dcsimg

new Milwaukee M18 fuel surge hydraulic impact driver

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Saw the Workshop Addict review and they used the decibel meter app on their phone to measure it, it wasn’t actually “quieter” if that was an objective measurement since it was around 80db give or take like the impact driver. I don’t know if they measured the Makita or the Ridgid with the same phone at the same location but I remember other videos of the Makita and Ridgid being less prominent with the sound of operation. Toolcraze on Youtube used a decibel meter and compared the Ridgid oil impulse vs a Ridgid impact and it was almost 10 decibels of difference between the two. Hypothetically the Milwaukee should of been like that too…

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

It looks good but 10% less power than the regular Milwaukee fuel impact

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been using the Makita hydraulic impact driver for over a year now. I love the soft impact! it looks like Milwaukee is playing catch up again.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i wouldnt exactly say milwaukee is playing catchup again.. they have come out with plenty of new tech which makita lags behind on. the brushless circ saws for one.. recip saws.. higher amperage batteries

the surge impact does look good, i dont know if its because of the hydraulic fluid inside or what but it looks like its faster too at driving large fasteners.. i know the ridgid version didnt get very good reviews as it was noticably slower and less powerful. i cant say about ryobi . i cant say from personal experience as none of these impacts are available locally, and im not a fan of buying power tools online unless i have atleast had a chance to see it up close first

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

it looks like Milwaukee is playing catch up again.

First time for everything I guess?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

it looks like Milwaukee is playing catch up again.

First time for everything I guess?

oh? Makita had a full line of battery tools on the market many years before Milwaukee even considered it.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

it from Concord Carpenter, looks amazing

It does look like a nice little impact.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

yes makita had cordless well before.. but milwaukee is a step ahead right now with their cordless tool tech. i use both brands and im more impressed overall with what milwaukee has been putting out

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I saw this and it looks nice – supposed to have less vibration too. I also have been looking at the right angle impact, which looks like a great tool for tight spots. Cannot find it locally to test fit and feel and balance, though. This technology looks like the next best thing. I only hope Bosch comes out with something similar so that I can avoid yet another battery platform.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

yes makita had cordless well before.. but milwaukee is a step ahead right now with their cordless tool tech. i use both brands and im more impressed overall with what milwaukee has been putting out

what is it that impresses you the most with the red tools? Ive been loving my soft impact for over a year now. I see TTI been testing the idea with the Rigid brand for about the last year.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve been using the Makita hydraulic impact driver for over a year now. I love the soft impact! it looks like Milwaukee is playing catch up again.

I remember when you got it. The noise reduction is great. I will say Makita has a nice line of tools and they bring innovation to the market quickly.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

So, everywhere I look, the torque rating for the surge is only 450 I pounds…. That’s not just 10% loss, that’s more like 70%. I got all excited about it when I first heard about it, but actually looking at this spec (not listed on Milwaukee’s situe, btw) makes me think it’s mostly a gimmic, not something for anyone who needs to do any kind of heavy lifting with an impact.

Charlie

Instagram

So, everywhere I look, the torque rating for the surge is only 450 I pounds…. That’s not just 10% loss, that’s more like 70%. I got all excited about it when I first heard about it, but actually looking at this spec (not listed on Milwaukee’s situe, btw) makes me think it’s mostly a gimmic, not something for anyone who needs to do any kind of heavy lifting with an impact.

Yeah, like they said in the reviews, it’s not going to replace the impacts now, it’s more for finer finish work, but it has great spead for certain screws and small lags, plus it’s compact and supposedly less noisier,
    Plus the torque is more constant,
    Would be nice to see eventually somebody will do a comparison with all the oily impact drivers

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

From all the videos I saw it doesn’t seem like it’s that much quieter. But that’s not the only advantage. It’s less vibration through the user and even though on paper it’s less torque the way it delivers that torque is more constant. Impacts have a quick hit but because the surge uses expanding hydrolics it has pressure on it for q longer duration.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@boschmanbrian @austin, hmm, I’d be interested to see it in person. It sounds like a lot of hype. But I’m not someone who would ever need a gentle, quiet impact. My DeWalt and Bosch 18V impacts are perfect for my needs.

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@boschmanbrian @austin, hmm, I’d be interested to see it in person. It sounds like a lot of hype. But I’m not someone who would ever need a gentle, quiet impact. My DeWalt and Bosch 18V impacts are perfect for my needs.

I have 2 18v impacts now and like having both. If I invest in more Milwaukee stuff I will probably get this with the one key fuel. I wonder if they will make a one key version. I would think the hydrolic you would be able to dial in the torque

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

But I’m not someone who would ever need a gentle, quiet impact.

Do you ever install cabinets???

I saw it from Concord Carpenter, looks amazing

http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/hydraulic-driver/milwaukee-m18-fuel-surge-hydraulic-driver/

It does look nice, just don’t want to get red as well. But it’s a nice review

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.300 seconds