dcsimg

New Workshop Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Hey Guys,

Been a long time since I’ve posted, but wanted to share my latest project. I’ve finally decided that it’s time to build myself a proper workshop, and so I have started construction of a 29′ x 15′ shop in my backyard.

Ripped out the existing shed that was there, and excavated in order to lay the concrete pad. Pad pour went well, and city inspectors have passed everything off so far.

Walls have been framed, and yesterday, I got the trusses installed. Starting to come together, and will keep the thread updated as I progress.

Our lovely Canadian winter is dictating the pace of the build, but pretty happy with what I have so far. Pics below show the progress to date.

Cheers and nice to be back,

Steve

How many square feet will you have? Has to be exciting to start a project like that. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks………….it’s 435 sq ft. with 14’9″ high ceiling. That is the maximum allowable size that I could build on my lot, while staying within the bylaw restrictions. It’s still going to be a considerable improvement on my basement, and something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

That amount of square feet should work out fine unless you have one of everything. LOL. Definite step up from trying to work in a basement. That can be a pain.

Sweet! We love shop builds and pics! Congrats! Any plumbing going in?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

No plumbing Andrew,, but heating for sure…………still trying to decide on which method of heat to install, but have a bit of time to sort that out.

Nice! Very excited for you! Nothing like that new shop smell! We need a good new shop build on here… @RonW had one that carried us for awhile last year.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Thanks for the heads up Andrew. I’m sure I can learn a lot from @ronw ‘s thread, as I’ve seen work that he’s done previously, and his craftsmanship is excellent!!

This is my first build, so learning as I go. Main concern at the moment, is keeping the City Bylaw arseholes happy. So far, so good.

Nice! Very excited for you! Nothing like that new shop smell! We need a good new shop build on here… @ronw had one that carried us for awhile last year.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Oh man got to love a new shop. I will be looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Cheers @ronw…….. I wanted to go bigger, but the bylaw restrictions, and city residential regulations, have limited the size to 29′ x 15′. That is the absolute maximum size that they would allow me to build on my lot.

I had to take into account, the distance of the building from the property line, so as not to piss off the neighbours. Believe me, if I could have gone bigger, I would have in a heartbeat!!

Love your thread and shop build. Going to read a bit more in-depth over the next couple of days and get some pointers on how you did yours.

Cheers,

Steve

Oh man got to love a new shop. I will be looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Thanks………….it’s 435 sq ft. with 14’9″ high ceiling. That is the maximum allowable size that I could build on my lot, while staying within the bylaw restrictions. It’s still going to be a considerable improvement on my basement, and something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

Nice size shop, Steve. Largest I could go was 23×16 without a variance.

I wish that in Etobicoke I was allowed to get a tall ceiling. Out here its 13′ something to the peak and interior wall height has to stay at 8′ without putting in for a variance.

How thick a pad did you pour?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@geordie99 wow, congrats man that’s gonna be a great workshop.
    Definitely wish I had the space and cash for something like that.
    Will be following this thread, it’s always nice to see someone’s workshop.
    Nice pictures
    That’s a good size and ceiling height also.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Stinks that you can’t go bigger. A workshop is something you can never go to big. Look forward to how you set it up.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Been a long time since I’ve posted, but wanted to share my latest project. I’ve finally decided that it’s time to build myself a proper workshop, and so I have started construction of a 29′ x 15′ shop in my backyard.

Congrats,nice to see you building a dedicated shop.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Congrats on the new shop, Steve. It’s a good size from where I sit and gotta love the high ceiling.

Ill be watching your progress with a good deal of “shop envy”. lol

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Just seeing you get started has me jelous. I’ve been bugging my wife for years to give up 600sq ft of the backyard for a little Shop.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I loves me a good shop build thread! Looks like some nice work so far. Nice size too. I have 12 x 20 and although a little cramped, it is far far better than what I had before which was a 12 x 12 leaky old falling down garden shed. Post lots of photos of the progress.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Cheers, and that still sounds like a nice space that you built for yourself.

The pad was 6″ thick. It’s a shame that we are restricted to certain parameters, with regards to the dimensions. I know that some people in my area cry to the city if your grass is a few millimeters above what it should be. I’m guessing that people like that, and their input, has had something to do with how these restrictions were drafted.

Nice size shop, Steve. Largest I could go was 23×16 without a variance.

I wish that in Etobicoke I was allowed to get a tall ceiling. Out here its 13′ something to the peak and interior wall height has to stay at 8′ without putting in for a variance.

How thick a pad did you pour?

I certainly remember your shop build thread @JimDaddyO, and how well it all fell into place, as you were building it. It should be a mandatory requirement for new home builds – a workshop for the man………lol

Will definitely post pics as things progress. Have all my tools in storage in my basement right now, so it will be nice to get that back and be able to turn it into proper living space again!!

I loves me a good shop build thread! Looks like some nice work so far. Nice size too. I have 12 x 20 and although a little cramped, it is far far better than what I had before which was a 12 x 12 leaky old falling down garden shed. Post lots of photos of the progress.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

When we built our house, I was adamant on having a 24×36 detached built at the same time. 22 years later, we are starting to look at moving again. I still need either the shop, or the space to build one on any house that we consider.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.236 seconds