dcsimg

Need advice for a startup: installation jobs from retailers

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  oleg_sobolev 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

My name is Oleg, I am running a small IT startup in Europe. We have some successful traction here, and now we are researching the US market, which we do not know a lot about. So we need advice from the local contractors. I am not trying to promote anything, I just need your thoughts on the topic. If you could spare some time and share what you think, it would help me a lot to get a better understanding of your market, and I’d be very grateful.

We are making an IT platform, which helps retailers to provide high quality additional services to their customers (furniture assembly, home appliances installation, etc.) by connecting retailers with local contractors and providing customers with an online tool where they can view the status of their bookings, change details if necessary and rate the service after work is completed.

Basically, now we have the following process in Europe:
    1. We find retailers that sell stuff that needs to be professionally installed and sign a contract with them.
    2. We find local contractors willing to do those jobs and sign contracts with them.
    3. The retailer offers the price list for services, contractors agree or disagree. If they agree, we match them.
    4. When the customer buys something in the store with installation included, we pass the order for the installation to all contractors, that agreed to work with the respective store. They receive the order via mobile app. They can again accept or refuse.
    5. When the order is done we pay the contractor (the job is prepaid – the customer pays at the store) and ask the customer to rate the service.
    6. For contractors, there are no monthly payments or any other payments to receive the order (as some lead-gen services do). We charge the retailer a commission for the order processing.

Heres what we want to find out:
    1. Might this kind of service be interesting for contractors in the US?
    2. Maybe you have experience working with a similar process? Like Amazon Home services? What is your experience? What’s good about it? What’s bad about it?
    3. Did you have experience (or know about a business process) of being a subcontractor for a large DIY retailer, e.g. Lowe’s or Home Depot? Or a small local store? What’s good about it? What’s bad about it? Do they have an IT system, apps, and everything, or they just pass orders by phone or email?
    4. Any other thoughts or comments are very welcome.

It is really valuable for me to understand how the business of installation/assembly works. Thanks again for reading this and have a great day.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Here we go.
    Selling nothing for something.
    Or something similar.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

These type of services is already fairly common in the USA and offered by just about most home centers and material suppliers.

Amazon and home advisors and many other websites already offer bundled services to install stuff you buy off their sites. Home Depot, Lowes, Lumber Liquidators, Floors and Decors, all have bundled services for installation.

The advantage to the clients obviously is the one stop shopping, the inclusion of delivery of the materials by the installer, and the illusion that the big name firm is standing behind the quality of the installation.

What is unique about your process and platform that differentiate yourself from what’s already out there?

Amazon and home advisors and many other websites already offer bundled services to install stuff you buy off their sites. Home Depot, Lowes, Lumber Liquidators, Floors and Decors, all have bundled services for installation.

Thanks a lot for your answer! Yes, we know some of them and have researched how they work. Maybe you have experience of working as their contractor? I want to know more about the process. Is the price list fair? What type is the contract? How they pass orders to the contractor: do they have an app or IT system, or they do in by email? How they schedule a time with the client?

We basically are making a software platform for the retailers to digitalize the process of managing their contractors for bundled services. And we want to find out whether there are pain points for the retailer that we could solve. If you have experience working as a contractor for them, I would be very happy if you could share some info.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.261 seconds