dcsimg

OSB Room

This topic contains 63 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Clev08 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 64 total)
  • Author

So, my house was built in the 50s, and has a long narrow room next to the garage (9ft wide, 25 long) with 3 doorways and 2 windows.

This room is hideous. Instead of drywall, the walls are 3/8 OSB (at least I think so, the chips seem small)

The OSB was wallpapered at some point (also looks very circa 1955), and the wallpaper is raised slightly at the seams of each OSB sheet

Between decades of worth of holes from past nails holding up pictures, the ugly wallpaper, and the visible seams, I am at a loss.

i considered tearing out and putting drywall, but Im having trouble findimg a drywall guy (I hate mudding, so not doing myself)

I also considered just laminating on thin drywall, but the mudding effort is the same, And I have to also raise all the door and window frames to match the new height

Im wondering if I could avoid mudding and drywall entirely

Maybe – and I want to know what the experts here think – I could remove the old wallpaper, and use a block primer on the osb – maybe hide the seams with caulking, and paint. Would a thick primer hide the OSB “chips” so it looks smooth?

My wife wants wainscotting or beadboard up to waist height, so aboult a third of the wall could be buried under that, but the top part should be “wall-like”

Also trying to avoid the dust and hassle of another “renovation-type” job for a while. We have redone a lot of the house in the past year, and cannot mentally handle more dust for a while – again, a knock against drywall

Any thoughts? Ideally, ways to make it work ? I dont mind putting multiple layers of paint/primer – beats mudding any day

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Go with T & G pine or cedar over the walls. I think trying to cover the old OSB would be like attempting to put lipstick on a pig, even though the lips may be luscious and pretty, you would still be kissing a pig.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Go with T & G pine or cedar over the walls. I think trying to cover the old OSB would be like attempting to put lipstick on a pig, even though the lips may be luscious and pretty, you would still be kissing a pig.

Good idea. If avoiding the hassle of drywall is the main objective, wood cladding is how I’d approach it.

The other alternative would be to pick up the phone and start calling drywall companies. Tell them that dust control is a priority and if they are a reputable company…that shouldn’t be an issue.

Personally, I think I’d get tired of a wood paneled wall as it work look like the 70s. A nice wainscoting might look good though…either way, it would require drywall above.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous

Although I like Kurts idea another option could be the FRP material, you could put it over the OSB. I once finished off the inside of an enclosed toy hauler trailer with the stuff, It looked great and held up fantastic http://www.homedepot.com/p/PLASTEX-1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

Doobie
    Pro

First off, you didn’t say what this room is for.

I had a semi-similar dillema for my garage I wanted to reclad on the inside to turn into my shop. Previous owner had popcorned the ceiling and part of the walls and put barnboards in a Swiss like design. Real awful look.

I removed the nice barnboards and kept those, then I also removed the popcorm stucco stuff via wetting it and scrapping it off. The drywall underneath was too vile to repair or leave as is, but instead I just clad over it with T1-11 5/8ths in thick panels. 4X8 sheets were about $43 ea 12 years ago. My shop is 11.5X24 roughly.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/4×8-19-32-southern-yellow-pine-8-inch-on-centre-t1-11-plywood-siding/965590

It’s easy to install and you can screw fasten stuff to it any which way pretty well. When I’ve reconfigured things over time, I just use wood filler to fill old screw holes and it blends it out completely. Gives a real nice feel to the room as well and it’s seamless from one panel to the next.

One prep thing I did do to it was quickly run the belt sander over the face to remove the rough fuzzy burrs on it. You’ll understand what I mean when you see and touch it.

Costs more than OSB, but I hate that OSB look. Looks cheap to me no matter where I see it, painted or not.

EDIT: Here’s soMe really old pics I dug up.

We use this product a lot in the garages we finish. It comes pre-primed, attaches to the studs, and it real durable.

I would rip everything out, install this and be done.

http://lpsmartside.com/products/panel

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

First off, you didn’t say what this room is for.

Good point

It’s off the garage, so serves as a mudroom. Also Laundry. At one end, there is a bit of a nook that serves as an 8X8 desk/computer/office area

I want to achieve the drywall look, and am willing to do difficult work, just not do real drywall

Downstairs, we have old pine walls painted white. Its a cool look (unlike 70 panelling) but still pretty dated. I wont be doing the OSB in wood paneling.

Some of the other products mentioned look interesting. Do they take paint and hide joints well?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

the LP panels take paint well but the joints would be an issue. they do have a panel that looks almost like a orange peel on drywall. you would want a molding at the joints I would think.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Although I like Kurts idea another option could be the FRP material, you could put it over the OSB. I once finished off the inside of an enclosed toy hauler trailer with the stuff, It looked great and held up fantastic http://www.homedepot.com/p/PLASTEX-1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

@montreal_medic,
    Now the product that @Dabbs linked to would support what you are looking to accomplish. Would give the walls a clean look and no finish dry walling once up.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie
    Pro

Do they take paint and hide joints well?

T1-11 takes paint well. Joints become seamless due to unique overlap.

For your purposes though, you may want to look at the LP Andrew showed.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

maybe vinyl side the walls and soffit the ceiling… bring the outdoors inside

Here is a garage we did a couple years ago. Drywall ceiling and upper wall and the SmartPanel wainscoting.

Andrew

Doobie
    Pro

Here is a garage we did a couple years ago. Drywall ceiling and upper wall and the SmartPanel wainscoting.

That looks real good.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That looks real good.

I agree! It’s a unique look with the wide panels.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I vote smartside… get the 8 oc grooved with the lap joints and seams dissapear.

Still have to pull all the trim and old osb to do it right though… At that point sheet rock would probably be cheaper

--Steve

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

That is a nice clean look. LP smartside is a nice product – I have used it a few times.

If you want the drywall look it would probably be easiest (and cheapest) to just use drywall. Like mentioned before, if you get a good drywall crew in there the dust would be minimal.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

That is a nice clean look. LP smartside is a nice product – I have used it a few times.

If you want the drywall look it would probably be easiest (and cheapest) to just use drywall. Like mentioned before, if you get a good drywall crew in there the dust would be minimal.

Sometimes I this site tells me how to do it, and sometimes, I am reminded of the value of doing it right.

Guess its back to drywall

But I will check out those products

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

That’s a good looking garage. Nice job Andrew. That LP smart panel looks a lot like the old T-111

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

That’s a good looking garage. Nice job Andrew. That LP smart panel looks a lot like the old T-111

It is really the look of T-111 but it doesn’t suck in gallons of paint and is a bit smoother. Plus it is cheaper too. This is our standard finish we do in our garages for our custom homes.

We have also done no-print osb. This is ordered from the plant without any edge wax or stud location lines so that it is a cleaner look.

Andrew

My googlefu has failed me. Is smartpanel the manufacturer? Looks way easier than making wainscotting from rails and stiles ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.523 seconds