dcsimg

Need help! Removing old, stripped, tapcon screws

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hey guys, I’m taking an old metal canopy down in my backyard to put a new one up but can’t seem to fully take the old one down. The 4 uprights are screwed down with 4 tapcon screws in each one into a concrete pad. The screw head appears fine but all of the bits I’ve used simply slip out when any amount of torque is applied.

I’ve tried the easy-out kits but that definitely isn’t getting enough torque to extract these screws.

I was able to break one screw head off (which is great) but I can’t get any of the other screws to budge. I’ve also tried pry bars, hammers and brute force doesn’t seem to be working.

Any tips or tricks or tools I may need to use to get this done (preferably without ruining the concrete) would be greatly appreciated at this point!

Attachments:
    RyanF
    Pro

Not a whole lot to clamp onto, but try a pair of vice grips clamped tight. Parallel to the ground.

Not a whole lot to clamp onto, but try a pair of vice grips clamped tight. Parallel to the ground.

Yeah that’s going to be pretty tough…there isn’t a lot of clearance to work with. Didn’t think of leveraging it that way so its definitely worth a shot.

Biggest problem is doing this 16 times!

Thanks for the idea!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Cut them with a sawzall.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

If your using a Philips and it just wants to stip/ pop out I’d recommend trying a #1 or #2 Robertson.

If you can’t get it that way you could probably get the edge of a chisel underneath and give it a good hit. The head would probably shear off that way.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

instead of a Sawzall I would suggest a grinder. Tapcons are hardened and a blade will take forever, but a grinding wheel will make short work of the heads.

Doobie

Grinder. Especially if you’re not looking to re-use/salvage the existing metal uprights of the old canopy frame.

If you don’t have a grinder you could try a cold chisel. Or just smash the hell out of the whole thing until it breaks, you know if you’re not worried about destroying the concrete.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

A #3 Phillips work best with a pry bar under the head lifting till the teeth bite.

My first thought was like already said, grinder.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Are you using a screwdriver or an impact ? Your chances of removing those tapcons using an impact driver are much much better than using a screwdriver

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I agree with the grinder. Easy peezy.

Doobie

If you use a grinder to grind off the heads, you’ll be left with a bunch off screw stubbies sticking out of the concrete once you remove the metal frame of the old canopy. Rather than using the grinder again to shave those off and risk scarring the surrounding concrete, now yow could use an OMT to cut the stubbies off. There would be minimal scarring of the surrounding concrete around the screw hole if any using that.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If you use a grinder to grind off the heads, you’ll be left with a bunch off screw stubbies sticking out of the concrete once you remove the metal frame of the old canopy. Rather than using the grinder again to shave those off and risk scarring the surrounding concrete, now yow could use an OMT to cut the stubbies off. There would be minimal scarring of the surrounding concrete around the screw hole if any using that.

Once there is something to grab onto, he could probably pull the screw out with linemans pliers. No need to cut the stub off.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

the stub looks like it would be 1/8″ or less, not much to grab on to. with the tapcons being hardened, not many OMT blades would even touch it, other than possibly the Bosch carbide OMT blade but that is even doubtful. I think the best answer is grinder all the way.

Doobie

the stub looks like it would be 1/8″ or less, not much to grab on to. with the tapcons being hardened, not many OMT blades would even touch it, other than possibly the Bosch carbide OMT blade but that is even doubtful. I think the best answer is grinder all the way.

You’re likely right Kurt. I have limited experience in that. While I have used my OMT to shave thru galv screws, I’ve never used it for Tapcon stuff that I can recall.

Doobie

Once there is something to grab onto, he could probably pull the screw out with linemans pliers. No need to cut the stub off.

My worry with that is that he would potentially deface/chip-out the concrete face which is what he was most concerned about in his OP.

One thing I would try first is to simply grip the stems with a vice grip and see if they unscrew without much fuss. Once the tension of holding the framing has been released, they may be amenable for this.

mommozz
    Pro

Ran into the exact same situation last Friday. Grabbed a grinder and made quick work of it.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I second Kurt’s suggestion of a grinder all the way. A grinder will make quick work of those Tapcons…as for the stubs – with some care I think there would very little damage to the concrete.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Hi @Andrew24 what was the out come trying to remove those tapcons with the tips that were givien .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.455 seconds