dcsimg

New Bessey K Body Revo clamps

This topic contains 40 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

I love my Bessey clamps – except if you get glue on the rails – it is near impossible to get it off – I try to be ultra careful with squeeze out, but never seems to work for me. They are really nice clamps, though.

Orange County, CA

Doobie
    Pro

I love my Bessey clamps – except if you get glue on the rails – it is near impossible to get it off – I try to be ultra careful with squeeze out, but never seems to work for me. They are really nice clamps, though.

I wonder if putting some paste wax on the bars would help.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I always cover them with painters tape for that exact reason. I had them get gummed up once and that I as enough for me.

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I didn’t know they were so sensitive to getting gummed up. With my work habits, I don’t know if they would last in my shop.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I took a look this morning, and you all were right – the handle does come off the Revos – I didn’t know that!

On my EVS trigger clamps, the stationary end comes off, so I wasn’t expecting this, lol!

I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get it back together, but it went back no problem 👍

Charlie

Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve never reversed the heads on the older style Revo clamps, but the ends definitely come off. The extenders are great by the way, for those times you need a longer clamp.

Just don’t try making your own extenders out of plywood…ask me how I know!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

I would love to hear why and pictures would be great. I would think that you could do it, as long as it was designed to handle the stresses. But maybe that’s the point of failure.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie
    Pro

I took a look this morning, and you all were right – the handle does come off the Revos – I didn’t know that!

On my EVS trigger clamps, the stationary end comes off, so I wasn’t expecting this, lol!

I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get it back together, but it went back no problem 👍

Told ya they likely did just like my older K-Body style. 😉

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get it back together, but it went back no problem

Told ya they likely did just like my older K-Body style.

Now I just need to get sone extenders, lol. @jponto07 I need plans! 😉

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Now I just need to get sone extenders,

I got real lucky on mine. One retailer had them for $16 a pair when they first came out about maybe 10-12 years ago. Now their around $25 each. I’ve got 4 pairs and have never felt I needed more. Saved me from having to buy some really long ones which I don’t have any of to this day.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I got real lucky on mine. One retailer had them for $16 a pair when they first came out about maybe 10-12 years ago. Now their around $25 each. I’ve got 4 pairs and have never felt I needed more. Saved me from having to buy some really long ones which I don’t have any of to this day.

That’s one thing I like about pipe clamps – the “extenders” are $1.50 couplings, lol!

I’ll have to keep an eye out for the KREV extenders on sale…need to put that on my Amazon wish list!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Here’s a video on them I just tripped over….

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That KR-AS jaw adapter looks very useful for odd angles.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here’s a video on them I just tripped over….

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Slzw0YDjCoE?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Thanks for posting that @doobie, there’s a lot of info there and tons of uses I had no idea about.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

I’d get some of those myself but unfortunately they are made for the Revo jaws and don’t fit the older style K-Body clamps which is all I own.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I’d get some of those myself but unfortunately they are made for the Revo jaws and don’t fit the older style K-Body clamps which is all I own.

Good to know that because I was about to buy couple of pairs. And I have the old style clamps.

Doobie
    Pro

Good to know that because I was about to buy couple of pairs. And I have the old style clamps.

Here’s a Snippet from the LV website in regards to Bessey accessories and which ones are compatible with which type of Bessey clamps.

LV actually stopped selling the Revos a while back. They now carry another similar parallel style clamp that I was just reading up on that look intriguing. I tried magnifying the product images, but I can’t make out the brand and of course just like with FastCap products they carry, they don’t mention the brand of the manufacturer anywhere in their blurb on their product pages. Anybody know what brand these are?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=72719&cat=1,43838,43844&ap=1

Their features seem unique by the sounds of it. One of the few sizes I could use to complement my work are some more 12 inch clamps. I’ve got 4 of the older style Bessey K-Body clamps in the 12 inch size, and my shop is really tight and sometimes having to use 3 footers where 12 inchers will do creates a space problem moving around in there til the glue sets up.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

The brand name is EHOMA.
    There are quite a few parallel clamp manufacturers. I guess the patent is no longer protected. I have an Irwin 24″ parallel clamp. Richelieu and Jet have their own.

Doobie
    Pro

The brand name is EHOMA.

Thank you!

Now I’m wondering if my extenders and/or Bessey setup blocks are compatible with it.

I did find a YT review of them here. Made in Taiwan, and the reviewer does show the unique handle design that you can re-orient the handle to really crank down the pressure (2 min mark of video). Unfortunately, he only can compare them to his existing JET parallel clamps and not Besseys, but still a nice quick to the point review.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would love to hear why and pictures would be great. I would think that you could do it, as long as it was designed to handle the stresses. But maybe that’s the point of failure.

@redwood, most of the issue with my home made extenders was that the tolerances weren’t tight enough. When the clamping pressure was applied, they pulled themselves out of parallel, causing a the work piece to want to bow.

Since this, I have purchased quite a few Bessey made clamp extenders, and they still suffer from this issue, albeit to a lesser degree.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.611 seconds