dcsimg

oil in an oil less gun

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ian@RHWoodworking
    Pro
    Lakeville, MN

So I have a Seco finish pro xp42 and when I bought it 4 months ago. I looked it over and did not see the no oil logo like my slp20 has. So every day I put one drop of oil in before I use it. Well today I had some down time and looked at the manual and it said no librication. I have noticed no adverse affects but the gun has never bump fired well. So my question is do I keep oiling it or stop. Normally I’d stop imidatly bur iv heard if you oil a no oil gun they get sticky. So my thinking is if I stop as the oil lessens it will start sticking. Please all opinions welcome.

Trim carpenter at R.H. Woodworking out of Lakeville,MN. Specializing in Finnish carpentry and cabinet installation.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its not going to really hurt the gun per say if you oil it if its only occasionally but theres no need to. they use teflon seals in oil less guns

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Oilless guns take advantage of the carryover oil from the compressor for lubrication. Occasional additional oiling, as @jkirk points out, doesn’t really do any harm.

Put oil in the tool at the end of the day, fire it a couple of times and put it away. That extra bit of oil will run any moisture out of the tool and leave a protective film on the internal parts. Good insurance.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

??? are you talking about the small compressor add on that holds oil and distributes a shot of oil to the air line every so many shots from the tool

Clev08
    Pro

I’m guessing oil less nailers are made to be truly oil less because there are oil less compressors now that would not transfer any oil to the tool. I don’t know if it would hurt anything though

Doobie

Call Senco and ask them.

Are you using pneumatic oil? Some people will use any oil practically and some have detergents in them that will will cause the O rings to fail in due time.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

??? are you talking about the small compressor add on that holds oil and distributes a shot of oil to the air line every so many shots from the tool

No, I’m talking about the lubricating oil which gets into the air produced by the some compressors. It’s a minor amount of oil, but it helps to keep the tool operating smoothly.

I’m guessing oil less nailers are made to be truly oil less because there are oil less compressors now that would not transfer any oil to the tool. I don’t know if it would hurt anything though

You’re right, there may not be carryover oil from those. My experience says that occasional oiling won’t hurt.

Are you using pneumatic oil? Some people will use any oil practically and some have detergents in them that will will cause the O rings to fail in due time.

True, detergent oil will cause the o rings to swell. 3 in 1 is a no-go, too. Use only a non-detergent oil designed for air tools. Easy to get; all the major mfgs package and sell tool oil.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It should not hurt the gun, Oil can only help. In most cases you do not want the oil because it could spit onto an unfinished piece and cause a stain.

its not going to really hurt the gun per say if you oil it if its only occasionally but theres no need to. they use teflon seals in oil less guns

What’s the life span on Teflon seals . Are they a 5 year life span .

Always willing to learn .

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive never heard of that.. water gets in the air line from the air being compressed hence tanks needing being drained regularly.. the only oil that should be in teh compressor is the in the pump itself on a oil compressor

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I oil mine…same gun. I don’t do it every time I use it like the rest of my guns though. It works just like it did when it was new.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

ive never heard of that.. water gets in the air line from the air being compressed hence tanks needing being drained regularly.. the only oil that should be in teh compressor is the in the pump itself on a oil compressor

You’re right about water being condensed in the tank and in the air lines as well. In a piston type compressor, oil will be picked up from the cylinder walls and carried by the compressed air. It’s a very small amount of oil but it does help to lubricate the tools.

When you drain water from the tank, have you noticed that the water is sometimes almost black? That small amount of oil carried over through the compressor causes this contamination.

Ian@RHWoodworking
    Pro
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for all the replies. I have been using pascilod pneumatic oil. For a compressor I’m running a 2hp makita that works great buy I don’t think any oil gets into the air line. From your responses I think I will go to putting in a drop at the end of the week and if it starts sticking go back to daily lubrication. Now if I could only settle on an 18 gauge replacement for the slp20. Tried the Hitachi and it jumps every shot making it difficult to get nails set in maple. Leaning towards an omer but can’t find one locally to try.

Trim carpenter at R.H. Woodworking out of Lakeville,MN. Specializing in Finnish carpentry and cabinet installation.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks for all the replies. I have been using pascilod pneumatic oil. For a compressor I’m running a 2hp makita that works great buy I don’t think any oil gets into the air line. From your responses I think I will go to putting in a drop at the end of the week and if it starts sticking go back to daily lubrication. Now if I could only settle on an 18 gauge replacement for the slp20. Tried the Hitachi and it jumps every shot making it difficult to get nails set in maple. Leaning towards an omer but can’t find one locally to try.

I can highly recommend the Grex Green Buddy. It reliably sets nails in Anything.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

Since you have the M18 Fuel line go with the new cordless one! You just have to wait another month till it comes out

Doobie

I can highly recommend the Grex Green Buddy. It reliably sets nails in Anything.

You may be fortunate in that regard. I have a 23g Grex pinner that has served me well when needed for over 5 years, but it is the only Grex I have. But I must admit I’ve read of a lot of people disappointed with some of their other products coming from reliable pros that I trust their observations.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The manufacturer would advertise a gun as oil less if it was designed to operate without oil for its intended life span. Adding oil will not increase or decrease that life span.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Ian@RHWoodworking
    Pro
    Lakeville, MN

I don’t think any cordless gun will work well as a main gun for any serious trim carpenter. They are great for punch list and call backs but I couldn’t see trimming 5000 plus Sq ft. That said I will get the Milwaukee one soon as it hits stores. But no one has any experience with the omer 12.50. Guess I’ll take a chance on it.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

You may be fortunate in that regard. I have a 23g Grex pinner that has served me well when needed for over 5 years, but it is the only Grex I have. But I must admit I’ve read of a lot of people disappointed with some of their other products coming from reliable pros that I trust their observations.

I’ve heard that before too…but I stand buy my Green Buddy, it’s great. I know that DWB bought and returned one a while back. I believe his wouldn’t set nails properly..oddly, mine has zero issues with that.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.256 seconds