dcsimg

New Bosch Colt Router Model

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 812 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I gave all my old router bits to my son with the old router. I just kept the 1/2″ Bosch ones for the 1617 so I am in need of a new collection, whatever the colt comes with is what I will go for, so I am not stressed about it. It would be nice to see a kit with 2 bases, fixed and plunge, come on the redemption list, perhaps some other accessories too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Looks what made it to the website 😛

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/palm-routers-gkf125cen-193841-p/

as for the router.. i highly doubt teh new colt will have componenets compatible with teh old…

I don’t believe so. I just looked at the owners manual and for example, the plunge base for the new router is a PR111 whereas the one listed for the old one is a PR011.

What I’d like to know is if you can import the 8mm collet retainer and nut from Europe and affix it on the shaft of the NA model that comes with a quarter inch collet setup. The owners manual makes no mention of whether the NA new Colt can accept an 8mm collet.

Yes…an 8mm collet would be HUGE. I hope this is a possibility.

For me, I have just a few quarter inch bits, but lots of 8mm ones. Some of my 8mm bits are speciality profiles from Festool that I use a lot at times.

Lee Valley now makes most of their bits in 8mm sizes also since they became a major Festool retailer here in Canada and I like the quality of their router bits. I’ve just always sought half inch or 8mm bits, that is one of the reasons I want to know if I can get the new Colt set up for 8mm bits.

What I was hoping is that the only difference in the Euro new Colt, which does accept 8mm bits, is that it is simply the collet flange and the nut that is different and if I could get those to fit the new NA Colt. I just don’t know if the spindle size or threading on the Euro model is different from the NA model, Nobody so far seems to know this.

I am in the same position as you – I have tons of 8mm bits and lots of 1/2 inch and not many 1/4 inch. I suppose I can invest in 1/4 inch in the things I need most or would want to use in this router. I have the older Colt and the 1/4 inch bits I have used for it is the limit of my collection – so just a couple of roundovers, trim bit, a couple of straights and maybe a profile or two. Not much.

Orange County, CA

Hello all,
    Thought I would jump in. I suppose I should head on over to the “introduce yourself” thread, but I was the project manager for this router. I have been on it since day one. So….

What you want to know? Fire away.

After working on this project for years, I am also curious to hear about people’s thoughts, good and bad on this router.

Dadgineer
    Project Leader - Bosch Power Tools North America

Hello all,
    Thought I would jump in. I suppose I should head on over to the “introduce yourself” thread, but I was the project manager for this router. I have been on it since day one. So….

After working on this project for years, I am also curious to hear about people’s thoughts, good and bad on this router.

Welcome to a fellow PM!

Why isn’t it launching with a plunge base? Why not backwards compatible with old accessories? Is the 8mm collet on the euro version compatible? Why no battery version? Why the delay from when it first got scraped by some vendors?

Hello all,

Welcome to BTP,
    Great to get to hear from someone who was part of making a great router
    I personally don’t own that little router, but I have only heard great things about it
    , it’s definitely one of the tools on my list.
    Any news if Bosch will be deciding to make a cordless 😉

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Hello all,

Welcome aboard!
    I just have one quick question on the depth of cut adjustment. Is there much variance in depth of cut when setting the locking clamp from the middle position to the locked position? (i.e. Once the desired depth is adjusted with the knurled wheel, does the bit move at all when the locking clamp is set to locked).
    Thanks much.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Ok, let me address this one by one…

Why isn’t it launching with a plunge base?
    Patience… Soon….

Why not backwards compatible with old accessories?
    Which accessories are you referring to. We did our best to make it as compatible as we could with most of them.

Is the 8mm collet on the euro version compatible?
    The motor shaft was designed to be the same across the world. This subject is a current open topic. We understand what the customer wants, you want 8mm along with 1/4″. We are working through some issues. Not sure of the outcome yet.

Why no battery version?
    Good question. There is one coming, soon… I believe you can find it out there. Question for you. Why? I am curious as to what applications you see using a cordless tool for. Agree that the future is cordless, but for me personally, I think I would always stick with a corded version of a router. Would you expect a cordless to be a direct replacement for your current routers or are you thinking like simple round over work that is not heavy cutting?

