dcsimg

Need recommendation for a new corded hammer drill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I would like some recommendations on a new corded hammer drill.

My old hammer drill, a Makita HP1501 9/16″ keyless chuck did everything I wanted, lasted over 20 years, was stolen when my garage was broken into (and took all my cordless tools and batteries as well as a compound miter saw). They left me with my 40 year old Craftsman table saw because it’s too heavy to steal.

I would be satisfied to buy another Makita HP1501 but they don’t make it the same way anymore.

MUST HAVE FEATURES
    CORDED (I have a cordless hammer drill, as well as a SDS rotary hammer, so I need one that is “medium” duty)
    KEYLESS CHUCK
    HARD CASE
    VARIABLE SPEED
    REVERSIBLE
    DRILL MODE & HAMMER MODE

I will be using this hammer drill 80% of the time drilling concrete blocks to install Tapcon screws, or using hole saws to drill wood studs for plumbing and electrical. I don’t use it for anything else.

It is very important for the drill to be as “tight” as possible so if I have a narrow stud bay (less than 16″) I wouldn’t have trouble fitting the drill inside the bay with a hole saw. Seems the newer versions are longer.

I searched around and couldn’t find one that has all the must have features regardless of brand.

Thank you very much for any comments.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Most tools today do not come with a hard case. You can buy a hard case for any tool.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Clev08
    Pro

By hammer mode i’m assuming you mean hammer drill mode and not chipping mode. I don’t thing you will find one with a keyless chuck but Bosch and Milwaukee have viable options. I don’t know all the features of makita and desalts versions

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Sounds like you could use two tools. The sds is the best for the Tapcons, and they do make cordless versions. For drilling the studs and joists, you really need a right angle drill, or as some call them, “hole hawgs”

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

As mentioned in my original post, I already have a Bosch SDS rotary hammer. It does the more heavy duty demolition I need, but I don’t use it for Tapcon drilling. I need a medium duty hammer drill for that. I tried using my Bosch for drilling Tapcon holes when I put up 50 sheets of plywood over windows when hurricen Irma approached last year, the extra weight does make a difference especially when you are holding the sheet and drilling and being on a ladder even with a helper.

Also, I have a 18V cordless hammer drill. It was made by Ridgid. I bought it about a year ago and used it ONCE. I wanted a cordless to retire my corded. But after drilling about six 1/4″ holes, it takes 3 to 4 times longer then the corded. Again, if I am going up to the attic where a cord is really not convenient I might use it again, otherwise it sits in a drawer and collect dust. Funny the thief didn’t find that cordless hammer drill because I put it away. On the other hand, the cordless impact driver that came with the same kit, I use almost every day and it can drive an 8″ lag bolt through two PT 4X4 with ease. So for me the cordless hammer drill for what I use it for, is useless. I also tried using the Ridgid cordless hammer drill (in drill mode) to drill holes with hole saw, same result. Slow, and after a while, the tool shuts down (I believe some sort of overheat protection) had to wait 5-10 seconds and restart. Just not worth the trouble.

I think I found one possible candidate.

MAKITA 6408K
    4.9 Amp 3/8 in. Corded Low Noise (79dB) Variable Speed Drill with Keyless Chuck and Hard Case

Anyone has experience with this one?

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I’ve never used a hammer drill that I liked, the ones I’ve used tickle my hand too much! For tapcons I find my Bosch Bulldog SDS to be perfect, but I’ve never had to do the kind of drilling you mentioned, putting plywood over windows. Cordless tools have come a long way in recent years, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there are cordless hammer drills out there that will perform as well as a corded model.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Cordless tools have come a long way in recent years, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there are cordless hammer drills out there that will perform as well as a corded model.

The Ridgid 18V 5X brushless cordless hammer drill I got last year didn’t perform to my expectation. Although may be my expectations may be too high. I was hoping it would retire my corded, but no way.

I remember I was running some electrical on the outside concrete wall. So need to tapcon in a few weatherproof boxes and straps for the conduit runs. I was so excited to be using the lighter cordless and no extension cords to drag around. After drilling about six holes I went for my extension cord LOL.

The 18V impact driver I got from the same combo kit DID retire my corded impact driver.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well Bosch is known for their concrete tools and hammer drills so you might want to give it a try.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Clev08
    Pro

@miamicuse the Makita 6408k is a regular drill, it does not have a hammer drill function that you would need for drilling into concrete. The Makita HP1640 would be the hammer drill version, but once again it has a keyed chuck.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@miamicuse the Makita 6408k is a regular drill, it does not have a hammer drill function that you would need for drilling into concrete. The Makita HP1640 would be the hammer drill version, but once again it has a keyed chuck.

Thank you for pointing that out. It looks exactly like my 1501 so I assumed it’s a hammer drill. Not so. The search continues.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

This is what I have for a corded hammer drill.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Drilling/Hammer-Drills/5380-21

Just used it this week a bunch to install TapCons for basement bracing. Love that thing. Very powerful. However, it does not have a keyless chuck. I also would not personally use it to drill between studs for plumbing and electrical. I have a Milwaukee Hole Hawg for that.

For what it’s worth, I think you would be a lot happier using a Hole Hawg or SuperHawg with a self-feed bit for electrical and small diameter plumbing lines, and the same drill with the MIlwaukee “Big Hawg” hole saws for larger 3″ and 4″ plumbing pipes.

I don’t know your experience in the trades, so hopefully I haven’t insulted you by this suggestion. 😆

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I bought a corded Bosch hammer drill off CL a couple years back and love it for the random times I’m drilling into concrete…it’s got plenty of power, and I bet the newer corded model would be even better. They’re supposed to be the masters of concrete so I’d imagine they have the oompf for whatever you’d need it to do.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-hd18-2-rt-8-5-amp-1-2-in–two-speed-hammer-drill/bshrhd18-2-rt,default,pd.html?ref=pla-mobile&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=bshrhd18-2-rt&gclid=CjwKCAjwt5DXBRAtEiwAa3vyEh8VUhEJnzxtwNs678il6CN0i1Lpq_rumt98rF9SZJGMdrYs2Wp3gBoCnqEQAvD_BwE

Charlie

Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

I’m pretty sure that the hammer drill you are looking for is too strong for a keyless chuck to handle. A more powerful hammer drill requires a stronger and more durable chuck, which is either a keyed chuck or an sds+.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I already have a SDS rotary hammer, so this hammer drill is for when I don’t want to break out the SDS drill or it’s too long/heavy.

This one seems to fit my needs – Makita HP1641K

Makita 6 Amp 5/8 in. Hammer Drill with Case

However the reviews seems to be very mixed with quite a significant people saying the chuck seizes a week after purchase so I am not sure.

May be I should stay with a keyed chuck but I so hate looking for a key. Like a HP2050.

6.6 Amp 3/4 in. Corded Hammer Drill with Torque Limiter Side Handle Depth Gauge Chuck Key Hard Case

Clev08
    Pro

@miamicuse I found a ratcheting chuck version from Australia, it might cost a little to ship it, but you would not need to have a chuck key.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.416 seconds