dcsimg

NEW Bosch 18V Cordless Portable Vacuum Review – BTP Review

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 250 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

PREFACE: This tool is not available in North America! If interested in purchasing, your best bet will likely be to purchase via eBay from an international seller.

Specs can be found here: http://www.bosch-pt.com.au/au/en/professional/power-tools/c131491/p118315/all-purpose-extractors/gas-18v-li.html

A cordless vacuum is one of those tools that can pay for itself very quickly if you consider the amount of time it can save you when cleaning up on a job site. I carry the DeWalt ½ gallon wet/dry vac on the truck and it works great. While I have no real complaints about the DeWalt, the Bosch provided a few features that were a better fit for me for certain projects.

A large portion of my time is spent installing dimensional letters and signs in lobby and reception areas. This typically involves drilling large numbers of 3/16″ holes in drywall, which results in a large amount of drywall dust on the floor. Prior to purchasing the Bosch, I would use the DeWalt for cleaning up the dust. It worked fine, but due to the narrow intake area, cleaning up could be a lengthy process. Lack of a floor attachment and vacuum tube also meant that all clean up work has to be done while kneeling down. That may not be a problem for some, but I definitely would prefer to be able to stand.

Enter the Bosch GAS18V-LI. The Bosch includes a vacuum tube that measures approximately 18″ in length. The vacuum by itself also measures approximately 18″ in length. So the combined length of the vacuum, the vacuum tube and the floor attachment is just over 36″ in length. I’m 6′-1″ and the fully assembled vacuum is the perfect length for cleaning floors. There is also a crevice tool included, which when attached to the vacuum tube, gives an overall length of 39″ – great for corners, crevices, baseboard, low window sills, etc.

The vacuum includes an LED light which is bright enough to provide moderate light to the area you’re vacuuming, even with the vacuum tube and floor tool or crevice tool attached. The vacuum has a low and high speed, a detachable dust cup, a HEPA filter and a wrist strap. It is very light weight and it’s very ergonomic and comfortable to use.

Run time, in my opinion, is excellent. Starting with a fully charged Slim Pack battery, I went around the house and on the ‘HIGH’ setting, I vacuumed baseboards, bare floors, etc. I figured it would die before I was done, but it was still going strong. So I would turn it on for a few minutes and then shut it off to let it cool down for a couple of minutes. Run times were as follows:

(9 minutes) 12:38 – 12:47 (record time)
    (5 minutes) 12:47 – 12:52 (record time / cool down)
    (8 minutes) 1:01 – 1:09 (record time / cool down)
    (5 minutes) 1:17 – 1:22 (record time / cool down)
    (1 minute) 1:44 – 1:45 (battery died)

TOTAL TIME: 28 minutes!

The Slim Pack battery gave a combined total of 28 minutes of vacuuming on ‘HIGH’! Very impressive results for a small battery and what I figured would be a high-draw tool.

If you are considering adding a cordless vacuum to your arsenal of tools, I would recommend the Bosch GAS18V-LI without hesitation. It has far exceeded my expectations.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

P.S. The case shown is the Bosch demolition hammer – the case isn’t for the vacuum, nor does the vacuum come with one. The good news is it will fit in the L-Boxx 2. But the tube won’t fit, not even diagonally. You would need to trim a couple of inches off and remove the battery and lay it as shown. But it can be done!

Disclaimer: The vacuum tube is tapered. If you shorten the tube to fit the box, the O.D. may no longer fit the floor tool or crevice tool.

Resident Sign Guy

Nice write up Moze!

I’ve been thinking of getting a cordless vac. I have a little bucket vac that I like for small/quick clean ups.

Wish this was available stateside!

How’s run time compared to the DeWalt?

Thanks for the review . Hate when things are not sold state side .

Always willing to learn .

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Nice write up Moze!

I’ve been thinking of getting a cordless vac. I have a little bucket vac that I like for small/quick clean ups.

Wish this was available stateside!

How’s run time compared to the DeWalt?

I’ve never tested the DeWalt to see what the run time is. I did however ditch the NiCad battery and picked up a lithium battery for it and it made a huge difference.

Thanks for the review . Hate when things are not sold state side .

Agreed…but for what it’s worth, I bought this from an overseas seller and had it in less than a week. Really no reason not to buy that way if you’re wanting one.

