dcsimg

New Bosch Colt Router Model

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 812 total)
  • Author
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

@reflector I got the track saw 110v from uk with lboxx it’s a premium saw I have bunch of others but this one you can tell it’s made in germany

i was thinking about dropping some money for the CCS180.
    but why not going straight to the track saw 😀

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

redwood
    Pro

I have a older Colt and a newer DeWalt palm router, and I have to say, I much prefer the DeWalt. A new bosch model has been needed for a while now.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

I have a older Colt and a newer DeWalt palm router, and I have to say, I much prefer the DeWalt. A new bosch model has been needed for a while now.

Having used neitheir myself, what is it that you prefer the Dewalt Mark?

redwood
    Pro

Pretty much everything. The DeWalt is a kit that included all the bases and pretty much works just like a normal full size router, but in a much smaller package. It felt better, it has better control, a little more powerful and adjustment to bit height are better. But it still only has a 1/4″ collet. The Bosch colt I had was probably 15 years old, and was great, but their competitors had time to improve upon it, while Bosch did not, until they added the plunge base. That wasn’t enough in my mind.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

Pretty much everything. The DeWalt is a kit that included all the bases and pretty much works just like a normal full size router, but in a much smaller package. It felt better, it has better control, a little more powerful and adjustment to bit height are better. But it still only has a 1/4″ collet. The Bosch colt I had was probably 15 years old, and was great, but their competitors had time to improve upon it, while Bosch did not, until they added the plunge base. That wasn’t enough in my mind.

I’ve never compared the two in any manner. Frankly, I’m a very hesitant fan of Dewalt products for a variety of reasons. But it does sound in this case this is one item that for years they had a better product by your account than the one Bosch had been offering. Thanks for bringing it up Mark.

I will take a look at how the new one from Bosch compares to the Dewalt now maybe more than comparing it to its own older brother when it comes out as well. I want another small router in the shop, just may be the time to finally get one.

I’ve always wanted a Colt to my router army, but just never pulled the trigger on one. It’s one of my only befuddling to me non-acquisition items over time. It’s not like they cost an arm and a leg. It has just never happened. I always thought I’d pick one up at a sweet deal price which has just never happened for me. Obviously the Colt for me falls into the category of ‘want’ not ‘need’ and is predicated on having something sweeten the pot to get on board with one.

redwood
    Pro

@doobie

Kevin, believe me when I say I am not a huge DeWalt fan. It’s been about 50/50 of disappointment and exhilaration. I’ve had good luck with their table saws, power planer, and even their sliding compound miter saw (which I no longer own). I was extremely disappointed with their larger router, recip saw, jig saw, and their make believe worm drive like circ saw. I got the DeWalt compact router when I decided I had enough of the colt. It got very good reviews at the time and had features the Colt did not. And I got it on sale. I’ve had it long enough and used it enough to give it my thumbs up.

I would venture to say that I use the compact(palm) router, more then all the rest of my routers combined. Pretty much exclusively for edge work.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

very nice.. good to see a new version. if memory serves correct the colt made its debut 10 years ago. i like the idea of the light and the round base.. hopefully its not gonna be a huge trim router like the dewalt one

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Well I can tell you if I do another flooring job for any relatives or anything like that I will definitely buy a bosch colt so I don’t have to use the jigsaw for the vent

edit: voice to text changed my bosch colt to box cold. lol

woodman_412

Nice to see that they came out with a new version. Looks like some good upgrades in features. I’ve used the current Colt before but don’t own one. I think if this one becomes available I would be tempted to get one.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

@doobie

Kevin, believe me when I say I am not a huge DeWalt fan. It’s been about 50/50 of disappointment and exhilaration. I’ve had good luck with their table saws, power planer, and even their sliding compound miter saw (which I no longer own). I was extremely disappointed with their larger router, recip saw, jig saw, and their make believe worm drive like circ saw.

I never got as far into Dewalt than you have. I just simply heard and read so much of what others would write about their products that it sent little red warning flags off in my head long ago.

I felt they had ‘line confusion’ issues for me. You didn’t know whether a drill or a saw was one of their good ones or one of their crappy ones. Just felt it was best to avoid their products altogether unless I would read overwhelmingly that a certain model of theirs was outstanding in its class.

One example of this was buying their wet tile saw which I did acquire months ago but have yet to unpack and use actually. It has nothing but glowing reviews and the fact that it is used by tool rental places in large numbers speaks for itself as well imo. Feel pretty comfortable that that was a good decision.

A couple of years ago, I bought one of their slider miter saws for what seemed like a good sale price. Took it out of the box and found it was really cheaply made and the price on it was what it was really worth and I wasn’t saving anything really for what POS it was. I repacked it and returned it almost immediately.

There’s also something that sits in the back of my mind about them being the same manufacturer as Black and Decker. I figure the poor quality ‘trickles up’ with a company like that, and that concerns me.

The larger motor and LED addition is what we were asking for a couple years ago when we talked about the current Colt model. It is nice to see they listened and produced. I want/need a smaller router for edge work and trimming. I kept looking at the Dewalt but held off hoping for this to come out. Glad I waited now. Hoping for a plunge base too.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I wonder if it’s fatter with the larger motor though, what I like about the current colt is the super compact size.

redwood
    Pro

The Dewalt is definitely bigger then the old colt, but still quite manageable with one hand. It also helps that the base is a little larger, as well.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A new bosch model has been needed for a while now.

I have not used the old colt but it did have a bad wrap around here from what others have said about it. The redesign was needed.

I am looking forward to seeing this when it is released. Not available anywhere yet – just pre-orders.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@reflector I got the track saw 110v from uk with lboxx it’s a premium saw I have bunch of others but this one you can tell it’s made in germany

These are two different saw for 2 different uses.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

These are two different saw for 2 different uses.

im aware of that

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

@madman_us
    I’d take the CCS180 first since you can kind of make a track saw conversion using the jigsaw parallel guide (Just don’t tilt the blade and cut away, you’ll need to adjust for that). Otherwise you’ve got the option of getting the GKT 55 or the Mafell MT55 (I’m personally saving up for this) afterwards. Or if they could actually take any of the existing track compatible saws in Europe and make them in a 110V version that’d be appealing too (The GKS ## G… series. The G at the end indicates they’ll ride on the rails and also tilt on them with the offset to avoid cutting into the antisplinter guard).

@madman_us
    I’d take the CCS180 first since you can kind of make a track saw conversion using the jigsaw parallel guide (Just don’t tilt the blade and cut away, you’ll need to adjust for that). Otherwise you’ve got the option of getting the GKT 55 or the Mafell MT55 (I’m personally saving up for this) afterwards. Or if they could actually take any of the existing track compatible saws in Europe and make them in a 110V version that’d be appealing too (The GKS ## G… series. The G at the end indicates they’ll ride on the rails and also tilt on them with the offset to avoid cutting into the antisplinter guard).

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/f_aDCyFk9oc?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Or you could just use the FSN 70/140 rail with the CCS180. Pretty close to a track saw, especially if you add the dust collection port. Just missing plunge and zero clearance really

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/track-for-bosch-18v-saw/page/3/#post-417552

I’d still give the CCS180 a chance on the newer FSN rails since they have the self alignment and they’re actively supported (NAINA for either rail)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 812 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.027 seconds