Why the delay from when it first got scraped by some vendors?
    There were some issues that needed resolving. We set the bar high for quality and it took time. For obvious reasons, I can’t get into details, but the tool is now a nice little monster as a result.

Dadgineer

Ah Stan, what a spectacular question.

” Is there much variance in depth of cut when setting the locking clamp from the middle position to the locked position?”

This was actually a requirement. Going from adjust mode, into lock mode, there cannot be any movement! Marketing was very adamant about that. So, no, no movement at all.

The way the design works is pretty cool in that the adjustment is part of the lock. So once it is set, the lock essentially clamps down on to the adjustment and it becomes solid.

Dadgineer

Ah Stan, what a spectacular question.

” Is there much variance in depth of cut when setting the locking clamp from the middle position to the locked position?”

This was actually a requirement. Going from adjust mode, into lock mode, there cannot be any movement! Marketing was very adamant about that. So, no, no movement at all.

The way the design works is pretty cool in that the adjustment is part of the lock. So once it is set, the lock essentially clamps down on to the adjustment and it becomes solid.

Glad to hear! As soon as I read it, I kicked myself for not asking that one first

Ok, let me address this one by one…

Patience… Soon….

Why not backwards compatible with old accessories?
    Which accessories are you referring to. We did our best to make it as compatible as we could with most of them.

Is the 8mm collet on the euro version compatible?
    The motor shaft was designed to be the same across the world. This subject is a current open topic. We understand what the customer wants, you want 8mm along with 1/4″. We are working through some issues. Not sure of the outcome yet.

Why no battery version?
    Good question. There is one coming, soon… I believe you can find it out there. Question for you. Why? I am curious as to what applications you see using a cordless tool for. Agree that the future is cordless, but for me personally, I think I would always stick with a corded version of a router. Would you expect a cordless to be a direct replacement for your current routers or are you thinking like simple round over work that is not heavy cutting?

Why the delay from when it first got scraped by some vendors?
    There were some issues that needed resolving. We set the bar high for quality and it took time. For obvious reasons, I can’t get into details, but the tool is now a nice little monster as a result.

Makes sense

For me, with the new 20700 and 21700 cell batteries, I would consider a full replacement for a compact router. I have the Makita with both fixed and plunge bases, and find it great for lots of things.

For me – and I know a single user is anecdote rather than data – I either want to break out the big boys (in my case, a small army of 1617 series) with dust capture on an extractor (now improved with the Oneida router hood) or I am outside and don’t much care. With no vac line, and no power line, it makes it real pleasant to finesse an inlay, carve a small mortise, round over an edge, or run it down a track (the FSN OFA 32 kit – seriously… bring this stuff to North America!) do make a groove/dado or just to make a line of 5mm shelf pin holes

So for me, a cordless colt would be great, and a cordless full size would be pleasant. But really, a corded model with something like the Festool Plug-it would also be ok. Wouldn’t mind having one plug near where I’m working an just swap what tool has it

Thanks for the feedback. Good comments there. Now to your questions..

The FSN OFA 32? Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge…

I am still learning what I can and can’t say on here, they don’t trust us engineers. Haha. So on some of these questions, I have actual answers and dates. I will share whatever I can as soon as I clear it.

Keep asking away, I will share whatever. If you want to geek out over behind the scenes stuff, that is cool too.

Dadgineer

Thanks for the feedback. Good comments there. Now to your questions..

The FSN OFA 32? Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge…

I am still learning what I can and can’t say on here, they don’t trust us engineers. Haha. So on some of these questions, I have actual answers and dates. I will share whatever I can as soon as I clear it.

Keep asking away, I will share whatever. If you want to geek out over behind the scenes stuff, that is cool too.

How about the cordless vacs? I have the first gen wand one that I imported but would not mind the improvements of the new ones

Awesome ones on the way. Like seriously awesome. I actually don’t know the exact timing (yes, I really don’t) but they are around the office. My buddy has those products, so let me check in.

I am going to need to start a list of all these questions. haha.

