dcsimg

Nice Deck

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

Something I looked at today.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Yikes! I wouldn’t dare walk across that. All of the decks like that? I worked on one similar a few years back,and I was thinking “if I move something just right, the whole thing is coming down.

Be careful

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

is that a 12 inch bow in that deck or is that a camera trick.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Mark, I thought you like to work with curves ? 😉

redwood
    Pro

That is not a camera trick. In fact, it looks worse in person.

The house is for sale. I was asked to look at it by some potential buyers.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

Kent, those are the worst and most obvious areas. There is about 1600 sq. ft. of decking, 2 levels. Definately will take some thought to demo it.

I hate to think of what this area looked like, it was actually patched up, sometime back. New trex decking over the old frame.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Anonymous
    Inactive

WOW, Looks the overhang above does it too.

Never just put new over old..it does not work.Tear it down.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

That could turn into a year long project. Gotta love the t 1-11. The trex makes the bows worse, especially that older stuff.

redwood
    Pro

I was paid a fee to look at this job and give a estimate for the deck. There is a good chance that the sale won’t go through. Not because of the deck, but because of a 14′ high retaining wall, done without permits.

A permit was applied for, but never granted. The wall went in anyways. Apparently it’s been about 12 years and looks good. It’s a stacked block wall. They asked me if I thought that anyone would sign off on it and I said no way. Too much liability. The company that did it, is no longer active. It’s in the sellers disclosure that there were no permits and the buyers, who are getting a construction loan for the deck are afraid that the bank might bring it up.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Is the deck rotted to the core or lacking support or…??? How in the world did it get to be in such poor shape….

John S

redwood
    Pro

The whole deck is rotted out, that and not exactly built to any code. Framing was untreated fir, which wasn’t unusual back then. Joists were attached to house with just joist hangers, no ledger. Some of the hangers were for 2×4’s. Some were missing nails.

The beams appear to be 4×12’s, spanning about 20′.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Attachments:
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

wow, joist hangers nailed into T 1-11 !! It’s a wonder it didn’t just fall off of the house years ago !

redwood
    Pro

This deck is approx. 22 years old. It kind of shows how some of our codes today are probably a little too strict. This deck survived a 8.1 earthquake nearby.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Mark, Now I see why I thought the roof was collapsing too, It’s the deck above. Yikes!! Thanks for the extra pic

irishup
    Pro

Amazing that it survived an earthquake. Wow, I thought I’d seen decks in a state of disrepair but this is a whole other level…….

redwood
    Pro

One that I’m on now was only marginally better. The difference is that the current one is much closer to the ground. As we were demoing it, one of my employess, who is a good sized guy, twice stepped through the deck.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

This deck is approx. 22 years old. It kind of shows how some of our codes today are probably a little too strict.

bingo. we did an addition/renovation a few years ago and they had us demo and reframe their deck. no plans, and the GC told us to just reframe it exactly how it was before. the existing deck was barely nailed together and had no hardware whatsoever. when we demoed it, it basically fell part like slow roasted shortribs. yet it stood for 30 years. so we re-framed it like it was before, but the right way with the proper amount of nails and hardware and blah blah blah. architect and engineer come by and say it’s no good and have us double up all the joists and all this overkill shit. unreal.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We did a deck with a roof above that looked like that a few years ago. the posts had settled so much that you could put your whole hand between the top of the post and the beam that was supposed to bear on it.

all of the footings were grossly undersized and only about 2 feet deep, our frost depth is 42″ and we typically go 4+ feet for deck footings.

It was amazing the roof stayed up and the deck stayed intact.

Decks like this crack me up. I actually want to put together a postcard that shows a deck like that with the headline “Your deck shouldn’t smile at you”.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.508 seconds