dcsimg

Need help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

So, hey guys.. im having a hard time finding any info on this online. So I figure maybe theres some pros in here that have been doing this for longer than I have.

So recently I had a big remodel project. It came out great, we really did a good job, I’m proud of my boys. The only problem is after a 14 week turn around from gutted to put back together, toward the end my client was very pushy about “get it done” he even scheduled movers to get him back in before we were completed.

So we put a small rush on things in the end. Unfortunately, we all know how quick work goes. Not well. So one of the last things we were doing was the master bathroom. My guys pulled overtime, did non-stop work to get it done. They messed up some crown molding, they also messed up the Tile shower.

The home owner loves his shower, but he has a dog he let off his leash.. his son’s father in law. who is chewing me out over the mistakes. (Its glass tile, tiny little tile pieces.) some got waves in it, in a small portion and others are not sitting against the wall completely.

he wants me to completely take out the shower and put it back together.

That would cost me more than I even profited on the job. Itd be putting the business in a hole.

So, my question is, what are my options and whats best to do?

the small things like crown we are redoing no problem, any small things around we have come back and fixed or touched up.

But the shower is a monster looming over me now. Its sealed, it works, its not faulty. Its causing no damage to the bathroom at all. It just isn’t the best looking.

Do I;
    A.) Eat the cost and be put in a hole.
    B.) Offer a refund on the shower.
    C.) Do nothing? if that’s even an option. I don’t want to hurt the reputation either.

Thanks

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Stop communicating with the son’s Father-in-law. This job is not run by committee! Deal only with the owner (He is the only one you contracted with). If the errors are legitimate and were not subcontracted…. tell the owner that the guys were rushed and left some errors. The issue won’t create damage and could you come back over to repair them after a break in your schedule becomes available?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Remodels are stressful times for homeowners. No matter how long they take, as they near the end and the homeowner can see light at the end of the tunnel, they get anxious.

Explain the situation and do what is right. You need to decide if you want to leave your name on a finished product where the workmanship may not be the best.

On the other side, you say the job went great but if the cost of a shower puts you in the hole on a 14 week gut to finish puts you in the hole, you really need to look at your pricing model and what you use for overhead and profit. I can guess what the total price would have been and based on that the OH & P should be significantly more than the cost of a tile shower.

Just my 2 cents worth, opinions are worth what you pay for them, this is free, so it may not be worth much.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Redoing a shower would be about a $2k nut. 🙁

No good answer for you other than make sure you dont compromise on your estimates and add wiggle room.

What can go wrong will and it ends up never enough. Im wrapping up a bath where I tiled. It took much longer than my tile sub does. Sadly finding quality subcontract work is becoming a problem and my normally good tiler has given me a rough job 3 times in a row. I had to pull about 20 tiles last one and redo it.

This job came out great with my efforts but not as economically rewarding.

Tough call if I continue hunting new tile subs, begin doing more myself or stop taking on the type of work.

You could break your azz for weeks as you know and no one cares about anything other than the finishing phase.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

CB
    Spectator

Everyone wants it finished, fast, and free.

Sometimes, one more phrase that begins with f is the final result.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Everyone wants it finished, fast, and free.

The third requirement, that goes with fast and cheap/free, is top-notch work.
    Everybody wants that.
    Even if their dwelling is falling apart they want museum quality work.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thats right everybody wants top notch work….:lol:

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

CB
    Spectator

Thats right everybody wants top notch work….:lol:

Nice!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Quality, Cheap and Fast. You seldom get more than 2 and many times only one.

Showers around here go for about 4K plus material. If that sets a 14 week job in the hole, the pricing model is all wrong.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I guess one BIG factor would be how far apart is the projected time frame you gave your client when the contract was inked and how long it actually took. If you have initially communicated to the client 14 weeks and by week 11 it looks to the client you were 50% done and if that prompted his rushing you to finish by the 14th week, that would be a different story then say you told him 16 weeks and he rushed you to finish at the end of 14 weeks.

Were there additional items were added after the original contract that caused delays.

Were there other issues beyond your control that caused more delays, such as client ordered materials not arriving in time for installation etc…

Seems there is a lack of communication somewhere, that if you allowed your client to rush you, something has to give, either quality or price.

As a client I would want it corrected.

As a contractor I would want to do as little as possible but don’t want to be embarrassed to claim this work is my work.

I suggest sitting down with the client over a cup of coffee to work something out. Talk to the client, not the dog.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.216 seconds