on me. When I rush, I screw it up, but if I take my time, Its kind of zen

That’s what OA says, you’ve got to become one with the mudd lol

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Thanks Dirty.

If you’re using a 14″ knife why do your joints only look like they’re 6″ wide?

Thanks Dirty.

I only use the 14 at the end. First pass (the back wakk was first only) is a 10 inch blade, and its a bit over 8 wide

14 makes everything right at the end – or so I understand. Stay tuned for the final verdict

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Thanks Dirty.

I only use the 14 at the end. First pass (the back wakk was first only) is a 10 inch blade, and its a bit over 8 wide

14 makes everything right at the end – or so I understand. Stay tuned for the final verdict

Whenever I mud (quite a bit) my tape coat is with a 6″ knife, 2nd coat with a 10″, 3rd coat on beveled seams gets a 12″ and butt joints get hit with a 14″. Sometimes I need to go a 4th coat on beveled seams but not often – usually just when the hanging job left a little to be desired. I also sometimes break out the big 18″ knife for nasty butt joints.

I go with bag mud for my first coats then watered down bucket mud with dawn for the final coat. Mixing the bag mud is pretty easy – get it to the consistency of the pre mixed stuff you are using and your good to go.

Looks like you are doing a pretty good job. Just take your time – get a little practice in and it will be old hat to you.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.327 seconds