Dadgineer

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

May I gently and politely point out that you never ask a customer “why?”. If they want it and it sells, make it. If you don’t someone else will and you lose market share. Particularly in cordless tools because once a customer enters into a line of cordless tools, chances are they will expand on that instead of buying another brand. With all due respect, please take this into consideration.

JimDaddyO, sorry for my wording. I wasn’t asking why as in why would you want that. I was asking why, tell me more. Re-reading that, yes, sounds bad. I was never disagreeing with the concept of a cordless router. I don’t disagree with the concept of a cordless anything for that matter.

I have spent a lot of my life at Bosch in the cordless world, so I completely understand the battery system concept. We talk about cordless conversion constantly and how we can get more tools into the system. Heck I was a cordless marketing manager for a while (flashbacks..)

As I mentioned somewhere in one of these posts, I started the original Bosch Power Box. That product was all about the system. That product was so cool and fun, it was a giant springboard into the cordless system.

I work for bosch and get discounts and switching from NiCad to Li-Ion was painful enough for me, so I understand.

Dadgineer

JimDaddyO, sorry for my wording. I wasn’t asking why as in why would you want that. I was asking why, tell me more. Re-reading that, yes, sounds bad. I was never disagreeing with the concept of a cordless router. I don’t disagree with the concept of a cordless anything for that matter.

I have spent a lot of my life at Bosch in the cordless world, so I completely understand the battery system concept. We talk about cordless conversion constantly and how we can get more tools into the system. Heck I was a cordless marketing manager for a while (flashbacks..)

As I mentioned somewhere in one of these posts, I started the original Bosch Power Box. That product was all about the system. That product was so cool and fun, it was a giant springboard into the cordless system.

I work for bosch and get discounts and switching from NiCad to Li-Ion was painful enough for me, so I understand.

Oh man Steve, I have been buying into the cordless Bosch since around 2004, my first battery packs were the platinum, then went to the blue core, what a difference, I was still using them up until say two years ago, after finding this great site, and hearing lots of members raving about the new lithium, (before) the core battery packs, , so I decided to sell off my NiCad and update to the lithium, actually, one of my co workers bought a complete set of my NiCad, he’s still very happy with them.
    Anyway, glad to hear that bosch will be adding more cordless tools

I hear you about the transition, I had a hard time letting go of my still great NiCad.
    Not being bias here, but if you ask me, Bosch always had the upper hand in the battery died of the market, never had any issues with my older Bosch.

I’m really looking forward to hearing more about the Bosch upgrades.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Cordless tools, for me…..I am not tripping over, or having to be aware of the cord around my feet. This is particularly true of a router if you are going around all sides of a surface….like a coffee table top. I find it is one of the things I really like about the 18V jig saw I have. Any time you have to completely turn the tool around, it’s nice to know you are not going to cut into or toward the cord. I would imagine for doing anything with a long run it would eliminate extension cords too.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

@dadgineer good ro here that the new colt is out and that the team chose to work out the bugs first.. its far better to put out a finished product than to have something that gets recalled. similarly whats worse people getting hurt by a defective tool or people getting hurt becasue their fighting over who gets to use it first on the jobsite or in the shop lol

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Yes, hard decisions had to be made, and people were mad at the delays, but we had to make it right.

Haha, I wish we would release power tools like Windows releases software. “Oh don’t worry that your tool doesn’t work right, just connect it to the internet and we will release a fix, maybe. Eventually.”

Dadgineer

cordless

A cordless version of the Colt with the Core packs would be pretty useful when we have a plunge base for mortises, given that the material removal is comparable to plunge drilling out the mortise before cleaning it up with a milling pass.

There’s a video of a woodworker on Youtube who uses a set of Ridgid cordless routers with different bits in each one in a commercial environment, so they don’t have to change out the bits and they can pick up the specific router in question for the specific profile.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Patience… Soon….

as far as I know we will see the plunge base in Q2 2018.
    It’s definitely odd that Bosch did not time the release correct.
    Router and plunge base should have been released in the same time frame, but now those two products are 5 to 6 month apart.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 812 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.834 seconds