dcsimg

New white oak floor

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I pity the fool who walks across it with cleats on.

That’s a visual I would rather not have first thing in the morning. lol

This is my first experience with water based products so I have my fingers crossed. It sure was easy to apply and a 2 hour dry time between coats was really nice.

Wow four coats. Nice it had a 2 hour dry time that it made it easier than waiting a day between coats.

It really was a pleasure to work with.

This is my first experience with water based products so I have my fingers crossed. It sure was easy to apply and a 2 hour dry time between coats was really nice.

Wow four coats. Nice it had a 2 hour dry time that it made it easier than waiting a day between coats.

Definitely more easily to work with, and definitely not as hard for trying to get rid of the smell.
    Just not as durable, but with four coats, should be good for some time. I did use the water on oak stairs at my prior home, easy to work with, and less of an odour , but have done a few floors with the original urethane, and never had any recalls.
    That being said, they have really improved the quality of the water based, and coming from B M I’m sure it must be a good product.

You’re right, Brian, time will tell. I turn 75 next week so I doubt I will be the one to do the refinish LOL.

I didn’t know Benjamin Moore made a water base finish for wood.

Honestly Peter you never know my Grandmother is 94 and living on her farm. She cut her grass using a riding mower until she was 92 and used one until she was 85.

Greg

Definitely more easily to work with, and definitely not as hard for trying to get rid of the smell.
    Just not as durable, but with four coats, should be good for some time. I did use the water on oak stairs at my prior home, easy to work with, and less of an odour , but have done a few floors with the original urethane, and never had any recalls.
    That being said, they have really improved the quality of the water based, and coming from B M I’m sure it must be a good product.

You’re right, Brian, time will tell. I turn 75 next week so I doubt I will be the one to do the refinish LOL.

No way, get outta town Peter, I don’t believe you are going to be 75,
    You would probably put me to shame with your work ethic,
    I’ll say like others have said, my great uncle stopped driving at 90, and my dad was 87 when he passed on. You have plenty of time to let us know how it’s holding up, and probably even be able to recoat it lol
    You better stick around Peter. We need your experience and drive,

Keep up the great content and knowledge buddy.

Clev08
    Pro

Second part of the job is finished now. Just giving the urethane 24 hours to fully dry before moving back into the room.

Sanding and finish went really quickly; there were very few spots that needed more than a light sanding with 120 grit.

Wow, what a beautiful floor, it really sets off the rest of the woodwork!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for the kind words, all. I finished up the last threshold today. I am working on making the 1/4 round trim now. Should have that done in a few days.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am working on making the 1/4 round trim now. Should have that done in a few days.

Making your own trim too that is neat.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am working on making the 1/4 round trim now. Should have that done in a few days.

I thought to myself; I have the tools, the material and the time. Why spend a small fortune buying oak trim when I can make it. Besides, it just feels good to make stuff and to do it all myself.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I thought to myself; I have the tools, the material and the time. Why spend a small fortune buying oak trim when I can make it. Besides, it just feels good to make stuff and to do it all myself.

I couldn’t agree more. If you have the time, material and tools. I am sure you can save a fair bit of money. My FIL made all his own trim and baseboard out of oak for there family room at there old house. He did a good job.

Greg

Thanks for the kind words, all. I finished up the last threshold today. I am working on making the 1/4 round trim now. Should have that done in a few days.

What machine do you have to make the 1/4 round profile a sharper , router table setup .

Always willing to learn .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

it just feels good to make stuff and to do it all myself.

It does feel good when you are done knowing you did it all yourself.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

What machine do you have to make the 1/4 round profile a sharper , router table setup .

I’ll be using my router table for this shape. 2 passes does the trick with a 3/4″ radius bit. The Bosch 1619 router has no trouble at all.

I will post some pics of the setup.

Great idea Peter,
    Looking forward to seeing your work again, how much do you need to make

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Great idea Peter,
    Looking forward to seeing your work again, how much do you need to make

I only need about 100 linear feet to do both rooms. I just had a look at my white oak supply and I do need to go get some more material.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

A quick update on this project

A year later, the floor is performing very well. The water based finish has resisted scratches extremely well; I would recommend the BM product without reservation.

So far there is no cupping at all. During the winter some of the joints opened slightly but have closed completely now with the humid weather.

The trim is still not done. The oak has been drying in my shed for the past year and is ready for milling now. I will be getting at that part of the job this week with any luck at all

Attachments:

Awesome job Peter. Looks fresh not a year later. Have fun with the milling and installation of the trim. That will give you a big smile as you finish it off.

OLD THREAD WARNING

A year later, the floor is performing very well. The water based finish has resisted scratches extremely well; I would recommend the BM product without reservation.

So far there is no cupping at all. During the winter some of the joints opened slightly but have closed completely now with the humid weather.

The trim is still not done. The oak has been drying in my shed for the past year and is ready for milling now. I will be getting at that part of the job this week with any luck at all

Good to hear that it’s holding up well, do you have any type of humidifier in the winter months Peter,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The water based finish

Good to hear your floor is holding up and the water based finish is doing job for you.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

Good to hear that it’s holding up well, do you have any type of humidifier in the winter months Peter,

Absolutely. Actually we run 2 of them, one upstairs and the other main floor. In a leaky old house they are necessary in the cold weather.

OLD THREAD WARNING

Absolutely. Actually we run 2 of them, one upstairs and the other main floor. In a leaky old house they are necessary in the cold weather.

That must help a little.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.581 seconds