dcsimg

Noise on weekend

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m just curious, if you have to do residential work on weekends, how do you manage the noise?

Someone several houses down was redoing his backyard swimming pool, so it’s been real dusty and noisy for a few days (I don’t think they used any wet cutting). On Saturday morning, the contractor came with one of those 2 ft gas powered concrete saw and started cutting around 8:50 AM. I’d imagine it pissed off quite a few people given our postal stamp sized lots, and eventually someone yelled at them to stop. They did eventually stop but not sure if it was because of this.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Shouldnt the homeowner be responsible for this..after all, they know their neighborhood better than the contractor.

If its an issue, or has the potential to become one, he HO should be asking the contractor to start later or not work on Saturday. However, if he’s dry cutting as much as it sounds like he is…the guy can be too bright and isn’t helping the situation.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

Every municipality has rules about making construction noise and what times of days are acceptable. Somebody a while back in my neighborhood woke me up on a Sunday morning. I wasn’t really mad, but I did go on my towns website to check the bylaws and they were working within the set rules so there was nothing I could do about it even if I was mad about it.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yeah not sure why he was dry cutting, I can see clouds of dust cloud coming into the street.

Luckily I was a few houses away so I just closed my window, and the wind blows the dust cloud the other way.

Our area allows for work during normal hours through Saturday. Sundays and holidays are off limits.

Orange County, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I just looked up the town bylaw, Saturday is fine, but there’s a 55 db limit for continuous noise , which I’m pretty sure the saw is way above.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s BS ,,dust like that needs to be contained.
    I think the dust issue is worse than the noise. The noise is like running a lawn mower on the weekend.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah, the joys of city life! I don’t miss it one bit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah, the joys of city life! I don’t miss it one bit.

Amen to that, brother.

Ranch out in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors, private dirt road. Can’t get any better.

Delta

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well since I am having work done, I made sure to tell my neighbours about it and all of them seem to understand as they don’t want a dumpy looking porch to make all their house prices go down they all seem to be all for it.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

<P>I just looked up the town bylaw, Saturday is fine, but there’s a 55 db limit for continuous noise , which I’m pretty sure the saw is way above. </P>

Maybe so (measured at his property line or at complainant’s?), but since you’re into the legaties, define ‘continuous’.
    The way a saw is operated, it’s not continuous, but intermittent, even if it’s often.
    A guy a few blocks over had a cow he was prepping for the fair. The fan mister for cooling wasn’t loud at all – it was the radio playing country music 24 hours a day that would have driven me crazy as a neighbor.
    >That< was continuous.
    Never mind that the cow was against HOA rules.

We got no stinkin’ laws like that!

Actually, I think we may. There was a guy who owned a gravel pit here and would run trucks all day Sunday. Drive was right by a home. Pissed off some people something fierce.

I have an issue with a dirt bike track that showed up years ago about a mile away. Most times I can’t even hear it, but when I do, holy shit it’s like they are right here in our yard. All day long Saturday and Sunday that noise is unbelievable.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

We don’t work many weekends, but when we do we are pretty careful about noise until 9 A.M. Running a generator is probably the noisiest thing we would have there, so maybe get the site organized, run some cordless for a bit, and even start later sometimes.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

we are usually 8 or 9 am if we work weekends also. most of our sites have temp power so the occasional circular saw or the compressor are the worst. I will do some grading on weekends also, with the skidloader, but usually keep that to mid day. Monday through Friday we are limited to 7AM to 10PM. I am not sure about weekends. I have been shut down after 10 a couple of times by the police on a weekday when doing skidloader work trying to beat the weather in the fall.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Over the years I have had the police come and shut us down .It all comes down to where you are working and how loud you get 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

We work most Saturdays and start @ 7:30 am…..nothing has been said as of yet. Sundays we work at home..paperwork.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Fine line to walk for sure the need to get things done vs losingvaluable work time and staring at 9-10am and ending early. I try to keep my workshop noise down for the neighbors. No compressor noise before 9am and nothing after 9pm.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

My neighbor is retired and has all the time in the world. He always mows his lawn at 8 am on Sunday morning. Makes me crazy!
    I try not to ruffle feathers but sure wish he would pick a better time.
    I am not a early person at all. I never start work before 9 am.
    The only thing I get up early for is fishing.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Most places I work have minimum noise regs. Common sense plays a big roll. But please no country and western or rap. IICCKKK

I thought 8 AM was acceptable.

@jzmtl

Hope you guys know concrete dust from grinding or cutting is hazardous.

http://elcosh.org/document/1930/d000852/dry-cutting-%26-grinding-is-risky-business.html

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.271 seconds