dcsimg

One Man's Garbage……………………..

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Warren6810
    Akron, OH

My buddy told me that I would be shocked if I saw how often this actually happened. Flooring, which with a bit of extra care can be salvaged, gets thrown out on a regular basis. It was all stapled down, but he did an amazing job, taking care not to damage the tongues during removal.

This particular flooring is barely over a year old, and because of the thickness, there is at least 3 to 4 refinishes in it, if I ever need to do so. The flooring alone would have cost me over $5000 to buy the same amount and type brand new.

I have a basement to refinish, once I get my tools out into my new workshop, I may see if I can do the same with the basement floor.

I would be interested to hear about his technique. We have pulled up hardwood many times, but never thought of saving it. Just removing the staples would be pretty time consuming I would think.

@warren6810 – my buddy actually did the initial installation of this flooring just over a year ago, so they called him to do the removal and new installation. That is how he knew that the flooring was almost brand new. Not sure as to his techniques, but he took a little longer than usual in removing it, due to the care he took saving the tongues.

I guess in your case, saving what you remove would be determined by the condition of the floor, and whether there is enough material left on it to refinish if needed. It would only be worthwhile if you could salvage a good portion and if it was reusable, and able to be refinished if necessary.

Have you done this in the past also???

My buddy told me that I would be shocked if I saw how often this actually happened. Flooring, which with a bit of extra care can be salvaged, gets thrown out on a regular basis. It was all stapled down, but he did an amazing job, taking care not to damage the tongues during removal.

This particular flooring is barely over a year old, and because of the thickness, there is at least 3 to 4 refinishes in it, if I ever need to do so. The flooring alone would have cost me over $5000 to buy the same amount and type brand new.

I have a basement to refinish, once I get my tools out into my new workshop, I may see if I can do the same with the basement floor.

I would be interested to hear about his technique. We have pulled up hardwood many times, but never thought of saving it. Just removing the staples would be pretty time consuming I would think.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It just sickens me to think how often perfectly usable flooring gets thrown into landfills. Such a waste of money.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just removing the staples would be pretty time consuming I would think.

Sure but free hardwood flooring would be worth it if you needed it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I know one of my neighbours had to rip up a newly installed hardwood floor because they did not properly affix the sub and the floor buckled in a lot of places.
    When pulling it up, the tongue on most gets torn out because of the staples.

If you can, ask your buddy how he does it?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I know one of my neighbours had to rip up a newly installed hardwood floor because they did not properly affix the sub and the floor buckled in a lot of places.

Looks like it is the opportunity for someone to come up with a saw that can cut off or slice the staples under the floor, thin thin blade slides under the tongue and slice the staples otherwise like you mentioned most get ruined.

Luckily, it wasn’t glued as well as stapled. That would have been a tougher proposition for removing it.

I did glue this one, when I installed it, and so far, no buckling or issues at all. It

I will have to quiz him as to how he was able to get the staples out, without damaging the tongues….

Looks like it is the opportunity for someone to come up with a saw that can cut off or slice the staples under the floor, thin thin blade slides under the tongue and slice the staples otherwise like you mentioned most get ruined.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@boschmanbrian
    I think that would be an OMT. 😛 At least if I had to remove stapled hardwood that’s what I would use.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@boschmanbrian,
    I think that would be an OMT. 😛 At least if I had to remove stapled hardwood that’s what I would use.

True. That would be a great tool for that job.

Doobie

Not so sure using an OMT would do the trick. You still would have to remove the existing nail which may be more of a chore with the nail, or staple, being cut so short before re-using the boards.

One thought I had to get the boards off withought much destruction would be to use those wide face shingle removal shovels. Maybe with two guys doing it with each a shovel so as to pry them up evenly along their edges.

keko
    Pro

my momma always told free is good never turn down free.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

WOW. That turned out great. great floor, great price. Winder for you and your friend for not throwing it away and trying to find someone who would put it to good use.

BMI
    Pro

Looks great! Nothing better than looking back at your work.

My dad kept insisting on keeping the old flooring after removal, now I see why

My dad kept insisting on keeping the old flooring after removal, now I see why

Not sure if you posted a picture , if so , I don’t see anything ,

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.263 seconds