dcsimg

New white oak floor

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I got some of the plugs in place and trimmed yesterday. Kind of took it easy after finishing one room.

Some new pics of the job. The Bosch OMT did a great job undercutting the casings. I got really lucky; the pocket doors didn’t need any trimming at all. I cut a couple of hundred plugs just to be on the safe side. The PS32 did an amazing job running the taper drill and counterbore.

@sprokitz I considered 2 plugs per board but thought it would be too busy looking. I think it would have been the right choice, though. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the update. Your doing great job. Looks like the Bosch OMT is good tool to have for this project. I don’t mine the looks of the plugs. I agree 2 plugs would be to busy. How do you like the taper drill and counterbore bit Peter? Is this from Lee Valley?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I got some of the plugs in place and trimmed yesterday. Kind of took it easy after finishing one room.

Some new pics of the job. The Bosch OMT did a great job undercutting the casings. I got really lucky; the pocket doors didn’t need any trimming at all. I cut a couple of hundred plugs just to be on the safe side. The PS32 did an amazing job running the taper drill and counterbore.

@sprokitz I considered 2 plugs per board but thought it would be too busy looking. I think it would have been the right choice, though. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the update. Your doing great job. Looks like the Bosch OMT is good tool to have for this project. I don’t mine the looks of the plugs. I agree 2 plugs would be to busy. How do you like the taper drill and counterbore bit Peter? Is this from Lee Valley?

Thanks, Greg, yes the drill is LV. It’s part of a kit I got at a yard sale a month or so ago. I had never had one before but really like using it. Much better than the drill and countersink combinations that use standard twist drills.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks, Greg, yes the drill is LV. It’s part of a kit I got at a yard sale a month or so ago. I had never had one before but really like using it. Much better than the drill and countersink combinations that use standard twist drills.

I remember when you when you picked up that set at yard sale and I thought might have been LV. Nice to hear you like it and sure it will pay for itself after this flooring job.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The installation is coming along nice. Really like the plugs give it a finished look.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Second part of the job is finished now. Just giving the urethane 24 hours to fully dry before moving back into the room.

Sanding and finish went really quickly; there were very few spots that needed more than a light sanding with 120 grit.

Attachments:

Second part of the job is finished now. Just giving the urethane 24 hours to fully dry before moving back into the room.

Sanding and finish went really quickly; there were very few spots that needed more than a light sanding with 120 grit.

Looks fantastic Peter, I like the contrast with the dark doors, and those doors are very nice by the way.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Wow that floor does look really nice. Good job!

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Second part of the job is finished now.

Came out really nice. Great job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That looks amazing. Great job and it goes well with he darker stained wood.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, all, it was a very rewarding job. Now gotta go and rest, lol.

@boschmanbrian
    , the level of trim is something I have always liked about older homes. I can just imagine the cost of finishing a house like that today.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Very handsome job indeed! You did a great job.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Looks really nice . What’s the urethane brand you are using on that white oak floor boards .

Always willing to learn .

Thanks, all, it was a very rewarding job. Now gotta go and rest, lol.

@boschmanbrian, the level of trim is something I have always liked about older homes. I can just imagine the cost of finishing a house like that today.

It definitely adds character to the homes,

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Looks really nice . What’s the urethane brand you are using on that white oak floor boards .

I used 4 coats of Benjamin Moore “Stays Clear” satin. It doesn’t give the honey colour I am accustomed to in a floor finish but it highlights the grain very nicely.

This is my first experience with water based products so I have my fingers crossed. It sure was easy to apply and a 2 hour dry time between coats was really nice.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I pity the fool who walks across it with cleats on.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This is my first experience with water based products so I have my fingers crossed. It sure was easy to apply and a 2 hour dry time between coats was really nice.

Wow four coats. Nice it had a 2 hour dry time that it made it easier than waiting a day between coats.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a visual I would rather not have first thing in the morning. lol

Wow four coats. Nice it had a 2 hour dry time that it made it easier than waiting a day between coats.

It really was a pleasure to work with.

I used 4 coats of Benjamin Moore “Stays Clear” satin. It doesn’t give the honey colour I am accustomed to in a floor finish but it highlights the grain very nicely.

Yeah water base can be a bit tricky on wear . What is the warranty on stays clear from Benjamin Moore just wondering .

Always willing to learn .

Definitely more easily to work with, and definitely not as hard for trying to get rid of the smell.
    Just not as durable, but with four coats, should be good for some time. I did use the water on oak stairs at my prior home, easy to work with, and less of an odour , but have done a few floors with the original urethane, and never had any recalls.
    That being said, they have really improved the quality of the water based, and coming from B M I’m sure it must be a good product.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Definitely more easily to work with, and definitely not as hard for trying to get rid of the smell.
    Just not as durable, but with four coats, should be good for some time. I did use the water on oak stairs at my prior home, easy to work with, and less of an odour , but have done a few floors with the original urethane, and never had any recalls.
    That being said, they have really improved the quality of the water based, and coming from B M I’m sure it must be a good product.

You’re right, Brian, time will tell. I turn 75 next week so I doubt I will be the one to do the refinish LOL.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.500 seconds