dcsimg

New walkway/steps

Tagged: 

• This topic has 110 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

I didn’t like the existing steps/walk up to my front deck, so I decided to change it. I had some texture stamps from my previous house and decided to see what I could do. I am not a concrete guy, so this is a DIY project.

This will not be the final color. I used a color hardener first and then a different colored release agent, which will leave a little bit of this color, I hope.

The walk will be 2 courses wide, a little over 3′. I also plan on digging out the steps and infilling them, as well.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

You have been working hard Mark. It looks good. I’m wondering if you could make a partition in the mold and get the angles to fit tighter around the curved section?

redwood
    Pro

You have been working hard Mark. It looks good. I’m wondering if you could make a partition in the mold and get the angles to fit tighter around the curved section?

Or hardly working, I’m taking my time.

I thought a lot about this, too much, and just decided this was the easiest way, since I’m solo. None of the patterns out there are really geared towards curves. I did pick up a texturing skin that somewhat matches my stamps. I’ll use it on the steps, which aren’t formed in any standard dimension, just close. I am somewhat limited in that I don’t have a lot of stamps, but that just keeps me from working too hard.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Anonymous
    Inactive

@redwood I’m really liking this idea of the built up pathway, versus a concrete sidewalk. With your wooded surroundings, it will look great.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well that’s a nice project you’ve got going. It should look good when done. Will you do any landscaping in there?

redwood
    Pro

@redwood I’m really liking this idea of the built up pathway, versus a concrete sidewalk. With your wooded surroundings, it will look great.

Thank You

Well that’s a nice project you’ve got going. It should look good when done. Will you do any landscaping in there?

If I do, it will be minimal. Too much wildlife and then there is the snow.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thank You

If I do, it will be minimal. Too much wildlife and then there is the snow.

Ok so no garden but what about some ground covering? I would plant a Rose garden if it would grow in that climate. The women love Rose gardens. Oh I do too.

redwood
    Pro

Ok so no garden but what about some ground covering? I would plant a Rose garden if it would grow in that climate. The women love Rose gardens. Oh I do too.

So do the deer.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

It looks great so far ! looking forward to seeing the end result .

Looks good Mark, must be nice (not always) to have that much nature around you. Figured you would find some creative ways to keep busy

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I’m liking what you have done so far Mark.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep I can see you’re a retired man now, Nice project ya have going there. My back hurts just looking at it

redwood
    Pro

Yep I can see you’re a retired man now, Nice project ya have going there. My back hurts just looking at it

Ain’t that the truth. The hard part was carrying the sacks of concrete up the hill to the mixer.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

Ain’t that the truth. The hard part was carrying the sacks of concrete up the hill to the mixer.

Hope you’re using some kind of wagon or tilt truck for that. Or are you training for some ironman competition and are carrying two at a time, one on each shoulder? 😉

I am not a concrete guy, so this is a DIY project.

This will not be the final color. I used a color hardener first and then a different colored release agent,

Well you’re more a concrete guy than I am already by the sounds of it. What is a coloured release agent?

redwood
    Pro

Well you’re more a concrete guy than I am already by the sounds of it. What is a coloured release agent?

@doobie

A release agent keeps the molds or stamps, from sticking to the concrete, when you pull them off. In this case, it’s just a powder that doesn’t absorb moisture. Way back, before I knew about this, I would use saran wrap. That worked, but was messy.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

@redwood looking good so far Mark,
    How you enjoying retirement so far,
    Must be nice for have some down time once and a while. Keep up the good work, enjoy your time.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Mark looking really nice so far.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

@doobie

A release agent keeps the molds or stamps, from sticking to the concrete, when you pull them off. In this case, it’s just a powder that doesn’t absorb moisture. Way back, before I knew about this, I would use saran wrap. That worked, but was messy.

I’d heard of release agents before, although I’d never used any and don’t know of what they consisted of, I just never knew they came in a colored powder form.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Mark,
    Are you replacing the circle ones with the square ones? I like the look of it. Looks like you have a gorgeous property

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

redwood
    Pro

Mark,
    Are you replacing the circle ones with the square ones? I like the look of it. Looks like you have a gorgeous property

That is correct Jim. The ones that I am making are larger and closer together. They will be 2 rows wide when I’m finished.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.549 seconds