dcsimg

Oneida Viper Scraper review

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Austin 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

A paint scraper is a fast and effective way to remove lots of paint from large areas quickly. It’s a very simple yet effective tool that is essential for any painter and very helpful to other tradesmen as well. Most paint scrapers are basically a handle with some sort of blade or metal for removing the paint. Doesn’t sound like a lot of room for improvement with it being such a simple tool but that’s where you are wrong. Most new scraper come with a carbide blade on them so they stay sharper longer and require less effort to scrape the paint off the surface. Oneida Air Systems has gone one step further though. Their Viper scraper is the first hand held scraper that I have seen with dust collection built right into it. Oneida is a company known for dust solutions so it’s no wonder that they would make a dustless scraper. Oneida sent me their viper scraper to test out for them and to review.

When it first arrived what I noticed first is the big thick piece of cardboard held on by the same screws that held the blade on. This protected the carbide blade during shipping so that it would not be damaged, I thought that is was very well packaged. The entire handle and head is made out of two pieces of plastic clipped and screwed together, which seem very durable and sturdy. Besides damaging the blade I could see this surviving pretty much any drop from normal conditions. The ergonomics are decent and it doesn’t feel awkward to hold or use. Although some rubber over molding for comfort wouldn’t hurt especially for that painter who is scraping all day. The head has a spot to put a pull or push blade in it and have dust collection either way. At the end of the handle its designed for a 1.5” hose to easily connect to it

How does this scraper preform? Well you can pick it up and start scraping just like any other run of the mill scraper out there and do just as good. But that’s not how the viper was designed to be used even though you can use it as such. The entire handle is hollow and runs up all the way to a wide mouth right under the blade. When using it hooked up to a dust collector like my Bosch dust extractor that I got through redemption on this site, it works exactly as it says that it does. Almost all of the scrapings get sucked up. This means hardly any clean up time but also when working with harmful substances like lead, it goes directly into the vacuum. The only thing I didn’t like is that in order to use it with either a bosch or festool hose an adapter has to be used. It would be nice to plug right into it like any power tool that uses dust collection. This is a wonderful tool overall and I don’t see why you wouldn’t want to get this over any other scraper if you are in need of one.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thanks for the reviews, where is the best place to pick one up. You mention that you need an adapter to use it, what is the adapter model number? I have to say it looks like a winner, everything should come with dust collection these days.

Im going to remeber this next time I need a scraper. My usual one is on its last blade anyways and has a slighty broken handle. Time to upgrade

Anonymous

Nifty idea, Looks like it sucks up the debris pretty well. But I have to wonder if it’s worth the hassle of being tethered to a hose or just vac up the debris when yer done, I guess if you’re creating a lot of dust it might be

I don’t use a scraper often enough to replace the one I have, but I do appreciate good design, and this seems to show that more people are actually thinking about dust collection in general.

Will

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Nifty idea, Looks like it sucks up the debris pretty well. But I have to wonder if it’s worth the hassle of being tethered to a hose or just vac up the debris when yer done, I guess if you’re creating a lot of dust it might be

I was thinking this would be good for when you are removing popcorn ceiling, this would be a great tool for it. Usually you leave a huge mess to clean up afterwards.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

The smaller bosch hose wasn’t bad at all. Now a bigger 2.5″ hose would be a pain though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.435 seconds