dcsimg

Old Atlas Bench Top Drill Press

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I dug this out of another corner of my shop while cleaning and reorganizing it, As you can see I modified it years ago to be used as a bowling ball spinner. (I used to be really heavy into that sport)

I haven’t researched it enough yet to figure out what year it is but it’s old and very heavy duty, And still works great. This is what I had in mind a while back for making a spindle sander, All I would have to do now is place the table above the upside down head 🙂 . Maybe I will and maybe I won’t LOL, Haven’t decided yet but I know I’m not going to use it as a ball spinner anymore……Unless I’m able to take up bowling again that is. And I might even do an ‘Over The Top’ Drill Press Restoration on it

Any ideas of it’s age?

Also I dug out this old vise I’ve had for years, It’s really old and very heavy duty too. Maybe someone can identify it for me. I am going to mount this up and use it, I bought both of these at an auction like 20 years ago

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Those are awesome!
    Any plans to restore them?

Here’s some before/after shots from GarageJournal.
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248985

Delta DP-220 Drill Press

Bert

@Dabbs, I think Brad (@thedude306) was into restoring vises. He might know what vise you have. I also expect your drill press to end up like this one but only red. LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

Those are awesome!
    Any plans to restore them?

Here’s some before/after shots from GarageJournal.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248985

<figure class=”oe-video-container”></figure>
    <figure class=”oe-video-container”>Delta DP-220 Drill Press</figure>

OMG!! You may have just identified my floor model Delta Rockwell, It looks dang close and that one says it’s 1957. Cool…Thanks

@Dabbs, I think Brad ( @thedude306) was into restoring vises. He might know what vise you have. I also expect your drill press to end up like this one but only red. LOL

I know Sproky is into that too, And Hahaha. Good for you on my color choice LOL. I already have a red vice too so IF I get to it they’ll be a matching set

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@Dabbs have a Model# for that press ? 30’s to 50’s without a # I’d say mid 50’s… they had a few sizes in the 11″ to 15″ range.
    That looks like a good old vise too. Wire wheel and some red paint and ready to work. You know, you could mount the DP and the vise on your over the top work table

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

OMG!! You may have just identified my floor model Delta Rockwell, It looks dang close and that one says it’s 1957. Cool…Thanks

Glad to help!

Bert

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Ok… I gotta ask… Bowling Ball spinner??? For balance??

--Steve

Don’t have a clue. All I know for sure is that the old stuff is really cool.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I think Dabby likes to polish his balls.

Gotta love the rock solid quality of these older tools – they were built like tanks! It will be fun to see how you restore them!

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, They have special triple beam scales to measure things like total weight, top and side weight. Bowling balls have very specific limits to be legal and can be drilled in different areas of the ball to change top and side weight resulting in different ball reactions.

Example; Hook/curve or straight, early curve or later hook and the amount of hook/curve too LOL. The spinners are used for cleaning, sanding and polishing, All pro shops that drill balls have a spinner. The ‘real’ ones are in a tub with a water sprayer for wet sanding. I made this to clean, sand for de-oiling my bowling balls at home. I also have a kit to suck the oil out of a bowling ball, It uses a substance similar to ‘floor-dry’ or kitty litter but much finer and a lot more costly LOL.

I think Dabby likes to polish his balls.

LOL..Indeed!!………….Ok kids, There’s yer ball lesson for the day 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dabbs have a Model# for that press ? 30’s to 50’s without a # I’d say mid 50’s… they had a few sizes in the 11″ to 15″ range.
    That looks like a good old vise too. Wire wheel and some red paint and ready to work. You know, you could mount the DP and the vise on your over the top work table

I’ll try to get a model# number one of these days when I repurpose it, Also when ya measure a press it’s by the throat right? Like from the center of the chuck to the face of the mast? Not the center of the mast. This one is only 7 1/2″…

Does anyone know what the other item is in the pic circled in red? No one seemed to say anything about it, It’s a very cool tool also but not one that is used very often.

staker
    Pro

The atlas will clean up nice, I did a 15 canadian last year, it was in worse shape. As for the vise I don’t think there was to many makers with round shaft.

To revive a dormant thread…

The item circled in red seems to be some sort of deflection meter. I’m more familiar with the smaller handheld units that you’d use to check belt tensioning on motors & etc… if that’s what the one in the picture is, those have got to be some big belts (perhaps conveyors or the large leather belting used in hydro-powered power distribution systems, though those are relics mostly)? Maybe I’m way off.

Anyone else know, or care to guess?

Doobie

The vise looks like the same one I used to see in my uncle’s barn workshop decades ago. He’s long since passed away, so I can’t help you as to age really.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To revive a dormant thread…

The item circled in red seems to be some sort of deflection meter. I’m more familiar with the smaller handheld units that you’d use to check belt tensioning on motors & etc… if that’s what the one in the picture is, those have got to be some big belts (perhaps conveyors or the large leather belting used in hydro-powered power distribution systems, though those are relics mostly)? Maybe I’m way off.

Anyone else know, or care to guess?

I didn’t get any guesses the last time either LOL, So I’ll tell ya.

You’re on the right track and pretty much close enough when you used the words deflection meter, although it’s not for belts. It’s used for calibrating a torque wrench, As you tighten down on the wrench the needle goes up and works in both directions. (Left/right handed threads) If using a clicker type wrench ya just slowly go til it clicks on whatever setting ya have it on and compare readings, Clicker wrenches are adjustable and should be checked periodically 🙂

staker
    Pro

Boyd you might try and look under bullet vise to see if you can find a match. And look here and see if you can date your press.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’ll try to get a model# number one of these days when I repurpose it, Also when ya measure a press it’s by the throat right? Like from the center of the chuck to the face of the mast? Not the center of the mast. This one is only 7 1/2″…

Does anyone know what the other item is in the pic circled in red? No one seemed to say anything about it, It’s a very cool tool also but not one that is used very often.

That would be a 15″ DP. It’s basically measured the same way as a lathe is measured.
    Just noticed your vise is missing one of the pipe jaws

staker
    Pro

A drill press is measured by the diameter of a circle you could drill in the center.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.453 seconds