dcsimg

New Bessey K Body Revo clamps

This topic contains 40 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

A while back I was fortunate enough to be selected to participate in a product testing group for Bessey. They sent me a newly redesigned version of their classic K-Body Revo Parallel clamps to try out and report back on. While the testing process was ongoing, we were all told not to talk to anyone about them, but now that they’ve been released to the public, I’d love to tell you all about what I found using these new clamps.
    Many of you, I’m sure, have used the old style or another brand’s version of parallel clamp. They’re great for cabinetry, creating paneling, and many other uses (I made a few different jigs with them and they’re so helpful for keeping everything square!). The new version does all the things the old ones did but with a few extra features. The first (and most immediately noticeable) is that the handle side no longer slides freely along the bar. There is a locking mechanism now that means you can set the handle to wherever you want and it will stay there until you decide to move it or tighten it down on the workpiece. This can be a huge deal as I found when gluing up some frames around old window panels – I was able to set the clamp pads at just the spacing I wanted and then hold them vertically balanced on the stationary pads while adjusting the work piece without the adjustable side getting in my way. For any vertical application, this new feature is a huge boon. Clamps are often used as a third (or forth/ fifth/ etc) hand, with the older styles, you sometimes would need extra hands to hold your workpiece in place, while manipulating the clamp too, which could cause unnecessary complication to an already time dependent situation.
    The second improvement made was that the clamping force was increased. The same upgrade to the clamping mechanism that allows it to hold its position on the rail also beefed up the internal tolerances so that more clamping force can be applied. The old rating was 1500 lbs of pressure, the new one is up to 1700. And with that added strength, they incorporated a 6mm hex drive nut in the end of the handle so that you can tighten it all the way down with an alan wrench if you really need the full strength it can supply. I never utilized that feature, but I could see how, for more delicate glue ups, I could chuck up a hex head bit into my drill, and set the clutch to the appropriate setting, and get perfect and repeatable pressure at every joint I needed to.
    I have both the 4’ and 2’ length clamps, and they are perfect for everything I do in my shop right now, but I could see adding more to my collection in the future (never enough clamps, am I right?). The parallel clamp design makes for such a versatile clamp, but these upgrades have taken that design to the next level. I have come to expect useful, tough, well thought out tools from Bessey, and they did not disappoint on this new product at all.

Charlie

Instagram

I love the Revo’s I have but could always use more. I will have to try a couple of the new ones. Did they change the pricing on the clamps?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I can’t tell the difference. They look like the ones I have.
    When did they come up with those new features?

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I love the Revo’s I have but could always use more. I will have to try a couple of the new ones. Did they change the pricing on the clamps?

I haven’t been able to find info on that yet. The product is out now, but I’m not sure where they’ve got them stocked so far.

I got mine to test last summer, but the release was only about a month or two ago. But you’re right, they look fairly indistinguishable- which will make the new ones fit right in with any existing collections.

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I haven’t been able to find info on that yet. The product is out now, but I’m not sure where they’ve got them stocked so far.

I got mine to test last summer, but the release was only about a month or two ago. But you’re right, they look fairly indistinguishable- which will make the new ones fit right in with any existing collections.

Sounds like some very effective improvements to an already superior product. Just wish they weren’t so costly.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Same here. Mine have the little notches along the bar as well…and frankly I hate them. I much prefer my Jorgenson/Pony clamps, but unfortunately they went out of business!

The little black feet on these clamps do look different…and the plastic looks like a lighter shade of red as well, but otherwise I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference!

Is the rubber handle any easier to grip? I don’t care for how thin mine are in comparison to other brands. It makes it much harder to get a good grip on the handle, IMO.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Nice review Charlie. I have the really old non Revo K-Body clamps myself. Other than maybe adding a few 12 inch models, I have all the parralel clamps I’ve ever needed.

I will try to look at the newer ones you got at some point. Those features sound interesting.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Same here. Mine have the little notches along the bar as well…and frankly I hate them. I much prefer my Jorgenson/Pony clamps, but unfortunately they went out of business!

The little black feet on these clamps do look different…and the plastic looks like a lighter shade of red as well, but otherwise I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference!

Is the rubber handle any easier to grip? I don’t care for how thin mine are in comparison to other brands. It makes it much harder to get a good grip on the handle, IMO.

Here’s a picture of the two types I have – the handles are pretty similar, but both are bigger than the wood ones I have on my F-style clutch bar clamps

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Here’s a picture of the two types I have

Which is the new style and which is the old style Revo. I own neither, just the really really old K-Body style.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Which is the new style and which is the old style Revo. I own neither, just the really really old K-Body style.

The newer one is the one with the hex port on the end of the handle on the left.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for the review of the new clamps, very helpful.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Those are very nice clamps,, will they turn around on the bars to push the opposite direction.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Those are very nice clamps,, will they turn around on the bars to push the opposite direction.

No – I don’t think any of the K-body Revos do… that stationary end is pretty solidly attached to stay 90* to the bar. I think it would make it even more expensive per clamp to add that kind of feature. I really like the trigger clamps for that though – the EVS models. I have a pair of 12” and they’re awesome.

Charlie

Instagram

I’ve been waiting for these to come out. I’ve got a half dozen of the Besseys, though I still have a lion share of Jets. I just bought some malleable 7” f bodies but the K Body is a phenomenal parallel clamp. The Jets are awesome too, and I love the triggers on them. To pick one over the other though? I couldn’t, they are both great clamps. I’ve added the picture below showing some of what I have on a bench top glue up…

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

The newer one is the one with the hex port on the end of the handle on the left.

Yep, no hex port here. Definitely the old ones.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve been waiting for these to come out. I’ve got a half dozen of the Besseys, though I still have a lion share of Jets. I just bought some malleable 7” f bodies but the K Body is a phenomenal parallel clamp. The Jets are awesome too, and I love the triggers on them. To pick one over the other though? I couldn’t, they are both great clamps. I’ve added the picture below showing some of what I have on a bench top glue up…

That’s a nice collection for sure. I only have six paralell clamps myself – along with a few pipe clamps and longer bar clamps, but I’m not usually putting together pieces bigger than 2-3’ wife and definitely no longer than about 5-6’. So far, it’s been enough, but I know I could always use more, lol!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

No – I don’t think any of the K-body Revos do…

So the black end piece doesn’t come off on any of the Revos? That’s a shame as my end black end piece comes off on my older non-Revo K-Body clamps.

You sure it doesn’t come off. Looking at the product specs and compatibility chart on the LV site for the aluminum Bessey extender accesory, it shows that the extenders can be used for the Revo. You can’t use the extenders wothout being able to remove that little black end piece.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=60314&cat=1,43838,43844

Don’t know how that little black end piece is set up on Revo clamps, but here’s some picks of my older K-Body clamps and what I’m talking about insofar as to the black end piece and the extenders.

If you can remove that black piece, you should also be able to switch the clamp head around and use the clamp as a spreader which I’ve often done with my Besseys.

HMMPH! Bessey sending you clamps for free to check out. Colour me jealous…lol. Oh, and pass my name on to them too…lol. Looks like they have made some nice improvements to them.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

HMMPH! Bessey sending you clamps for free to check out. Colour me jealous…lol. Oh, and pass my name on to them too…lol. Looks like they have made some nice improvements to them.

Trust me, no one is as surprised as I was! It was definitely a huge opportunity and I hope to get to work with them again, but I won’t hold my breath, lol.

Charlie

Instagram

redwood
    Pro

I’ve never reversed the heads on the older style Revo clamps, but the ends definitely come off. The extenders are great by the way, for those times you need a longer clamp.

Attachments:

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.395 seconds