dcsimg

New Bosch Colt Router Model

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 812 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@montreal_woodworks, understand your issues with the blow molded case. I have a stack of them in the shop attic – completely gave up on trying to fit things back into them.

I hear that! I, too have a stack of cases which will likely never be used again. The blow molded cases are a huge waste of space IMO.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

So, I got a little bit of time to use the router yesterday. It is a nice update.

It really does feel less like a palm router and more like a mini-fullsize. Sort of the halfway between my old colts and my 1617s. I had a bunch of templates to follow and a few roundovers. Also had a lot of plunge cuts to do, so the lack of a plunge base was notable.

For the template following, I made a mistake at one point, and it resulted in the wood grain catching and snapping. Could have been bad, but the new colt is so comfortable in the hand and easy to hold that it was nothing beyond annoyance at ruining a piece. When that last happened to me with a 1617, it was a lot harder to control through the moment.

As for height adjustment, it is a LOT easier than the other routers I have.

My biggest complaint so far really is that there is no plunge. I don’t really need the extra power over the 18v Makita for a simple roundover, so I would be more inclined to reach for that frankly. This would shine for fine plunge/inlay work. The old colt was a monster for that, even if it had issues with some woods at some depths. I would expect this one to have all the advantages of the old colt plus the extra power it is lacking.

Doobie

@montreal_woodworks, understand your issues with the blow molded case. I have a stack of them in the shop attic – completely gave up on trying to fit things back into them.

I hear that! I, too have a stack of cases which will likely never be used again. The blow molded cases are a huge waste of space IMO.

I just dropped off an old Milwaukee drill and its blowmold case at the Variety Village donation drop off this weekend. Felt good getting rid of it. There was one semi-good NiCad battery left in it, I iust didn’t want this drill any longer.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Eric,
    Great review with some good info. As for the tear-out situation – you are saying that it was a minor tear-out, or that the ergonomics of the router body made it easy to control?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Eric,
    Great review with some good info. As for the tear-out situation – you are saying that it was a minor tear-out, or that the ergonomics of the router body made it easy to control?

I’m saying that, due to an error on my part, the maple workpiece lost a good chunk of itself that went across the room, and the router jumped. But since it is a wee little thing, it was easy to keep it from going too far or being very dangerous. Nice and easy to control

My Menards has 4 in stock and on sale for 119. If I didn’t want the 12v cordless so much I might pick one up.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My Menards has 4 in stock and on sale for 119. If I didn’t want the 12v cordless so much I might pick one up.

Wow that’s a good price, but i like you will wait for the 12V model to come out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

So, I got a little bit of time to use the router yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback Eric.

My biggest complaint so far really is that there is no plunge.

I asked one of the sales guys on the phone at Outils Berger who carries it now and he said he had no word on when it was coming out. Is that where you got yours Eric?

So, I got a little bit of time to use the router yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback Eric.

My biggest complaint so far really is that there is no plunge.

I asked one of the sales guys on the phone at Outils Berger who carries it now and he said he had no word on when it was coming out. Is that where you got yours Eric?

I got word from Bosch over social media that the plunge should be out early 2018.

I got mine from Bosch Canada as a demo model. Doing up a review for them now, but I thought I would share my initial impressions here.

Spent another couple of hours yesterday with it, doing roundovers on maple. I was able to do the full 1/2 profile on one pass and it seemed to rev up to keep up. I am a real big fan of this tool

I now really feel like they took the 1617 and made it more compact. It feels like the same power level, but easy to hold and control with one hand. This is a winner.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So, I got a little bit of time to use the router yesterday. It is a nice update.

It really does feel less like a palm router and more like a mini-fullsize. Sort of the halfway between my old colts and my 1617s. I had a bunch of templates to follow and a few roundovers. Also had a lot of plunge cuts to do, so the lack of a plunge base was notable.

For the template following, I made a mistake at one point, and it resulted in the wood grain catching and snapping. Could have been bad, but the new colt is so comfortable in the hand and easy to hold that it was nothing beyond annoyance at ruining a piece. When that last happened to me with a 1617, it was a lot harder to control through the moment.

My biggest complaint so far really is that there is no plunge. I don’t really need the extra power over the 18v Makita for a simple roundover, so I would be more inclined to reach for that frankly. This would shine for fine plunge/inlay work. The old colt was a monster for that, even if it had issues with some woods at some depths. I would expect this one to have all the advantages of the old colt plus the extra power it is lacking.

Thanks for the feedback, Eric, it looks like I will be waiting for the plunge base as well.

I’m encouraged by the comments on adjustability and ease of handling; seems to be an improved version.

Thanks for the feedback, Eric, it looks like I will be waiting for the plunge base as well.

I’m encouraged by the comments on adjustability and ease of handling; seems to be an improved version.

The moment it shows up for sale, I will be ordering the plunge. I swear they found a way to put the 1617 into a colt body. 1.25 hp is understated. This thing is big power in a small body. I understand why it’s corded. The cordless are good, and have enough power for most things, but this is a compact sized beast

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Eric,

I’m saying that, due to an error on my part, the maple workpiece lost a good chunk of itself that went across the room, and the router jumped. But since it is a wee little thing, it was easy to keep it from going too far or being very dangerous. Nice and easy to control

Great info, thanks much.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Sounds like a great tool so far! I have a Colt that I’ve had for years, would love to upgrade but will probably wait till the plunge is available.

Eric – do you have any pics of the old Colt and the new one and specifically the bottom of the new one?

Thanks!

Orange County, CA

Eric – do you have any pics of the old Colt and the new one and specifically the bottom of the new one?

Thanks!

What part is the “bottom”? Happy to take a shot. You mean the bottom when in use or when changing a bit?

Thanks!

What part is the “bottom”? Happy to take a shot. You mean the bottom when in use or when changing a bit?

Perfect! Thank you! The second to last image is what I was after. Trying to see if dust collection could be added to this router.

Orange County, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

The moment it shows up for sale, I will be ordering the plunge. I swear they found a way to put the 1617 into a colt body. 1.25 hp is understated. This thing is big power in a small body. I understand why it’s corded. The cordless are good, and have enough power for most things, but this is a compact sized beast

I totally agree with you eric. I used mine today again for a project at my neighbor’s house at it’s just WOW.
    I’ll get the plunge as well. shoulb become available in Q2 and hopefully some DC as well.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I totally agree with you eric. I used mine today again for a project at my neighbor’s house at it’s just WOW.
    I’ll get the plunge as well. shoulb become available in Q2 and hopefully some DC as well.

The first impressions seem really positive. I like the idea of more power in a compact package. It’s going on my list but I will wait for the plunge base as well.

Ok you goofballs….

Have had multiple discussions / meetings on the plunge base in the past couple days. It’s moving along.

So, talk to me. Those of you who have the dust collection for the PR20 Colt plunge base. What do you like, what do you not like? What do we need to fix? What is perfect, if anything? What would be a must have feature or what don’t you care about.

The new plunge base is heavily based on the old plunge base, so we are going to be playing around that geometry. We are making decisions now, so get your thoughts in.

Now of course, standard disclosure, I cannot incorporate every idea I read here for obvious reasons, but every single comment is important. This is your chance to have direct input, so lets hear it.

What I think, is that you all should run out to the store and get the new Colt now. This will give you a chance to practice before the plunge comes out. Another thought, (this post could go on forever), do you want a blow molded case for the fixed base / plunge base combo kit or is that going straight to the landfill with the other case?

And finally, what Bosch Power Tool will you be using to prepare the turkey with?

Dadgineer
    Project Leader - Bosch Power Tools North America

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 812 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.036 seconds