dcsimg

New contractor, seeking advice on how to bid commercial/multi-fam. projects

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone, I recently graduated school and have decided to pursue a career as an estimator. My boss asked me to review a few jobs we received and make sure we have all the information we need in order to make a bid.

I’m a bit overwhelmed, so could some of the pros here give me a few pointers in how to review the job below and let me know if there’s anything missing that you’d need to submit a bid? Thank you so much!

Title: Restoring Door for Commercial Client

Scope:

For both inside and outside of the door:
    – Stripping all coatings
    – Repair scratches
    – Restore to gold finish
    – Applying clear lacquer

Full bid with photos is attached!

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Every estimator I’ve ever known was one of the oldest guys in the company.

The only way to be a good estimator, is to have an extreme amount of knowledge and experience. And that takes time.

You’re not going to learn that going to school.

If your boss wants to put you into that role with no experience, that’s his business. Not something I would ever do.

About this project: Are you repairing these doors in situ? Or will you uninstall them? Have you ever finished a door in place? It’s a bitch. And then your finish gets messed up at night when you have to close the doors.

If your take the doors down, will you supply a temp door? Do you have a place to work on them, or will it be on site?

Replacing hardware?

Did you add time to tape off all that glass?

Do you know how long it will take to “sand with various grades” to restore that door? Do you have a better scope of work? Because your description leaves a LOT of room for interpretation. You think it’s a great job, but customer thinks it “should’ve been a lot better”.

Seen it happen.

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How to figure your pricing???
    L+M+O+P = estimate
    Labor+
    Material+
    Overhead+
    Profit=
    It looks a lot easier than it is,, You will take some good hits before you get it right.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The only way to be a good estimator, is to have an extreme amount of knowledge and experience. And that takes time.

L+M+O+P = estimate
    Labor+
    Material+
    Overhead+
    Profit=

Both guys are right on the money. the trick is planioing for wht you don’t see or don’t know yet.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.506 seconds