dcsimg

New skilsaw metal cutting saws

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have the concrete fiber sidewinder, I posted it up in the “I got a box” thread a few weeks ago. Nice saw.

I must of missed that Chad. Nice to see this put and you have it and like it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I have the concrete fiber sidewinder, I posted it up in the “I got a box” thread a few weeks ago. Nice saw.

I missed you posting that Chad. I assume it is this saw here.

http://www.skilsaw.com/product-details#?product=140995

How’s the dust collection on it? I need to cut a bunch of Hardie this summer myself. I did get a CMT Hardie blade for my track saw already though.

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I’m testing the dry cut saw as well, looking forward to it. The fiber cement saw looks interesting, I’d like to be able to use it on wood as well due to the dust collection. I know the motor has been modified to handle the concrete dust, but I wasn’t able to determine if the RPM’s have been changed to something not suitable for wood.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

I would be very interested in trying the 12″ dry cut saw.

That’s the one that I was hoping to try out too. I figure that I could use it a lot at work for cutting unistrut and threaded rods.

I would be very interested in trying the 12″ dry cut saw.

That’s the one that I was hoping to try out too. I figure that I could use it a lot at work for cutting unistrut and threaded rods.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

I don’t cut a lot of unistrut, but the best things I’ve found to cut threaded rod is a portaband. I just got a m12 and it’s great. It cuts 3/4 rod fairly quick for its size, and you can hold it with one hand. However, I was selected to try out the 12″ cutoff so I’ll let you know if I change my mind.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

What would be the difference of using a regular circular saw with a metal blade . That is all I have ever used .

I was told to motor torque was different too. I’ve had a cold cut for a while, I’ve tried the blade from it on one of my old circ saw with less than impressive results.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I’m testing the dry cut saw as well, looking forward to it. The fiber cement saw looks interesting, I’d like to be able to use it on wood as well due to the dust collection. I know the motor has been modified to handle the concrete dust, but I wasn’t able to determine if the RPM’s have been changed to something not suitable for wood.

Thought they only had 2 of each available for the tool testing…
    Maybe they made a exception for BTP.
    grats to you Jon!

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I missed you posting that Chad. I assume it is this saw here.

http://www.skilsaw.com/product-details#?product=140995

How’s the dust collection on it? I need to cut a bunch of Hardie this summer myself. I did get a CMT Hardie blade for my track saw already though.

looks pretty good and will be perfect for your hardieboard install this summer kevin

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thought they only had 2 of each available for the tool testing…
    Maybe they made a exception for BTP.
    grats to you Jon!

Maybe I didn’t make the cut then. Got an email from Jim yesterday but I never got any confirmation from the people at skilsaw.

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I read that there were two saws of each type available too, but perhaps there were enough different materials being tested that they decided to send more.

Sorry if you didn’t get selected kswiss, perhaps there are issues or costs related to shipping it to Canada.

Their outlaw worm drive saw would be great if you worked with a lot of sheet steel or larger box tube where it is easier to take the saw to the work than vise versa. Skilsaw has a lot of really nice looking products out lately. Their worm drive table saw looks intriguing for the 3 1/2″ rip capacity and its portability.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I read that there were two saws of each type available too, but perhaps there were enough different materials being tested that they decided to send more.

Sorry if you didn’t get selected kswiss, perhaps there are issues or costs related to shipping it to Canada.

Their outlaw worm drive saw would be great if you worked with a lot of sheet steel or larger box tube where it is easier to take the saw to the work than vise versa. Skilsaw has a lot of really nice looking products out lately. Their worm drive table saw looks intriguing for the 3 1/2″ rip capacity and its portability.

i think skilsaw is really trying hard to change their look and how people received them. maybe they are tired of the rep they were getting and no are making pro pieces once again.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

i think skilsaw is really trying hard to change their look and how people received them.

The Skilsaw name is widely recognized. The prior ownership had taken the brand down market to the DIYer using the name as the hook. Unfortuantely quality suffered along with their rep. Bosch is taking back up to the Pro level.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

i think skilsaw is really trying hard to change their look and how people received them.

The Skilsaw name is widely recognized. The prior ownership had taken the brand down market to the DIYer using the name as the hook. Unfortuantely quality suffered along with their rep. Bosch is taking back up to the Pro level.

They are definitely trying to get back into the game. Just hope it wasn’t to late for the brand. Lot’s of people will still think of them as being a lower end tool.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

Maybe I didn’t make the cut then.

Don’t expect a reply today as it is a holiday in the US. Fingers crossed you get a test unit Kyle.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Maybe I didn’t make the cut then. Got an email from Jim yesterday but I never got any confirmation from the people at skilsaw.

stay positive. they might were busy before the long weekend and were just happy to get out of the office.
    It might take them longer to figure out a way how to get the saw to you wihtout getting problems at the border or so.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

They are definitely trying to get back into the game. Just hope it wasn’t to late for the brand. Lot’s of people will still think of them as being a lower end tool.

The tools that skilsaw/bosch are pumping out these days definitely look a lot more for the pro sector than DYI’r.
    I see that in a circ saw I have had for a while compared to what they are producing today. A lot less plastic in the manufacturing of the saw.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Very good point Bill,

@kswiss
    congrats Kyle I’m sure you will put that saw to good use.

@Jpg-woodworking
    congrats also, looking forward to seeing what you think of the saw.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

congrats Kyle I’m sure you will put that saw to good use.

Lol we’ll see if it ends up coming, I’m sure we’ll get some good reviews either way.

Doobie

I have a feeling that with the extra work involved with cross border shipping paperwork that may be excluding us Canadians from being testers.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think Skil is very late with this one. Hawaii lead the nation in steel home building with many thousands of military homes built in the last 15 years, At that time there was a lot of new innovations that came out like the steel cutting blade and the wagner (Lox drive system) screw.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.252 seconds