dcsimg

Options for redoing exterior breezeway

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Now there’s a thought. I could definitely see that working. Thanks for suggesting that. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that sooner haha.

The good thing with the pavers they won’t rot. I can’t talk about the process because I don’t live in the cold where the ground freezes.

Yeah got it. Pavers behave well up here too if they’re installed correctly. My current thinking is to reverse the swing of the storm door (a drawback but I don’t see a good way around it), build up a landing and stairs facing front, and do pavers where the current decking is. If I end up going with a wooden landing/stairs, I’ll need four footings and a small ledger board below the doorway. Thanks for all the advice. I am taking an imperfect situation and making it better, but not making it perfect. It would take major action to have a perfect situation from how I see it. Thanks to all who chimed in. If anything else occurs to anyone I’ll gladly listen to advice from this group. Thanks fellas.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Well eight months later and I’m finally getting around to posting about this project. I’ve been absent here for a while but I wanted to update on my project to close the loop.

I completed this over the summer; it took about a week and a half of me working by myself.

See the photos at the beginning of this thread for where it started.

It felt great to demo the old wood that was there. The joists, which were sitting directly on dirt, were actually in better shape than I’d feared, but still I am glad that I went this route (pavers) rather than redo something like what was there.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Here are some current pictures of the space. Project complete.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Here are some current pictures of the space. Project complete.

Good to see you back again
    That looks beautiful , I like the way you decided to go with the pavers ,
    What did you eventually decide about the door , I remember you were concerned about the door swinging out and potentially having issues with the top of the door and the underside of the roof eves if I remember correctly.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Well eight months later and I’m finally getting around to posting about this project. I’ve been absent here for a while but I wanted to update on my project to close the loop.

I completed this over the summer; it took about a week and a half of me working by myself.

See the photos at the beginning of this thread for where it started.

It felt great to demo the old wood that was there. The joists, which were sitting directly on dirt, were actually in better shape than I’d feared, but still I am glad that I went this route (pavers) rather than redo something like what was there.

Nice to see you back here. You have been busy. Looks to me like you have chosen the best option for that space, I like the look of the finished work.
    Have you had any issues with the downspout emptying so close to the foot of the stairs? Is there enough slope to carry rainwater away?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well that came out very nice and I bet the misses love it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Nice job Bailey! I recall this dillema you were dealing with and I think what you did turned out quite OK. 👍

Yup, looks mighty fine to me too. Good to see you figured it out.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Dirty

Doobie

Nice job Bailey!

Who’s Bailey???

He’s MrFid.

https://bethepro.com/members/mrfid/

Oh ya, you don’t like me using first names. Not sure why, I just don’t get that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Dirty

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Oh ya, you don’t like me using first names. Not sure why, I just don’t get that.

Easy, just deal with it. No problem for anyone else.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Is this tool/construction related?

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Is what tool related and who are you asking? Me, @doobie, @dirtywhiteboy, @mrfid ?

Doobie

What, I shouldn’t use first names? Where in the rules does it say one can’t? Can’t believe this is some kind of issue. And I simply don’t see anything offensive in it either. It’s meant as a form of respect and/or friendship most times, but occasionally, it also serves to get a person’s attention better when warranted. It’s also easier to remember than trying to properly type some members convoluted spelling of their forum handle quite often.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Okay isn’t this thread about MrFrids exterior walkway passage
    Let’s bring it back in

Doobie

Oh I don’t care what you do!! I just use the persons user name.. that is why it’s called a user name. I don’t like my proper name on the world wide web but there are a55 holes that know that and still use it,,,,, I don’t go digging in to a persons profile page because I don’t care what their proper name is because they have already chosen a user name.
    I don’t know Mr.Fid and he is just words on a screen to me so Mr.Fid it is.
    I notice you right away dig into their profile page and start using their proper name first post. That really turns a lot of people off and they wonder why you make like that?? Some of them never post again.

I had missed this earlier.

I think I get what you’re saying and the reasons why. Thanks for sayin that Dirty. And I do recall you don’t like your first name being used, and when I learned that a long time ago, I’ve respected that. I also don’t go look at your profile as well, as I know you don’t like that also.

I can’t say I entirely agree with what may be other people’s stand being universal to what you see as the discomforts in using people’s first names, but again, I never thought about it the way you took the time to explain how some may see it. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to better explain your thoughts on it and I recognize using first names may not he as cut and dry as I was thinking of it.

In my mind up til now, people have handles because it’s cool to have one, and if they really don’t want their first name to be known, they wouldn’t enter it in their profile. But now, I’ll be more judicious where I use it. You brought up interesting perspectives I hadn’t considered although when it comes to whether new people are leaving because I may say hi to them in the Intro thread using their first name, that one I doubt as a prevailing reason why they leave. Most new members on any forum post once or twice and never come back, that’s quite common.

Hope we can lay this to rest. BoschManBrian’s right, we need to move the conversation back to MrFid’s thread topic.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Hahaha no worries either way fellas.

Thanks for all the comments.

To address a few follow up questions/comments:

The driveway slopes down, so with the splash director the downspout flows right down the driveway. The front edge of the pavers is in fact the high ridge of the project. I pitched the pavers about 1/8 to 1/4 inch per foot backwards towards the back garden beds to avoid standing water on them.

I did indeed reverse the swing of the screen door. At first, it was incredibly annoying to hold open the screen door with your body while unlocking/opening the actual door. What has been much better was removing the closer on the screen door. I added a VERY slight tilt to the frame of the screen door so that even if you forget to close it (which we rarely do, including my kids surprisingly) it closes on its own eventually. But it’s much more pleasant not to be worried about my heels getting clipped while getting in the house.

Thanks again for all the advice along the way. It’s good to be back here. I’ll try to not take a nearly 1 year hiatus in the future haha.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Is what tool related and who are you asking? Me, @doobie, @dirtywhiteboy, @mrfid ?

You!

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.696 seconds