dcsimg

need some help

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

I’m trying to build ron paulk stile adjustable tool cubbies. i have tried making 4 different jigs and every time I’m getting un consistent dados the will not stay parallel i have even used the same jig on two different boars and got different results.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Could you show us a pic of the jig you are using, please, that may help to solve your problem.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m trying to build ron paulk stile adjustable tool cubbies. i have tried making 4 different jigs and every time I’m getting un consistent dados the will not stay parallel i have even used the same jig on two different boars and got different results.

Man that’s a lot of dodos, I guess you’ve tries clamping down a straight edge and using a router. I would dado a full sheet and then rip it down. Are you building out your trailer? Ron Paulk sure has his looking good.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Here is a link to plans for a nice, simple dado jig. The jig I use is very similar and it has worked well for me for a couple years.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/media/pdf/204/adjustabledadojig.pdf

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

Man that’s a lot of dodos, I guess you’ve tries clamping down a straight edge and using a router. I would dado a full sheet and then rip it down. Are you building out your trailer? Ron Paulk sure has his looking good.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/C1XRvWrLip0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

the thing with using a full sheet is the if your off a little it will be worse at 48″ then at 14″ that i need and yes il building out my new trailer

Doobie

Personally, I think Paul may have went about it with the wrong orientation. Wouldn’t it work better to avoid the support shelf sagging problem to have vertical indexed slotted shelves instead? Who cares if a tool like a drill is standing up.

Are you use wood or steel jig rails for cutting .

Always willing to learn .

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

wood I made one just like this one and have tried other variations

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/KJQV8Vam7FA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Okay from what video you posted it looks like it should work . Is there play in your router bit collar .

Always willing to learn .

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/KJQV8Vam7FA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Okay from what video you posted it looks like it should work . Is there play in your router bit collar .

there is very little but i can’t figure out a good way to get a titer fit I’m using a 3/8 collar and made the tracking dado with a 3/8 straight cut router bit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’d suspect an issue with your jig.

From the video, I would assume the router bit was used with a bushing guide?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Maybe drop the question on what kind of router bit he is using on his you tube page?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Could you cut them on the table saw?

Stilla
    Pro

this guy in the videos, has some serious ocd. i bet this guy works alone, none of his workers, would put his tools back where they belong.

this guy is dragging more weight in wood ,than he is in tools, in that trailer.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Plywood is rarely the same thickness as it is sold as, usually 1/16″, unless, like Canada it is metric thickness (yet still sold in 4 x 8 foot sheets, go figure that one out). For a router dado you will want undersized bits specifically meant for dadoes for plywood.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

Could you cut them on the table saw?

not easily I’m trying to do 8′ long peace

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

this guy in the videos, has some serious ocd. i bet this guy works alone, none of his workers, would put his tools back where they belong.

this guy is dragging more weight in wood ,than he is in tools, in that trailer.

I find Ron Paulk to be on the upper end of what he does and I would never bag on someone with his expertise. I’m sure he is doing very good for him and his family.

none of his workers, would put his tools back where they belong.

Some of these guys actually label where to tools go I know crazy.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Plywood is rarely the same thickness as it is sold

In the US the big box stores are required to sell plywood at the actual thickness not the nominal thickness Confuses the heck out of me looking for the 1/2″ or 3/4′ plywood.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Plywood is rarely the same thickness as it is sold

In the US the big box stores are required to sell plywood at the actual thickness not the nominal thickness Confuses the heck out of me looking for the 1/2″ or 3/4′ plywood.

I think it’s a conspiracy brought about by router bit manufacturers…lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I personally like cutting dadoes on the table saw, and although 8 foot pieces can be cumbersome, I find it easier than trying to use a router. The fence being locked in place means that you’re guaranteed parallel and matching dadoes. You may have to use a sled of some kind for the cuts too far from the edge for the fence to work, but still I think it’s better than router dadoes. I know people like them.
    If you do rout dadoes, use your longest, squarest square to set the jig, and do a test cut for depth and width to get the bit size right. If you need to make two passes with the router to get the width right, use an “auxiliary fence” butted up to your jig’s fence that moves the cut out the appropriate amount. That way you don’t need to reclamp it once it’s perpendicular to the edge of the workpiece.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.290 seconds