Resident Sign Guy

Thanks Moze for the great review. The battery run time is especially appealing. I have a couple of DeWalt models and the battery hardly lasts the job. Based on your review this vac will be on my radar. Hopefully it arrives in the US soon.

redwood
    Pro

Is it improper to ask what the price range for this is? I’m a little surprised it doesn’t come in a box, or at least a bag. Though, I guess my Makita blower didn’t come with anything.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Great review as always – thanks Moze. This is definitely on my list as I make my DeWalt departure in the next few months. Really impressed with that run time too!

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks Moze for the great review. The battery run time is especially appealing. I have a couple of DeWalt models and the battery hardly lasts the job. Based on your review this vac will be on my radar. Hopefully it arrives in the US soon.

You bet. The price from oversea sellers really isn’t too bad if you decide to spring for it.

Is it improper to ask what the price range for this is? I’m a little surprised it doesn’t come in a box, or at least a bag. Though, I guess my Makita blower didn’t come with anything.

Not at all…it was $100 ($99?) shipped.

It came in a cardboard box if that counts…? 🙂

Great review as always – thanks Moze. This is definitely on my list as I make my DeWalt departure in the next few months. Really impressed with that run time too!

Yeah, the run time really surprised me. I figured maybe 10 minutes, tops.

Resident Sign Guy

Wow Moze your review really, really impresses me. Gotta get the wife on board and I may join you as a fellow NA owner of this vac! Very, very cool that it fits in an L2 and that the runtime is as good as it is…!

Any concern in the future about getting a new filter?

John S

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Wow Moze your review really, really impresses me. Gotta get the wife on board and I may join you as a fellow NA owner of this vac! Very, very cool that it fits in an L2 and that the runtime is as good as it is…!

Any concern in the future about getting a new filter?

Why the heck aren’t my subscribes working?

Anyway, thanks, John. I’d definitely recommend it.

Good point on the filter. I had thought about that too but haven’t really looked into it yet. If I do find some, I’ll probably order in bulk.

Resident Sign Guy

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Looks a little like a dustbuster.. only much better! I needed it yesterday on a small job I did…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Fantastic review Moze! Could you just drill a hole in the L-boxx for the tube?
    Is that a 500 word review you get piggys for?
    How many piggys does a review get?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very cool Moze, I’ve always been wondering how an overseas deal works on Ebay. that opens up a whole new world to me…..and I had no idea Bosch made a vac like that, the price is not unreasonable either. Great review, Thanks

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Nice review Moze, I couldn’t find it from anywhere I would be comfortable with on EBay. The only place I saw it was from Korea. Not real trusting of that. Can you give up your seller?

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Fantastic review Moze! Could you just drill a hole in the L-boxx for the tube?<br>
    Is that a 500 word review you get piggys for?<br>
    How many piggys does a review get?

Thanks!

I suppose you could just drill a hole, don’t see why not.

Yep, 500 word review… I forget how many points it gets. I just do it for my tool brethren. 🙂

Very cool Moze, I’ve always been wondering how an overseas deal works on Ebay. that opens up a whole new world to me…..and I had no idea Bosch made a vac like that, the price is not unreasonable either. Great review, Thanks

Thanks! It was quick and painless.

Nice review Moze, I couldn’t find it from anywhere I would be comfortable with on EBay. The only place I saw it was from Korea. Not real trusting of that. Can you give up your seller?

@CaliDecks64 I bought it from the South Korean seller. Had it in less than a week.

Resident Sign Guy

Calidecks64 wrote:
    @CaliDecks64 I bought it from the South Korean seller. Had it in less than a week.

I was with Calidecks on being a little hesitant that there wasn’t another distributor (easily available, but it sounds like they really treated Moze quite well and the shipping was surprisingly quick for going nearly halfway around the world…!

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like the idea of the light. First cordless vac I have read about with that feature.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I would really like one, now I am jealous.

4-3 years ago I bought my wife a small Dyson handheld with the pet hair head. It will do about 15 minutes fully charged.
    It is a great vac.

But I sucked up some drywall dust and it was a pain to clean it out. So I got told to not use it for drywall dust !! Yes Mam.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

great write up. I’ll have to look into this as well. Very nice little unit that Bosch NA should be bringing here.

Disappointing Bosch if you are reading…

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 250 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.790 seconds