dcsimg

New 2 hp Router Needed

This topic contains 31 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  jponto07 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

stevem
    Pro
    Sarnia, ON

i need to replace my aging yardsale 2hp ryobi, im considering the bosch 2 1/4 plunge, dont need a regular base router, already have 5 or 6 of different sizes

suggestions?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I don’t think you could go wrong with either of the 2 HP class Bosch routers. At least a dozen or so BTP members can’t be wrong.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I really like my Bosch MRP23EVS.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I really like my Bosch MRP23EVS

The trigger in the plunge base handle sets this router apart in my opinion. Very nice unit.

I would love to try the MR23 but I like sticking to one model for interchangeability between bases, including the one mounted in my router table. I have a small collection of Bosch 1617s and they can handle anything I throw them at. So for me, 1617s make more sense then the MR23, and there are lots of sales on now for both routers. If you are starting out now, the MR23 has some killer features, with the handle controls and better ergonomics and slightly more power

For smaller use, I have a Bosch colt with fixed and plunge base, but thats a whole other category

The 1617 is a nice router. The only downside I have found about it is that there is no LED and I am not particularly fond of the wooden ball handles on the fixed base. The plunge base handles are nicer. Other than that, it has gobs of power, the soft start is wonderful and it is pretty smooth running. That said, I am not an authority on routers.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

The 1617 is a nice router. The only downside I have found about it is that there is no LED and I am not particularly fond of the wooden ball handles on the fixed base. The plunge base handles are nicer. Other than that, it has gobs of power, the soft start is wonderful and it is pretty smooth running. That said, I am not an authority on routers.

Thats a real good point about the turned handles. I dont think they are all identical. One of my fixed bases just never felt quite right so I took it out of rotation. If you can feel the handles beforehand, it would be a good idea

I think you can also just buy the handles, in case you would want to try shaping them a bit. Ive seen 1617s with modified knobs as well

Agree a LED would be nice. My shop is hrighter than the surface of the sun, but I still appreciate a light where Im cutting

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

You can’t go wrong with either, MR23 or 1617. Both are great routers

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Both of those bosch are nice but the Dewalt dw621 is pretty nice to. The dust extraction is fantastic.

Both of those bosch are nice but the Dewalt dw621 is pretty nice to. The dust extraction is fantastic.

Dewalt and Porter Cable do make good routers, but for what is basically the same money, Id go with the Bosch, and buy the dust collection kit.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I really like my older model, like the variable speed trigger, might have to try an update eventually, but like most Bosch products, still going strong.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@stevem,
    I recently had the pleasure to use the Bosch MR23 with plunge base and it is worlds apart from my old Black & Decker. I like the integrated LED, trigger on the handle and It has a lot of flexibility with the variable speed.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie
    Pro

I have a few 2hp routers, none Bosch so far. My favorite is my Festool 1400 by far.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Dewalt and Porter Cable do make good routers, but for what is basically the same money, Id go with the Bosch, and buy the dust collection kit.

That’s true but there is always a big difference when a tool has built in dust extraction that was made from the ground up vs and ad on, the bosch plunger router we have i am not to impressed with, but other than that it’s great.

That’s true but there is always a big difference when a tool has built in dust extraction that was made from the ground up vs and ad on, the bosch plunger router we have i am not to impressed with, but other than that it’s great.

In either case, its not like Routers make a lot of chips and dust… 😉

Anonymous

I was torn between the 1617 or MR23 when getting one to use with my router table and without, I chose the MR23EVSK kit that comes with both bases and some accessories. Although I have used it for both it tends to live mostly in my table now since getting the little Colt, I think you’ll be fine with either one. Good luck

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I haven’t tried the 1617, but I’ll throw my vote out for the MR23. I have loved it. It’s super comfortable in my hands, and has plenty of power for whatever you’ll use it for. It seems like, from everything I’ve heard, the MR23 is going to be a better one for using hand held.

Charlie

Instagram

I haven’t tried the 1617, but I’ll throw my vote out for the MR23. I have loved it. It’s super comfortable in my hands, and has plenty of power for whatever you’ll use it for. It seems like, from everything I’ve heard, the MR23 is going to be a better one for using hand held.

I think thats the best endorsement of Bosch routers possible.

Everyone who has and uses a 1617 wants to keep using and recommending 1617s
    Everyone who has and uses an MR23 wants to keep using and recommending MR23s

Both are clearly good enough that those who have them love them and recommend them

And everyone loves their colt

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Get both (well all three) of the bosch routers.

I have 2 1617 in tables.

I have 2 MR23 with about 5 or 6 basses for handheld work.

I have 2 colts WITH the plunge base for hand held work.

ALL great routers and I wouldn’t be without and of them.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Get both (well all three) of the bosch routers.

I have 2 1617 in tables.

I have 2 MR23 with about 5 or 6 basses for handheld work.

I have 2 colts WITH the plunge base for hand held work.

ALL great routers and I wouldn’t be without and of them.

How do you find the power difference between the 1617 and MR23?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.560 seconds