dcsimg

New white oak floor

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Floor is finished and ready for pick up.

Great news looking forward to see it installed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Floor is finished and ready for pick up. I will get it home Friday very likely. Pics to follow.

Good news Peter, looking forward to seeing your installation pictures or finished pictures.

Do you have to leave it in the house / rooms like any other hardwood floors to let them adapt to the condition of the house.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Floor is finished and ready for pick up. I will get it home Friday very likely. Pics to follow.

Good news Peter, looking forward to seeing your installation pictures or finished pictures.

Do you have to leave it in the house / rooms like any other hardwood floors to let them adapt to the condition of the house.

It should be close to equilibrium with the house but I will leave it in the rooms where it will go for a week or so before installation.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Got about 100 sf in today and the results are very pleasing to the Mrs. The Bostich nailer is a winner IMO; set the nails perfectly all day.

Board width came out to 4 7/8″, some imperfections but nothing serious. The 10′ length is just a treat to work with. 2 boards max to span the room so far. The price was right as well; it came in at $2.20/sf

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Got about 100 sf in today and the results are very pleasing to the Mrs. The Bostich nailer is a winner IMO; set the nails perfectly all day.

Board width came out to 4 7/8″, some imperfections but nothing serious. The 10′ length is just a treat to work with. 2 boards max to span the room so far. The price was right as well; it came in at $2.20/sf

Wow I like the looks of that wood. I am sure the 10′ board are nice to work with. I am sure some imperfection is ok. When the rooms have stuff in it you will most likely never see them.
    This made me think of a time when I was getting lumber from my lumber guy. He was storing a bunch of oak flooring for guy that defects and he was selling for $1.00 sq. I thought it wasn’t a bad deal if you were looking for a cheap hardwood floor. I didn’t need any so I didn’t buy any.

Did you buy that nailer or rent it?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Wow Peter, that looks amazing,
    Really like the look,

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Looks great ! Can’t wait to see it with a finish on it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks really nice so far. Nice grain for sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Looking good! The Bostich floor gun always seems to be a winner. Lots of happy owners.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, guys, it’s been a long process; sourcing the oak, drying, milling and now finally installing. Still have more to do, screw and plug the end joints but it is very gratifying to see it all going together.

Thanks, guys, it’s been a long process; sourcing the oak, drying, milling and now finally installing. Still have more to do, screw and plug the end joints but it is very gratifying to see it all going together.

Yeah I remember you saying that is the way you were going to go with the ends, definitely looking forward to seeing how it ends up lol no pun intended.
    How do they but up against each other so far. Just curious, what type of screws will you be using for that.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Yeah I remember you saying that is the way you were going to go with the ends, definitely looking forward to seeing how it ends up lol no pun intended.
    How do they but up against each other so far. Just curious, what type of screws will you be using for that.

The ends are just butted together. I was considering using a spline joint but decided it wasn’t really worth the effort. I will be using a 2″ construction screw with a drill point profile. The floor is going over 1/2″ plwood on top of 1 1/2″ pine t & g subfloor. Should be lots of holding power there. Holes will be drilled with a tapered drill/ countersink/counterbore. I made up an acrylic jig to mark the holes on each end of the boards with a 1/16″ nail set just to keep the location uniform.

Attachments:

The ends are just butted together. I was considering using a spline joint but decided it wasn’t really worth the effort. I will be using a 2″ construction screw with a drill point profile. The floor is going over 1/2″ plwood on top of 1 1/2″ pine t & g subfloor. Should be lots of holding power there. Holes will be drilled with a tapered drill/ countersink/counterbore. I made up an acrylic jig to mark the holes on each end of the boards with a 1/16″ nail set just to keep the location uniform.

That’s great Peter, you really thought this out nicely, nice and easy and effective jig,
    Thanks for the info Peter, beautiful work as always, and I just looked at the pictures on the computer, the floor is amazing, what type of finishing will it be getting.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

looks great, and since i am thinking of redoing my floors as well, i may need to pick up one of the bostitches nailers.

Clev08
    Pro

Wow, beautiful looking floors and at an even better price. Can’t wait to see how the plugs look

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That’s a good idea to make jig for drilling the holes.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

The ends are just butted together. I was considering using a spline joint but decided it wasn’t really worth the effort. I will be using a 2″ construction screw with a drill point profile.

Personal preference, but I always liked the look of 2 plugged screws in floor butt joints

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I made up an acrylic jig to mark the holes on each end of the boards with a 1/16″ nail set just to keep the location uniform.

Good idea on the jig, will keep everything looking nice and uniform.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I got some of the plugs in place and trimmed yesterday. Kind of took it easy after finishing one room.

Some new pics of the job. The Bosch OMT did a great job undercutting the casings. I got really lucky; the pocket doors didn’t need any trimming at all. I cut a couple of hundred plugs just to be on the safe side. The PS32 did an amazing job running the taper drill and counterbore.

@sprokitz I considered 2 plugs per board but thought it would be too busy looking. I think it would have been the right choice, though. Maybe next time.

@smallerstick nice update for the pictures Peter, looks very nice,
    Great work with the OMT at the door jamb, nice and clean and neat.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.476 seconds