dcsimg

New skilsaw metal cutting saws

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think a comparison test with my 14″ abrasive chop saw would be useful, as that’s been the standard for a lot of guys.

The difference with this type of saw is it cuts very clean cuts as use in metal fab work like to building roll cages for cars where the 2 miter cuts are welded and all is very clean.

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I think a comparison test with my 14″ abrasive chop saw would be useful, as that’s been the standard for a lot of guys.

The difference with this type of saw is it cuts very clean cuts as use in metal fab work like to building roll cages for cars where the 2 miter cuts are welded and all is very clean.

Yes, the cleanup quality is one of the biggest reasons I’ve been wanting a dry cut saw. I’ll probably time some cuts on stuff like 1 1/2″ angle and see the time difference and close ups of the finished cuts.

I’ve generally seen a notcher used for tube work, but patience and a grinder works if you don’t have one. I have done butt welds on sections of pre-bent stainless tube for motorcycle exhausts, but I used a band saw due to the curved shapes.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m sure some guys disagree, but I find unboxing videos largely worthless. They are all the same and contain nothing of value.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The dry cut saw showed up at my shop today, glad to see it!

First impression is a solid, high quality machine, and quite Bosch-like. I’ll update this when I get some cuts in, and will post the review I’m doing for Skilsaw also.

What brand of 14″ abrasive saw do you have to compare it with? Just curious as I’m going to do the same thing lol, Mine’s a Milwaukee

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

First impression is a solid, high quality machine, and quite Bosch-like. I’ll update this when I get some cuts in, and will post the review I’m doing for Skilsaw also.

What brand of 14″ abrasive saw do you have to compare it with? Just curious as I’m going to do the same thing lol, Mine’s a Milwaukee

Mine abrasive saw is just the Harbor Freight 15 amp one. I generally believe in buying the best tools available, but abrasive saws lead pretty terrible lives just sitting there grinding away endlessly. There’s not much to them besides the stamped steel bases and a motor with a blade on the end, so I can’t imagine there is a big difference between them as far as cut speed and quality goes.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

while i agree with you they are really simple tools. However there are some differences for sure. I have used black and decker, dewalt, makita, milwaukee and ridgid and even different models of some of those brands. I really like the makita the best but the dewalt is what Most companies pick up. This has to do with availability and actually being on the shelves at stores. Amazing as it may sound none of them are a perfect tool, each have their problems. For such a simple tool its amazing how NO innovation or thought seems to go into the design of new models. As mentioned a simple base with a blade that goes up and down. Thats it nothing complicated but they they all have blade wrench storage problems, all of them seem to have failures of the blade guard. I still dont think ive seen one with a good blade arm lock. Starting with the original chain on a hook to the plunger on the dewalt that vibrates to the lock position when you dont want it to.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes, the cleanup quality is one of the biggest reasons I’ve been wanting a dry cut saw. I’ll probably time some cuts on stuff like 1 1/2″ angle and see the time difference and close ups of the finished cuts.

I’ve generally seen a notcher used for tube work, but patience and a grinder works if you don’t have one. I have done butt welds on sections of pre-bent stainless tube for motorcycle exhausts, but I used a band saw due to the curved shapes.

Well I’m glad you have one to test out. At least you know what it’s all about.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Mine abrasive saw is just the Harbor Freight 15 amp one. I generally believe in buying the best tools available, but abrasive saws lead pretty terrible lives just sitting there grinding away endlessly. There’s not much to them besides the stamped steel bases and a motor with a blade on the end, so I can’t imagine there is a big difference between them as far as cut speed and quality goes.

why get the abrasive saw when you could’ve gotten the harbor freight band saw, wouldn’t the cuts be cleaner?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Amazing as it may sound none of them are a perfect tool, each have their problems.

Looking forward to your test on the saw Daniel.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Little demo of the bosch cordless metal saw as well as the skilsaw metal wormdrive posted here

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/general-metal-cutting-saw-discussion/

Little demo of the bosch cordless metal saw as well as the skilsaw metal wormdrive posted here

Thanks great job on the video, I went over and watched it

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks great job on the video, I went over and watched it

I going over now,,,

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

great idea to open a general metal cutting thread.
    I’ll check it out

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

As I said before; a big thanks to Skilsaw @Skil_Product_team ; Jim and BTP.
    The saw was packed up nice and sturdy in the box.
    Secured with styrofoam and cardboard that nothing moves during shipping
    Here all pictures I took after delivery:

photo 0613161513_zpsotdh9sa4.jpg
     photo 0613161515b_zpsc8dow7qk.jpg
     photo 0613161803_zpsf901xe22.jpg
     photo 0613161803a_zpsv6qagevy.jpg
     photo 0613161804_zpsffyv7wjs.jpg
     photo 0613161804a_zpscbepuvh5.jpg
     photo 0613161804b_zpsldk6te58.jpg
     photo 0613161805_zpsfsjfscss.jpg

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

@madman_us congrats on the saw Alex, will you be starting the trailer build soon, should help out with all the cutting,

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

congrats on the saw Alex, will you be starting the trailer build soon, should help out with all the cutting,

I gonna talk to him tonight over some BBQ and a few beer about that project.
    Not sure if he ordered the kit yet or not.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

congrats on the saw Alex, will you be starting the trailer build soon, should help out with all the cutting,

Man oh man I couldn’t wait on someone else’s project to use that beautiful new saw, If for nothing else I’d be cutting up good metal I have in my shop just to give it a whirl………… I’m glad the box it came in was satisfactory though lol

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Man oh man I couldn’t wait on someone else’s project to use that beautiful new saw, If for nothing else I’d be cutting up good metal I have in my shop just to give it a whirl………… I’m glad the box it came in was satisfactory though lol

Well I do work for him and I prefer to use my own tools.
    Otherwise he would do it with his HF chop saw.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Well I do work for him and I prefer to use my own tools.
    Otherwise he would do it with his HF chop saw.

Something tells me that the skilsaw will do a little better job than the HF one. I dont think you would have to do extensive testing to figure that out.

Arn’t most kits just bolt together?

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.250 seconds