dcsimg

New Bosch OSC114C Oscillating Multi-Tool Carbide Blade Review

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Sorry It has taken me so long to post my review. I just got home and things are nuts, I have been a little overwhelmed in the last few weeks. The flood gates have opened up and contracts are coming in on a daily basis.

I had to laugh today when I turned on my multitool, the home owner came out and said it sounded like I was using a router to cut in a few vents. He had never seen one and was amazed at what it could do.

I have always ran into problems with a finding a good way to cut some specific building materials. Joist Hanger nails have always been a issue, not for this blade. It cut pretty quickly and I was able to reuse the Joist hanger, which I would never be able to do with a recip saw.

The other material that always gives me a issue is tile. I was able to make it through a few tiles, but the action of the multi tool is not ideal for cutting tile. To much Vibration.

The material that I found it excelled at cutting was pvc pipe. I have always ran into issues when you needed to make a surgical cut on PVC, there was no way to do it. A recip saw would tear the pipe, a hand saw is difficult to fit into tight spaces, and a regular multi tool blade would melt the pipe, and not leave a clean cut. This blade, was great on PVC, the cuts were quick, clean, and precise.

After this I started to cut some Metal, I cut the straps off some pre cast piers. I cut a metal folding chair in half. I cut a titanium golf club, and a small steel I beam. (I have pics but they are on my camera, which is in my truck so I will post them tomorrow)

• Do you think these blades could replace a reciprocating saw blade or band saw blade to cut pipes and screws in small spaces?

The key word there is in small places, in small spaces is where this tool excels and this blade makes quick work of screws and small pipes

• What specifically did you cut (i.e. hardwoods, nails and screws, stainless steel bolts, cast iron pipe, galvanized steel pipe, plaster and lathe, cement board, fiber board, sheet metal, wall, tile, other) with this carbide blade and how did it compare (in terms of speed, strength, versatility, etc.) to other OMT blades and even non-OMT blades/saws?

I was able to cut most everything I could think of, I did not cut much wood, as I figured this is what the wood blades are for. All kinds of metal this blade was able to cut. I would be interested in trying it in cement board, I used to run regular blades and jig saw blades, but the would get destroyed very quickly

• Do you have the need for a wider blade? How wide? What applications would you use a wider blade for?

Wider blades would only be helpful, if you could use them to cut multiple screws or nails at once, not many people reach for their multitool when they want to demo a room.

• Do you have the need for a longer blade? How long? What applications would you use a longer blade for?
    I think a longer blade would be great, a few applications I would use them for are cutting nails in joined lumber, and plunge cuts in dimensional lumber. I also feel they would be a big help in plumbing work, this way you could cut through a pipe from one side instead of cutting and rotating.

redwood
    Pro

Brian said “I would be interested in trying it in cement board, I used to run regular blades and jig saw blades, but the would get destroyed very quickly”

Brian, I tried it in fiber cement board and it was much better then even the jig saw blades designed for fiber cement boards. I have no doubt that it will cut notches in cement board. What I don’t know is how long the blade will last.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Great review Brian. I was hoping somebody would destroy a golf club with it 🙂

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Cant wait to see the pics Brian, curious what part of the golf club you tried to cut.

I have been using mine in a Fein multi master to cut wood only. One thing I have noticed it doesn’t burn the wood like the other brands do. I used the Fein brand to cut to holes in a plaster and lath wall for outlet boxes. I could not believe the plaster ate up the teeth on that blade. Ground the teeth flat. I guess I can use the blade for a scraper now. I am a little wary about ruining the Bosch blade on a plaster and lath wall. A razor knife is a little cheaper.

I don’t know if I would use my Fein oscillating tool for demolition

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have ours on aboutvevery remodel. It is amazing the uses you find. If there is not a lot of cuts, it is the most versitile tool we have. Instead of hauling in several tols we can take in just one and a few different blades. My guys use it guite regulary.

Kurt – are you referring to this blade or multi tools in general?

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

So who won most unique cut?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Good reviews guys ! I hurt my back and have been down for the count. I’m up and moving so that’s a good thing, hopefully I’ll be able to put the blade to the test this week

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Multi tools in general. When I first saw them them, I thought they were a toy. After seeing them in action and owning one myself, it seems like we find a new use all the time.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

John, I look forward to trying this blade. As blades get better we will only find more uses fot the multi tools.

It is amazing how many applications that multi tools can be used for – somebody ought to come up with 101 ways to use them!

John S

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

It is amazing how many applications that multi tools can be used for – somebody ought to come up with 101 ways to use them!

That’s a great idea, John!

We are going to be running a promotion in the near future asking what you all use your oscillating tool for, and in return we will give away OMT accessory prize packages.

Be on the look out.

Aaron

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

John S.,

You are correct. I bought mine for one task and now it seems like I come up with new use almost everyday. My thought is now How did I ever manage with out it.

Love it Aaron! I was just hoping to see if we could glean from the collective wisdom here on BTP for new ways to use our OMTs… No complaints that in the process we might get another blade to tackle those new tasks!!

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

John S wrote:Great review Brian. I was hoping somebody would destroy a golf club with it

LOL, I found out golf clubs destroy really easy, I snapped a driver last year and no, I’m not one of those golfers with a temper Hahaha. It had a graphite shaft and I drove up under a tree with it sticking out of the bag too high, It caught a limb and snapped it in half LOL. Luckily, The unconditional replacement insurance policy I paid extra for when I bought it covered it, They paid $150 No questions asked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Charles wrote:Good reviews guys ! I hurt my back and have been down for the count. I’m up and moving so that’s a good thing, hopefully I’ll be able to put the blade to the test this week

Sorry about your back Charles, I know all too well about back issues. Don’t worry about the review, It can wait. Take care of yourself first

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Boyd wrote:

Charles wrote:Good reviews guys ! I hurt my back and have been down for the count. I’m up and moving so that’s a good thing, hopefully I’ll be able to put the blade to the test this week

Sorry about your back Charles, I know all too well about back issues. Don’t worry about the review, It can wait. Take care of yourself first

Thanks Boyd… been dealing with back problems for years. I’m real careful, but every now and then I seem to do something that my back doesn’t like… and I pay for it !!

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

I want to say congratulations to Nick who won the contest for the best picture and unique cut with the padlock. He will receive the OSC138V later this week or early next week.

Even though the contest has ended, please continue to share your experiences with the Bosch multi-tool carbide blade. You all have definitely put it to work with your projects.

Aaron

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.620 seconds