dcsimg

New Workshop Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like you are off to a great start. Sure beats my ‘extra bedroom’ shop!

Any shop is a good shop in my book.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

No plumbing Andrew,, but heating for sure…………still trying to decide on which method of heat to install, but have a bit of time to sort that out.

Radiant in floor heat is great in a shop. It does not move the dust around so no worries when finishing something. It is a little more expensive than forced air, and it would take a redundant system if you want to air condition the space, but if you do not need air, it is ideal. It also keeps the heat down where you are working.

That’s something that I never would have thought of, but very true it wouldn’t cause dust to fly around.

This for me was the best $1000 I ever spent on myself. 🙂

I put electric radiant when the slab was being poured and I have have the stat programmed to up the heat to 10*C on the weekends and the slab is somewhat bearable to work on. I do supplement with a 220V contractor heater to quickly heat the air while in there.
    My only regret, is the slab should have been a little thicker so I could install a 2-post lift without worrying about hitting any of the wires.
    Now I think the lift will have to get mounted outside of the garage in my yard.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@58Chev oh man, there has to be a way to be able to find those heating cables, what temperature can you bring the heated floor up to

But that is a great idea with the heated floor, especially to keep the dust from blowing around in a shop.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Cheers @dirtywhiteboy – Actually, we are going to do that. I was thinking of running a set of rails for a moveable hoist, which will give me use of the hoist anywhere in the garage.

The shop is looking great.. Have you thought of putting in a beam or 2 across the top so you could hoist things up with a block&tackle??

thats one thing I really want in my shop, it is a pain moving stuff around on casters sometimes.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

No plumbing Andrew,, but heating for sure…………still trying to decide on which method of heat to install, but have a bit of time to sort that out.

Radiant in floor heat is great in a shop. It does not move the dust around so no worries when finishing something. It is a little more expensive than forced air, and it would take a redundant system if you want to air condition the space, but if you do not need air, it is ideal. It also keeps the heat down where you are working.

That’s something that I never would have thought of, but very true it wouldn’t cause dust to fly around.

This for me was the best $1000 I ever spent on myself. 🙂

I put electric radiant when the slab was being poured and I have have the stat programmed to up the heat to 10*C on the weekends and the slab is somewhat bearable to work on. I do supplement with a 220V contractor heater to quickly heat the air while in there.
    My only regret, is the slab should have been a little thicker so I could install a 2-post lift without worrying about hitting any of the wires.
    Now I think the lift will have to get mounted outside of the garage in my yard.

I’m sure if you let the slab cool then heated it up while watching with a thermal camera you could find the wires pretty easily.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’m sure if you let the slab cool then heated it up while watching with a thermal camera you could find the wires pretty easily.

That might be a possibility. The wires are 3 to 4″ down in the slab. Once the thermal camera starts to detect the heat, the surrounding area might be all heated up.

I hadn’t thought about trying a thermal camera, It is something for me to think about. ThanX @>WoodsConstruction

— Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Cheers @dirtywhiteboy – Actually, we are going to do that. I was thinking of running a set of rails for a moveable hoist, which will give me use of the hoist anywhere in the garage.

The shop is looking great.. Have you thought of putting in a beam or 2 across the top so you could hoist things up with a block&tackle??

In my experience, the MOL will have a lot to say about how an overhead system is designed, engineered, installed and inspected. Have you considered all the associated costs?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That might be a possibility. The wires are 3 to 4″ down in the slab. Once the thermal camera starts to detect the heat, the surrounding area might be all heated up.

I hadn’t thought about trying a thermal camera, It is something for me to think about. ThanX @>WoodsConstruction

It may or may not work, I just figure if you let the whole thing cool first it might show a little easier before the heat starts to spread through the concrete.

Got a bit more done today. Plywood on roof and now roof is enclosed. Family stuff this afternoon, so have to pack it in for the day, but it’s coming along nicely.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Got a bit more done today. Plywood on roof and now roof is enclosed. Family stuff this afternoon, so have to pack it in for the day, but it’s coming along nicely.

Looks like you’ve made some nice progress. Sheathing the roof gets you one step closer to in the dry.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Nice progress, and a nice size by the looks of it now that the sheathing is getting close to done. A bit of overhead storage happening there?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

@geordie99 wow nice progress, nice big loading door, and looks like you have a few windows, should have some good natural light coming in,

@JimDaddyO – That was the plan. Hoping that I’ll end up with about 18′ x 12′ of decent sized overhead storage.

Nice progress, and a nice size by the looks of it now that the sheathing is getting close to done. A bit of overhead storage happening there?

Cheers @RonW – First real build from scratch, so learning as I go. Lots of reading up and some great advice on this forum. Got to hand it to you guys that do this day in, day out as a living.

Looks like you’ve made some nice progress. Sheathing the roof gets you one step closer to in the dry.

Cheers @Boschmanbrian – wanted a decent amount of natural light, but don’t want the contents too visible from outside. Should be decent enough, and with the lights that I will be installing, there will be no shortage of good lighting.

@geordie99 wow nice progress, nice big loading door, and looks like you have a few windows, should have some good natural light coming in,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Got a bit more done today.

Starting to look like a shop now Great work.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

You’re moving right along. Very close to being closed in. What do you have planned for the exterior?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

What do you have planned for the exterior?

I’m also curious about the exterior? I see the extra 1 1/2″ or so of footing around the perimeter of the building?

Ron

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

What do you have planned for the exterior?

I’m also curious about the exterior? I see the extra 1 1/2″ or so of footing around the perimeter of the building?

@RonW
    That is typical for a garage build up here. My slab also sits about 5″ above grade. Helps in the winter time with snow build up.

— Glenn Botting

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

ronw,
    That is typical for a garage build up here. My slab also sits about 5″ above grade. Helps in the winter time with snow build up.

@58Chev
    Not questioning the amount above the ground. It’s the extra width. I don’t see that here. Looks to me that it would give water a easier way in the building.

Ron

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ronw,

58chev Not questioning the amount above the ground. It’s the extra width. I don’t see that here. Looks to me that it would give water a easier way in the building.

I see what your mentioning @ronw,
    Once the siding is on, there is no ledge, so to speak. The siding over hangs the bit of slab that sticks out. In the 9 years that my garage has been standing, not one drop of water has found its way in.

— Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.312 seconds