dcsimg

New Sponsor Test – GeeFix Wall Anchors

Tagged: 

This topic contains 78 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
  • Author

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

We NEED a few good installers

We are evaluating a new site sponsor. They are GeeFix and they manufacture a better fastener for drywall – so they say. Essentially they have rethought the standard toggle bolt drywall anchor.

We need a few of you Pro’s to volunteer to use these on your next couple of jobs and report back if they are a go or a no go.

Here are a few videos you can watch to see if this is going to work for you.

GeeFix video 1

GeeFix video 2

In speaking with the owner they seem to feel that with the revolution in flat screen TV’s that their solution is one that will save contractors time and money and increase the confidence they have in using wall anchors to secure heavy objects.

In order to be considered you MUST:
    1) be a professional contractor
    2) have a need to anchor on your next job
    3) be able to write up a short 250 word review
    4) provide a few images or a video on your own tests

What you will receive.
    – a free pack of GeeFix anchors to use as you see fit
    – 20,000 points

To be considered, please send me an email to bethepro@bethepro.com and expound on why you should be the lucky one or two that gets to try out this new gadget.

Cheers,
    Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Anonymous

Great to have another new sponsor. I remember someone in here was talking about using these a while back, Just can’t remember who it was but they liked them.

I like the comparisons in the second video with the shelves, Pretty much tells the story. Although hanging from the TV bracket is impressive but a bit deceiving, In the first video it shows it being installed with 4 of the GeeFix anchors AND also 2 screws into the stud. Which of course is a must for a big TV anyway, The drywall itself wouldn’t hold something that heavy.

Thanks Jim and Welcome GeeFix

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I have use items similar to this and after checking out the website and watching the videos, these look so much easier and cleaner to install!

Welcome GeeFix!

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

That looks really neat, a lot bigger than it looks like in photo too. Looks like effortless installation compare to those folding toggle anchors.

Anonymous

The nice thing about these is you can use them more than once, Unlike a toggle bolt. You undo it and ya lose it, Imagine how many of those are laying in the bottom of walls LOL

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

In the first video it shows it being installed with 4 of the GeeFix anchors AND also 2 screws into the stud. Which of course is a must for a big TV anyway, The drywall itself wouldn’t hold something that heavy.

Great point Dabbs. I completely agree that the anchors are only doing a portion of the work in that application. In my experience, there are many times when hanging a TV that I can only hit an single stud due to the specific location that the TV is being hung. In times like this, I still add drywall anchors (the larger screw in type that bite the wall board itself), but if these are better…then I’m all for trying them!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Hmmm…looks interesting. I am a big snap toggler fan. These seem similar but add the step of the 2 extra screws and 25mm is quite a big hole. I would have to try them to see for myself.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Looks like a strong system, but wow such a large hold. Need to mount something substantial to hide it then repairing the hole will be interesting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks like a strong system, but wow such a large hold. Need to mount something substantial to hide it then repairing the hole will be interesting

Based on the videos, the hole is plugged in the process. The round nylon (maybe) plug fits into the hole snuggly. Now if the item is removed and the anchor needs to come out…there will be a 1″ hole left behind to patch.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

The nice thing about these is you can use them more than once, Unlike a toggle bolt. You undo it and ya lose it, Imagine how many of those are laying in the bottom of walls LOL

Yes right about that I replaced the lights in my garage, they used some of those toggle bolts, you guessed it, try to retrieve the bolt portion in the ceiling, I changed hole position and used some other types.

What I like about these Gee fix is the backing grabs more material, making them stronger.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Based on the videos, the hole is plugged in the process. The round nylon (maybe) plug fits into the hole snuggly. Now if the item is removed and the anchor needs to come out…there will be a 1″ hole left behind to patch.

Yup caught that, I meant hiding the plastic plug with whatever mounting.

Then yes patching the 1″ hole if the item is removed or relocated. Not something for the renter for sure. Though could create some paid jobs for me doing patches 🙂

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Not something for the renter for sure. Though could create some paid jobs for me doing patches

You mean renters Pay you to repair holes in their wall? Several years ago when I worked apartment maintenance, I would have sworn that they made a sport out of smashing up walls!

Jon P.
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

looks like an interesting concept. it would be worth a try. it would leave a big hole to patch later however.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

to big unless it’s for a permanent mount. Even then, if you are building new, you put backers in areas that are going to need them (towel racks, TV areas, ect.

I would be concerned with how proud it is off the wall and the sheer size of the thing. It’s going to be exposed with something as simple as a coat hook.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

25mm is quite a big hole.

What’s that in English?? 1 inch??

I meant hiding the plastic plug with whatever mounting.

Like a towel rod could be hard to hide it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

seems like a very interesting product, i wonder if they are available in Canada, i could definitely pick up a few and try them out when I have to install a few things in the basement.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Right on the money, Dirty.

I would almost have to say that the initial install kit should come with the proper sized hole saw, just so that the installer isn’t using an incorrect size and has issues with the plug fitting. I can see that happening.

I wonder how it would do on an older home with a double layer of plaster wall with only a 1″ space behind it? I still have a couple of original exterior walls that are original.
    @bethepro, Jim will the sponsor be chiming in to answer a few questions?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Right on the money, Dirty.

I would almost have to say that the initial install kit should come with the proper sized hols saw, just so that the installer isn’t using an incorrect size and has issues with the plug fitting. I can see that happening.

I wonder how it would do on an older home with a double layer of plaster wall with only a 1″ space behind it? I still have a couple of original exterior walls that are original.
    @bethepro, Jim will the sponsor be chiming in to answer a few questions?

doesn’t matter as I just looked to see where I can get them in Canada and nothing shows up on google. So right now I guess they are only available in the states.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

doesn’t matter as I just looked to see where I can get them in Canada and nothing shows up on google. So right now I guess they are only available in the states.

That’s not cool…about 1/2 of the BTP members are from Canada!

Jon P.
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

to big unless it’s for a permanent mount. Even then, if you are building new, you put backers in areas that are going to need them (towel racks, TV areas, ect.

I would be concerned with how proud it is off the wall and the sheer size of the thing. It’s going to be exposed with something as simple as a coat hook.

Doesn’t seem bad in the video, but for small lighter things it’s probably overkill anyway.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.494 seconds