dcsimg

Nailers for facia, siding, sheething?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Are you all running coil nailers? Framing guns with 2″ or 15ga?

Just curious as I have a 7/16 stapler for sheething, 15ga finish and i have run 2″ in my framer. Would a coil nailer bee a good call or?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We use the Hitachi coil siding nailer for wood soffits and fascia and siding. We use a 7/16 stapler for sheeting. For aluminum soffit, we use a 1/4″ crown stapler and then stainless steel trim nails for the fascia.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

it depends on what were using for fascia. for sub fascia we use stick framing guns, if the fascia is getting aluminum clad we use stainless steel ring nails that are color matched. if its getting lodge pole pine we use stainless steel ring shank hand nails, if azec its 15 gauge stainless steel nails, soffit gets the 15 gauge nails as well, . aluminum or vinyl soffit we use both roofing nails and cladding nails. for sheathing we use framing nailers, staplers arent accepted by code here anymore because they dont provide shear strength as weve now been upgraded to a hurricane zone

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I use stick nailers . My siding when I install is vinyl and facia is wrap in tin . So I don’t need a coil nailer for short nails .

Always willing to learn .

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

ha you guys are killing me, here i am looking for an excuse to buy a coil nailer because i dont have one. But then again i need a pinner first so i guess that is good

DanSB
    Pro
    Buffalo, NY

ha you guys are killing me, here i am looking for an excuse to buy a coil nailer because i dont have one. But then again i need a pinner first so i guess that is good

We sub our framing these days, but if we do frame or just happen to need it for remodeling you can’t beat a coil nailer for decking. Way faster than sheeting a floor with a framing nailer

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I have stick nailers but I definitely prefer a coil nailer for roofing or sheathing. I just can’t justify the purchase as it’s not something I use very often.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We hand nail all our facia with hot dip galvies.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I wish I had a nailer for vinyl siding and aluminum fascia. Well I do their names are Austin and Justin, they nail siding really well with no jams.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I currently use a stick framer.

Been wanting to get a coil siding nailer for deck fascia, sheathing or subflooring. I have not made the leap though. Bostich makes does make a gun that can shoot both siding and sheathing. Not all brands allow both its either one or the other.
    http://bostitch.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=BOS%5FFRAM%5FNAILER&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=N75C-1&SDesc=15%26%23176%3B+Coil+Sheathing%2FSiding+Nailer

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

For framing and sheathing with nails, we have always been stick nailers. Our sheathing is mostly stapled with the exception of floors and braced wall panels that require nails. A coil gun will save a lot of time on reloading, but they we would have to keep two types of nails in the trailer. I also think that the weight of a coil gun outweighs the loading advantage. Around here I can typically buy stick tails a little cheaper than coils also, not to Mention that a box of coils takes up a lot more space in the trailer that a box with the same number of stick nails.

redwood
    Pro

I use a coil nailer for siding and another for roofing. I find the coil nailer much better for siding then a stick nailer. It seems lighter and holds a lot more nails. No vinyl siding here, only wood and fiber cement.

We have to use a stick nailer for sheathing, to use a heavier guage nail.

So go out and get a coil siding nailer.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

yes, I would agree with mark, we definitely use coils for siding and roofing. There is no better way to fasten todays fiber cement, wood and wood composite sidings than a coil nailer.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I refuse to do vinyl or aluminum, I know its easy money but i hate it personally so i have no interest in doing it

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

just buy the coil nailer, you can use it for cedar shingles, fibre cement, canexel siding. along with putting down underlay it will pay for itself, just make sure you get a good one such as hitachi

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.427 seconds