dcsimg

New Workshop Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I think I would put some flashing over the concrete and up on the wall before siding it. I also haven’t seen it done here with concrete hanging out.

Doobie

I’m also curious about the exterior? I see the extra 1 1/2″ or so of footing around the perimeter of the building?

I wonder if it’s for styro insulative sheets between the sheathing and the cladding maybe?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That would also be a good cure @Doobie . Good thinking!

Maybe strapping or furring strips ? Then the siding? That will bring him over the edge a little or flush,
    Instead of going siding right on the osb? Dunno
    Everyone has their own way.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m also curious about the exterior? I see the extra 1 1/2″ or so of footing around the perimeter of the building?

Looks like it was snapped for 2×6 and 2x4s came instead.

I see what your mentioning @ronw,
    Once the siding is on, there is no ledge, so to speak. The siding over hangs the bit of slab that sticks out. In the 9 years that my garage has been standing, not one drop of water has found its way in.

That frame needs to be flush with the slab and the paper and siding should hang over the slab.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I agree the wall sheeting should be flush with the block.

Only real reason for it to be back is if it’s for foam to come flush, or a brick ledge.

The initial idea was to brick the walls, to match the house, and so that is why the gap was left. Then, the inspector said that the pad was not sufficient to hold the weight of the brick, so have to change it now to either flashing around the bottom, or, as has been mentioned here, an insulative styrofoam between the sheathing and the siding.

Beginner’s mistake and should have taken into account the extra weight of the brick………

Luckily, there are workarounds.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

The initial idea was to brick the walls, to match the house, and so that is why the gap was left. Then, the inspector said that the pad was not sufficient to hold the weight of the brick, so have to change it now to either flashing around the bottom, or, as has been mentioned here, an insulative styrofoam between the sheathing and the siding.

Beginner’s mistake and should have taken into account the extra weight of the brick………

You must have just poured the garage pad and no footing before the pad?

Either way what’s the actual measurement of the ledge?

Could be some other alternatives.

Doobie

Don’t fret. Happens to everybody. Especially to the Wile E Coyotes we all think we are.

Actually, footings were in place before the pour…….

Haven’t measured the ledge overhang, but will probably just add flashing and then siding to bring it flush…Still mulling over what my best option is.

As I mentioned, beginner’s mistake, and one I will learn from for any future projects. Appreciate all the feedback though – its a great help!!!

You must have just poured the garage pad and no footing before the pad?

Either way what’s the actual measurement of the ledge?

Could be some other alternatives.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Haven’t measured the ledge overhang, but will probably just add flashing and then siding to bring it flush…Still mulling over what my best option is.

Depending on the amount of hangover, flashing would be the least I would do. The extra insulation from 1″ foam board might be a good thing too.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Cheers @RonW – Will be going with 1″ styrofoam and Tyvek house wrap on the sheathing. Flashing the bottom and concrete, and then add siding to bring it flush. That should give me a nice bit of extra insulation, before I insulate and drywall inside.

Depending on the amount of hangover, flashing would be the least I would do. The extra insulation from 1″ foam board might be a good thing too.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Will be going with 1″ styrofoam and Tyvek house wrap on the sheathing. Flashing the bottom and concrete, and then add siding to bring it flush. That should give me a nice bit of extra insulation, before I insulate and drywall inside.

You can’t have too much insulation in a work shop, keeps out the winter cold and the summer heat. The summer heat is what gets me. When it gets hot the shop feels like an oven.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Cheers ronw – Will be going with 1″ styrofoam and Tyvek house wrap on the sheathing. Flashing the bottom and concrete, and then add siding to bring it flush. That should give me a nice bit of extra insulation, before I insulate and drywall inside.

Good call going with the extra insulation on the exterior. It makes a much bigger difference then most people think.

Doobie

Will be going with 1″ styrofoam and Tyvek house wrap on the sheathing.

Not sure, but if you have the styro over the ply sheathing, I don’t think you need any housewrap also.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Cheers @ronw – Will be going with 1″ styrofoam and Tyvek house wrap on the sheathing. Flashing the bottom and concrete, and then add siding to bring it flush. That should give me a nice bit of extra insulation, before I insulate and drywall inside.

Good call on the extra insulation. You can get styro insulation that has a “house wrap” bonded right to it, usually foil faced. Just tape the seams with the same stuff you use on house wrap.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Looking great! It will be nice to have that extra insulation as well.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Will be going with 1″ styrofoam and Tyvek house wrap on the sheathing.

Not sure, but if you have the styro over the ply sheathing, I don’t think you need any housewrap also.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

We always use house wrap under the siding.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Should be an easy shop to heat and cool. Assuming R20 in the walls plus the exterior styro will really tighten it up.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

On the outside, is that EPS you use or extruded PS?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.243 seconds