dcsimg

old redwood logging video

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    staker
    Pro

Thats amazing. Heard about the logging, even remember an old John Wayne movie that involved it. Never have I thought about the actual process. My heavens, the rigging they used. Not sure how well I would have done as a redwood logger

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I love redwood, but hate knowing it was un-sustainably harvested back then. I like that its more regulated just hate the price.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

It sure is crazy how they used to do stuff!

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That’s a cool video , talk about manual labour ,holy crap !

staker
    Pro

, talk about manual labour ,holy crap !

Everyone was working in those days no shortage of work, now everything is done with machines and a lot of machinery is made oversea`s.

Those trees are massive. It’s a shame they were treated as if there was an inexhaustible supply. Looked quite dangerous to take them down. Thanks for sharing the video.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Pretty amazing stuff they did back then. You really earned what you put on your table. Is a shame how we still treat our forests.

A Working Pro since 2004

Awesome video of the old days of hard working loggers and gaint trees .

Always willing to learn .

redwood
    Pro

Well I’m pretty close to the action. I have a few redwoods on my property, but not very old.

I too am sad that they were overharvested. What’s available today is not the same wood from that video. All the great properties of old growth redwood has disappeared in today’s new growth redwood. It’s a shame.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for posting that video. I like watching historical videos.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

My parents took my brother and I to Sequoia National Forest when we were kids – I think I was 10 or 12. I would like to go back again, I think I would appreciate it more now – it was cool then but as a kid it was just some really big trees.

Cool video find, by the way.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

KenW
    Pro

I’ve seen post cards depicting the huge trees that were logged. The video is amazing too.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Neat video. Nuts how they did some stuff back then.
    We went to see the Redwoods when I was young. It was cool to see trees that big. Like Chad I think I would like it a little more now.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I wonder what their wages were like back then for busting their ass like that .Whatever it was it wasn’t enough πŸ™‚

staker
    Pro

wages were probably around a $1.00 a day. I think they made more in bible times

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

these are always great videos. I do not think I could chop through a 2′ tree in a day, let alone a 10′ tree or larger. just think of the amount of wood they removed to fell one of those trees. a lot of board feet of chips.

β€œFor most people, a job like this would seem too dangerous. But then, logging is a hard and dangerous work.”

No joke! Really neat video – amazing to see how they chopped that monster redwood down.

John S

staker
    Pro

Sometimes when staking claims and you need to cross a small river you would find a big tree 18″-24″on the bank a and chop it down. It doesn’t take that long 20-30 minutes, depends how sharp your axe is.

redwood
    Pro

I was amazed at the scaffolding setups they had. Could you imagine today if Osha saw those? That would be a pretty big fine.

We dropped a couple of Douglas Fir trees this week, one about 18″, and it took us 1 1/2 hours with a chainsaw. Of course we mostly delimbed it and took it down in sections. Cleanup is taking days however.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.445 seconds